The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

What happens on moving in day?

Obviously we move into our campus accommodation but what happens exactly? How long do parents stay on site and do we go straight to our accommodation building and collect keys?
Reply 1
Depends on what you want to do mostly. Personally I drove up with my mum and we parked at the accommodation and then went to the office to pick up keys. There were some freshers reps around who helped us carry my stuff up to my new room. Next bit depends on you and your family to be honest.... my mum drove us to the supermarket to do a food shop, brought the food back then went for a meal out together. She went home then and left me to unpack and meet my new flatmates!
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Original post by MayaFly7
Obviously we move into our campus accommodation but what happens exactly? How long do parents stay on site and do we go straight to our accommodation building and collect keys?

Hiya, like someone said it depends on you. When I moved in, I got there as early as I possibly could (whenever it was open to move into), I picked up my keys and did some registration stuff, got all my stuff into my room and my dad left pretty much immediately as I wanted to unpack and he was in the way haha. I bought some essentials and a bit of food for the first couple of days so I didn't have to bother about shopping too soon. And then I just unpacked and said hi to people as they were coming in! I propped my door open and a few people came in and said hello and stuff. I also left a tub of chocolate in the kitchen with a note that said from k8, come say hi or whatever.

Your parents can stay as long as they want to! But I think at 18 they'd be cramping your style a bit if they stayed until late, you need to meet all your flatmates and go out if you're into that ^_^
Reply 3
Totally up to you what you prefer. I remember I was a bit nervous, so I picked up the key with my parents and went over to my room, moved my stuff in. Then my parents went to the supermarket to get some food while I stayed behind and hid in my room for a while. Haha.

Eventually I was brave enough to leave my room and met up with the girls who were already there in the kitchen (all-girls block, there were 2 third years and one other first year already there). Other girls started to arrive and we helped them move their stuff in, so by the time my parents came back I was a bit more comfortable and happy to wave them off.

We all spent the rest of the day unpacking, we all had our doors propped open and took turns to play music, it was very social. Then the whole block went out the the student union in the evening.
Original post by MayaFly7

Hi there, are you coming to enrol on Saturday 26th September? This is the day when most UK students will be moving in. It's all fairly straight forward, you'll come to collect your keys from the Chancellor's Building once you have enrolled and then you're free to go to your accommodation - more info here.
Parents are welcome to stay as long as you want them to! It all depends on preference. Some students go with their parents into the local town to check out the local area, do some supermarket shopping and getting homely bits and piece whilst some get straight into the unpacking process or getting to know other student residents. It's up to you what you want to do!

If you have any questions at all, please let me know. We look forward to welcoming you to Keele when you move in!

Illana (Residence Support)
Reply 5
Thanks for all the replies! Not too long now! :tongue:
Reply 6
I'm an EU student now living in UK and I'm a tad bit unclear as to what we are expected to bring for enrollment on 26th, to clarify, all we need to bring are our boarding passes and passports right? I read in the welcome guide that a 'financial notification schedule' is also mandatory (I've applied for a student loan but no word yet) but I don't know what that is.

Also, any ideas as to where I can sign up for medical insurance and vaccination?:redface:

*UPDATE:
Just found this helpful guide:
http://www.keele.ac.uk/welcome/keelewelcome/enrolment/ however I'm still confused about what the 'financial notification schedule is.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by IAmAlfred
I'm an EU student now living in UK and I'm a tad bit unclear as to what we are expected to bring for enrollment on 26th, to clarify, all we need to bring are our boarding passes and passports right? I read in the welcome guide that a 'financial notification schedule' is also mandatory (I've applied for a student loan but no word yet) but I don't know what that is.

Also, any ideas as to where I can sign up for medical insurance and vaccination?:redface:

*UPDATE:
Just found this helpful guide:
http://www.keele.ac.uk/welcome/keelewelcome/enrolment/ however I'm still confused about what the 'financial notification schedule is.

Hi @IAmAlfred

You should enrol on the 26th with home students. You will need to bring your accommodation boarding pass, passport and any documentation that confirms your student loan.

As an EU student, you will be able to enjoy reciprocal health care in the UK and will qualify for treatment on the NHS. You should register with the Health Centre after enrolling and will be offered a meningitis vaccination at that time.

I hope that helps?

*Alistair
Reply 8
Original post by Keele University
Hi @IAmAlfred

You should enrol on the 26th with home students. You will need to bring your accommodation boarding pass, passport and any documentation that confirms your student loan.

As an EU student, you will be able to enjoy reciprocal health care in the UK and will qualify for treatment on the NHS. You should register with the Health Centre after enrolling and will be offered a meningitis vaccination at that time.

I hope that helps?

*Alistair

Hiya Ali,

That definitely helps thank you, also how can I get to the Health centre after enrolling or will I figure it out on the day?
Original post by IAmAlfred
Hiya Ali,

That definitely helps thank you, also how can I get to the Health centre after enrolling or will I figure it out on the day?

Hiya,

The Health Centre is based in Horwood Halls - next to Flat J which is behind the Student Union.

Horwood pretty easy to spot.

Hope the move-in goes well!

Alistair

Quick Reply

Latest