The Student Room Group

Easiest route to get a QTS

Hi,

I had completed a PGCE IN FURTHER education with no QTS…I am now an English TA in a secondary school where they’re are offering me to do an apprenticeship there and gain QTS but it’s a long process and wondering which would be an easier way to get there ?
Reply 1
Original post by sahrinbegum
Hi,

I had completed a PGCE IN FURTHER education with no QTS…I am now an English TA in a secondary school where they’re are offering me to do an apprenticeship there and gain QTS but it’s a long process and wondering which would be an easier way to get there ?

Hey there,

In my opinion, if you like the school, I'd say go for the apprenticeship. Being a teacher in a school you like makes such a difference - even if it might take a while. And you'll get your QTS at the end of it.

Failing that, is an apprenticeship in further education possible? They might have schemes you could look into...

Sorry I can't be much help here :frown:
Reply 2
Is this via the Assessment-Only route by any chance? I did it and had a very positive experience. Feel free to PM me!
Reply 3
Original post by Eduweaver
Hey there,

In my opinion, if you like the school, I'd say go for the apprenticeship. Being a teacher in a school you like makes such a difference - even if it might take a while. And you'll get your QTS at the end of it.

Failing that, is an apprenticeship in further education possible? They might have schemes you could look into...

Sorry I can't be much help here :frown:

This is excellent advice. However, it is possibly worth doing some sums. What are they offering to pay you during the apprenticeship? A PGCE will take a year and will see you teaching 120 or so days across a school year with pretty much no accountability other than for your own development. Depending on where you go and what you are to teach you could get a nice meaty bursary knowing you will be earning £30k in a year's time. If the apprenticeship is over two or more years paying £20-£25k, it probably isn't worth it. I can imagine in the second year you doing pretty much the same job as teacher but for a fraction of the cost to the school.

Just a thought.
Original post by sahrinbegum
Hi,

Hi @sahrinbegum

I hope you're well.

I think an apprenticeship could be a good option, especially if you are familiar with the school already and if it successfully leads to QTS (and then a potential teaching position in the same school after you qualify). If you are doing a secondary subject which provides a very competitive bursary (you can find out more here), then you can make an informed decision as to whether you should do an apprenticeship, which offers a salary, or a training course which offers a bursary (bearing in mind that you will need to pay a tuition fee).

Based on your message, I am assuming that you're looking at secondary English, in which case, you'll need to weigh up what works best for you, based on the bursary amount (again, bearing in mind a tuition fee) and the salaried apprenticeship (which will be taxed). You can get more information about salaried teacher training here.

The other option will be the Assessment-Only course which could see you gain QTS in 12 weeks. It is mainly for unqualified teachers who have a lot of experience working independently in classrooms. This option can also be available to TAs but you will have to demonstrate that you have had significant experience working independently. You can get more information here.

I would highly recommend that you sign up to get free support from an adviser (an experienced teacher) who can answer your questions and help you make an informed decision. You can sign up here.

I hope that helps.

Kind regards,

Zee

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending