The Student Room Group

applying for a pgce with gaps in my ug

Hi, a graduated university a few years ago studying english. I currently work as a teaching assistant and absolutely love it. I want to go back to uni next year to do my pgce so I can qualify as a primary school teacher. However I’m a bit embarrassed about how long it took to finish my undergraduate degree and think it may cause issues when interviewing for potential pgce courses. I took a total of 6 years to finish my three year degree because of breaks I took due to physical and mental health issues. Do you think this could be a problem? I’m assuming even if i don’t tell interviewers about it, it will come up when they need proof of my education etc. Any advice
Reply 1
Original post by sinnybby
Hi, a graduated university a few years ago studying english. I currently work as a teaching assistant and absolutely love it. I want to go back to uni next year to do my pgce so I can qualify as a primary school teacher. However I’m a bit embarrassed about how long it took to finish my undergraduate degree and think it may cause issues when interviewing for potential pgce courses. I took a total of 6 years to finish my three year degree because of breaks I took due to physical and mental health issues. Do you think this could be a problem? I’m assuming even if i don’t tell interviewers about it, it will come up when they need proof of my education etc. Any advice

I would think your experience as a TA will counter that - how long have you had that job?

Hello @sinnybby

The mandatory requirement for access to a teacher training course, is that you HAVE a degree, irrespective of how long it took to achieve. (You also need GCSE - Eng/Maths/Sci for Primary) Even better, it's a degree in a core subject, and so a great match for Primary teaching. (Although you could consider Secondary Eng too - for which there is a bursary)

Own your own success! You demonstrate resilience over the period it took for you to get the degree. Many would never have graduated!

I would recommend that you get an adviser to help with the application, as we can help to shorten the time it takes to apply, as we know where the banana skins lie, and can help you avoid slipping on them!

All the best in your application! :smile:

Jane

Hi @sinnybby,

Thank you for reaching out. It is quite common for people to take a bit longer to complete their degree than they originally planned. As long as you have a valid reason, it should not be a problem. In my personal opinion, it is better to take time and look after your physical and mental health than push on and make the problem worse.

If you are planning on applying for a PGCE imminently, I would highly recommend signing up for a Get into Teaching adviser. Applications are now open so places are starting to fill. We are all ex teachers who will help you every step of the way, from writing your personal statement and interviews, through to accepting a place on a course. Plus the service is free!

Good luck!

Tracy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending