The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Geography degree from the OU?

Do you need to have studied a level geography to study it for a degree? I didn't do it at a level but have recently developed an interest in studying it via the OU. What kind of jobs can you get with a geography degree and is it still considered a proper degree it if it's from the OU?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Do you need to have studied a level geography to study it for a degree? I didn't do it at a level but have recently developed an interest in studying it via the OU. What kind of jobs can you get with a geography degree and is it still considered a proper degree it if it's from the OU?

Do you need to have studied a level geography to study it for a degree?
You would need A Level geography if the contents of the degree generally have quite a bit of physical geography content ie. a physical geography degree or a general geography degree.

If your interest and sole purpose of going into geography is for the human geography component, there are a number of human geography degrees at bachelor's and master's level that don't require specific A Level subjects.

If you have interest in physical geography along with human geography, then I would do geography A Level as an extra A Level.

If your purpose of going into geography is purely for the physical component, consider applying for physical geography or geoscience degrees. These can be done with a couple of sciences e.g. geography (in this context), maths, any of the sciences, possibly economics (depending on the uni).

What kind of jobs can you get with a geography degree and is it still considered a proper degree it if it's from the OU?
Geography degrees aren't specifically required for any particular job for a regulatory or legal standpoint (it's not like medicine, dentistry, or nursing where you need a specific degree to get into the field). Geography degrees can be used to apply for jobs in fields where they don't care about what subject your degree is in, for example:

Administration

Government services

Social work

Some areas of healthcare

Most areas of business (HR, marketing, accounting, sales)

IT roles

Some areas of construction

Most areas of property

Most areas of beauty and wellbeing

Creative/design and media (if you're good)

Theatre and film (if you're good)

Music (if you're good)

Anything related to writing (if you're good)

Storage

Logisitics

Armed forces and police force (if you pass certain tests, have a clean record, and are of a certain age range)

Some environmental services

Hospitality

Manufacturing

Management (if you have the relevant experience)

Retail

Care work

Travel and tourism

Charity

Entertainment (if you're good)

Translation (if you are fluent in more than one language)

Having said that, these areas don't require you to have a degree in the first place.

With further training and courses, you can go into:

Accounting

Actuary (if you have a math background e.g. A Level Maths)

Law (SQE)

Most areas of finance

Delivery and transport (licences)

Sports coaching

Teaching (via PGCE with QTS)

Should you wish, you can of course become a geographer or an academic in geography.

The OU is a recognised university and their degrees are credible. However, I would always recommend people to stretch themselves before looking into OU i.e. look into doing A Level geography and getting the grades you need before going into OU.
I don't know what the OU is like since I never studied with them, but they have pathways that tend to let anyone into their courses. I would widen as many options as possible before settling on your choice.

If you need advice on how to do the extra A Level, let me know.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Quick Reply

Latest