The Student Room Group

Of Mice and Men, extract question Jan 2024 exam

What happens between pages 106 and 121 in the book? What key events take place?
Hi, well lennie has just killed Curley’s wife and Lennie has gone back to the river where george told him to meet him if anything bad was going to happen I.e something like this- in the mean time Geroge has had to tell the other people what has happened (I think) and then goes hunting for lennie before the other ranch men get to him and kill him. At this point in the novella Candy know that the American dream is dead because Curley’s wife is dead and Lennie is about to die they were the only two people keeping the dream alive- at then end of the novel coming up to pg 120,121 George finds Lennie, Lennie tells him I didn’t mean to do it it wasn’t my fault, Geroge has a gun on him and shoots him while talking to him about the American dream and the farm they are/ were going to have together. Geroge did this to protect him from the other ranch members like Curley. Slim approaches George and says let’s go for a drink as slim realises what he has done and feels bad about the situation.
I hope that makes sense.
Summary
Lennie kills Curley wife
Lennie goes to the river
candy tells ranch men
They go get there guns and horses to go and kill lennie
George get to Lennie before all the ranch men
Talks about the dream
Shoots him
The American dream has died
Reply 2
Original post by Elifeissosweet
Hi, well lennie has just killed Curley’s wife and Lennie has gone back to the river where george told him to meet him if anything bad was going to happen I.e something like this- in the mean time Geroge has had to tell the other people what has happened (I think) and then goes hunting for lennie before the other ranch men get to him and kill him. At this point in the novella Candy know that the American dream is dead because Curley’s wife is dead and Lennie is about to die they were the only two people keeping the dream alive- at then end of the novel coming up to pg 120,121 George finds Lennie, Lennie tells him I didn’t mean to do it it wasn’t my fault, Geroge has a gun on him and shoots him while talking to him about the American dream and the farm they are/ were going to have together. Geroge did this to protect him from the other ranch members like Curley. Slim approaches George and says let’s go for a drink as slim realises what he has done and feels bad about the situation.
I hope that makes sense.
Summary
Lennie kills Curley wife
Lennie goes to the river
candy tells ranch men
They go get there guns and horses to go and kill lennie
George get to Lennie before all the ranch men
Talks about the dream
Shoots him
The American dream has died

Thank you, this is really helpful!

Quick Reply