The Student Room Group

PGCE bursary

I'm due to start a PGCE maths course in sept but am confused by the Gov.uk site regardng bursaries which seem to contradict itself. Will I still get one despite having done an undergraduate degree and an Msc. I don't require student funding as I can pay the course fees from the bursary.
Original post by spontycat
I'm due to start a PGCE maths course in sept but am confused by the Gov.uk site regardng bursaries which seem to contradict itself. Will I still get one despite having done an undergraduate degree and an Msc. I don't require student funding as I can pay the course fees from the bursary.

The bursary is independent of Student Finance funding, so yes, you will still get it.

If you have already taken out Student Finance loans for your undergrad and masters, it would probably be sensible to take out further loans for your PGCE year too, since you’re unlikely to ever pay back your total debt anyway and the bursary can be put to better use. You can get loans for teacher training regardless of how many years of study you have already completed.

If you intend to use your bursary for course fees, make sure you’ve discussed this with your training provider. As I recall, the first payment doesn’t come until October and then it’s a monthly payment, so you’ll need to make sure that’s acceptable for the university.
I would honestly take out as much student loan as possible. You'll unlikely be able to pay it all back anyway and your monthly payments aren't impacted by the amount you owe, just how much you earn. It then means you get that bursary to spend on essentially anything you want.
Reply 3
Original post by Uni_student3132
I would honestly take out as much student loan as possible. You'll unlikely be able to pay it all back anyway and your monthly payments aren't impacted by the amount you owe, just how much you earn. It then means you get that bursary to spend on essentially anything you want.

It's probably too late now isn't it? Due to start in 2 weeks.
(edited 8 months ago)
It's probably too late now isn't it? Due to start in 2 weeks.

Fairly sure you can apply well into the academic year (at least for normal undergrad degrees), you just get the money late.
Reply 5
Fairly sure you can apply well into the academic year (at least for normal undergrad degrees), you just get the money late.

Yes, just done it thanks, just hope the uni are ok having their fees paid late.
Yes, just done it thanks, just hope the uni are ok having their fees paid late.

I'd contact them to make sure. Don't want them thinking you aren't paying if student finance are late.
Reply 7
I'd contact them to make sure. Don't want them thinking you aren't paying if student finance are late.

Will do tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending