The Student Room Group

PGCE bursary, how long for a response?

Those of you who got or are getting a government bursary, how long did it take from the point of filling out the form to the point at which it was confirmed.

Reply 1
Bursaries are arranged by your course provider so it's up to them to keep you updated. My course provider asked for my bank details during the registration process then, earlier this week, we had to sign an agreement. Today they confirmed the dates we'd receive our payments.
Reply 2
Original post by Pierson
Bursaries are arranged by your course provider so it's up to them to keep you updated. My course provider asked for my bank details during the registration process then, earlier this week, we had to sign an agreement. Today they confirmed the dates we'd receive our payments.

Was there not a point you were told that you are eligble? If so, how long from this point did it take to say you are getting it?
Reply 3
I gave the university my banking details and degree classification information in July. I then received an email on 10th September (a few days before the start of the university taught sessions, which along with various other information, confirmed my eligibility for a bursary but there wasn't really a need for confirmation. The criteria, as set out on the DfE's website, is pretty clear cut. There are only two criteria that you have to meet: 1) that you have doing a course that is eligible for a bursary and 2) that you hold a degree with a classification that is eligible for a bursary. I therefore wouldn't be surprised if some course providers don't send out confirmation.
Reply 4
Original post by Pierson
I gave the university my banking details and degree classification information in July. I then received an email on 10th September (a few days before the start of the university taught sessions, which along with various other information, confirmed my eligibility for a bursary but there wasn't really a need for confirmation. The criteria, as set out on the DfE's website, is pretty clear cut. There are only two criteria that you have to meet: 1) that you have doing a course that is eligible for a bursary and 2) that you hold a degree with a classification that is eligible for a bursary. I therefore wouldn't be surprised if some course providers don't send out confirmation.

I am eligble, but am concered perhaps funding has run out or something like that. I applied late for a FE PGCE.
Reply 5
There are controls on the number of places allocated to avoid issues like funding running out, but if you are concerned about the lack of communication you've received, contact your course provider. Payments are usually made monthly from October onwards, so certainly if you haven't heard anything within the next week or so, you should ask for more information.
Reply 6
Original post by Pierson
There are controls on the number of places allocated to avoid issues like funding running out, but if you are concerned about the lack of communication you've received, contact your course provider. Payments are usually made monthly from October onwards, so certainly if you haven't heard anything within the next week or so, you should ask for more information.

Do you have any ideas as to what these controls might be?
Reply 7
Training providers have to apply for an allocation of places on their PGCE courses. Places are allocated based on how many places the NCTL can afford to fund and the current needs of schools.
Reply 8
Original post by Pierson
Training providers have to apply for an allocation of places on their PGCE courses. Places are allocated based on how many places the NCTL can afford to fund and the current needs of schools.

Thank you. I have a final question, if funding is available, could i still be turned down because that provider has lots of applicants?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending