The Student Room Group

US College Shooting - 10 Reported Dead

News just in the police have been called to Umpqua Community College responding to a shooting where 10 have been reported dead and many more injured.

The shooter is still active.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/officers-respond-report-shooting-umpqua-community-college-n437051

http://koin.com/2015/10/01/active-shooter-reported-at-umpqua-community-college/?cid=twitter_KOINNews

Edit: 13 Confirmed Dead and 20 Injured. Shooter was shot and killed by officers.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

This is why I love living in the UK

Now President Obama is gonna have to make another speech on gun control which is gonna be ignored :/
Reply 2
This is so tragic, but honestly I am so used to it. I expect nothing less from braindead United States of **** up who still insist their gun laws only "protect" people.
I wonder if any US congressmen or senators who oppose gun controls ever come and visit the UK or the EU. Perhaps we should refuse travel visas to them to show our disgust at their willingness to act.
Reply 4
Original post by Inexorably
This is so tragic, but honestly I am so used to it. I expect nothing less from braindead United States of **** up who still insist their gun laws only "protect" people.

Well this college was a "Gun Free Zone". Even water pistols are forbidden.

I don't think their policy worked.
mental illness is the problem

not guns

if it's a Muslim , then,

it's a minority of Muslims

Christian extremists exist too

Tolerant religion of peace
Reply 6

Their gun laws do protect people. It is in the constitution; the right to bear arms, to protect the people against the tyranny of the military and the government. At least that is how many American's interpret it, and I believe that they are right. I don't like guns myself but I can see that they value the constitution.

Guns are only a problem in the wrong hands. I am told that those who uphold the constitution only use their guns in self-defence, and do not go out and shoot people. The people who are killing and shooting are, as far as I know, those who have no respect for the constitution and are high on drugs or something like that.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Starvation13
This is why I love living in the UK

Now President Obama is gonna have to make another speech on gun control which is gonna be ignored :/

This is the 13th one he's announced in his term as president
These mass shootings aren't going to just stop any time soon, I believe that in the future the frequency of things like this will only increase. America needs to sort out its gun laws, right now. Humans don't have the right to take the life of their fellow humans, they only have a right to defend themselves when their lives are in danger - we don't need guns.
Reply 9
Original post by Martyn*
Their gun laws do protect people. It is in the constitution; the right to bear arms, to protect the people against the tyranny of the military and the government. At least that is how many American's interpret it, and I believe that they are right. I don't like guns myself but I can see that they value the constitution.

Yes I'm sure there's absolutely no downside to having them here, as they are clearly only ever used for protection and not to endanger anyone. :curious:

Their constitution is easily amended, sticking to something because it is a "part of tradition" is the worst defence imaginable.
Yes I'm sure there's absolutely no downside to having them here, as they are clearly only ever used for protection and not to endanger anyone. :curious:

Their constitution is easily amended, sticking to something because it is a "part of tradition" is the worst defence imaginable.

It's not the guns. It people.

But yes, gun laws need to tighter. Americans should still have the right to possess guns but imo they should be careful who they're giving licenses to.
This happened in a gun free zone where even water pistols are banned. So much for effective gun control.

Not really. It takes an overwhelming amount of congressional support to amend the constitution. It would be political suicide for even Democrats to suggest repealing the second amendment.
Reply 13
Well it will never happen over here.....

There's a downside to everything in life and guns is no exception. But like life, it depends upon who is weilding it, and under what conditions life flourishes. The right to bear arms is not a mere tradition; not a formality or a contrivance. It allows American citizens to defend themselves against tyranny first and foremost. This is why those who passionately believe in the ammendement also passionately believe in liberty and freedom, and that, according to the Constitution, "shall not be infringed".
Original post by Fango_Jett
Not really. It takes an overwhelming amount of congressional support to amend the constitution. It would be political suicide for even Democrats to suggest repealing the second amendment.

Sorry poor wording, I meant it is possible to amend the constitution as has been done before :tongue:
--
Reply 16
Original post by Martyn*

Guns are only a problem in the wrong hands. I am told that those who uphold the constitution only use their guns in self-defence, and do not go out and shoot people. The people who are killing and shooting are, as far as I know, those who have no respect for the constitution and are high on drugs or something like that.

The constitution was written for a vastly different time. The American obsession with it merely shows the stupidity of trying to govern from the morals of hundreds of years ago. Being able to buy an assault rifle is going to do nothing against a military dictatorship. If you want to prevent that then you should be putting faith in the checks and balances of proper government and democratic rule, not the local militia.

Many gun owners don't wish any harm, but those same laws that allow them to responsible buy arms also allow the sale of weapons to those who wish to do harm. No doubt we'll find out the guns in this case came from a legal sale or a friend of the killer who legally bought them. The Americans need to do far more to ensure weapons are not being sold to those who wish to do harm, it is obvious to any one that the current system is not working, more guns are not the answer.
Sorry poor wording, I meant it is possible to amend the constitution as has been done before :tongue:
--

Only for extremely rare situations like for repealing prohibition and limiting presidential terms, which had massive support across the aisle. For a contentious issue like gun control, it's almost never going to happen without a SCOTUS ruling (which has already gone ahead and reaffirmed the right of citizens to privately own arms)

The sad part is that the majority of Americans and even NRA members want more gun control and background checks. It's just the NRA leadership, and the loons they keep supporting for representation who oppose it.
How many school massacres does it take to seriously consider more gun control?

It's not like its a particularly freedom loving nation, this is a country that banned Kinder Eggs and unpasteurised cheeses over safety concerns.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending