The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh vs KCL for English

I have a massive dilemma because I have offers from Edinburgh and Kings for English Literature/English but have no clue where to go.

Supposedly Edinburgh ranks higher on league tables but I'm not sure if it's more prestigious or internationally recognised. I also don't know if the city is that fun.

But Kings ranks lower but might be more fun, but it's more expensive because obviously it's London.
Also my boyfriend's studying in London so going to Edinburgh would mean going long distance.
The league tables aren't that important, and I think Edinburgh and KCL are quite close in ranking anyway. Have you compared the course modules and structure? I don't think Edinburgh is more internationally recognized than KCL - I believe the opposite is true, actually.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
If you want to stay with your boyfriend, choose KCL, but if you aren't sure where that relationship might go, then pick the school you want. London to Edinburgh long distance is tough if you can easily choose to be in London.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I have a massive dilemma because I have offers from Edinburgh and Kings for English Literature/English but have no clue where to go.
Supposedly Edinburgh ranks higher on league tables but I'm not sure if it's more prestigious or internationally recognised. I also don't know if the city is that fun.
But Kings ranks lower but might be more fun, but it's more expensive because obviously it's London.
Also my boyfriend's studying in London so going to Edinburgh would mean going long distance.
Edinburgh is more prestigious than King's.
Edinburgh is ranked higher than KCL globally and nationally;
Edinburgh has the oldest English Literature Department in the world (older than Oxbridge);
Edinburgh is the world first UNESCO City of Literature
Edinburgh also has the third-largest endowment in the UK (behind only Cambridge and Oxford)

QS World University Rankings by Subject 2023: English Language and Literature
The University of Edinburgh: #9 (#3 in the UK)
King's College London: #15 (#5 in the UK)

QS World University Rankings by Subject 2023: Arts and Humanities
The University of Edinburgh: #10 (#3 in the UK)
King's College London: #18 (#5 in the UK)

Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2024 by subject: arts and humanities
The University of Edinburgh: #12 (#4 in the UK)
King's College London: #20 (#5 in the UK)

U.S. News & World Report 2022-2023 Best Global Universities for Arts and Humanities
The University of Edinburgh: #6 (#4 in the UK)
King's College London: #22 (#5 in the UK)
Original post by penguingirl18
The league tables aren't that important, and I think Edinburgh and KCL are quite close in ranking anyway. Have you compared the course modules and structure? I don't think Edinburgh is more internationally recognized than KCL - I believe the opposite is true, actually.
Edinburgh is more prestigious than King's.
Edinburgh is ranked higher than KCL globally and nationally;
Edinburgh has the oldest English Literature Department in the world (older than Oxbridge);
Edinburgh is the world first UNESCO City of Literature
Edinburgh also has the third-largest endowment in the UK (behind only Cambridge and Oxford)

QS World University Rankings by Subject 2023: English Language and Literature
The University of Edinburgh: #9 (#3 in the UK)
King's College London: #15 (#5 in the UK)

QS World University Rankings by Subject 2023: Arts and Humanities
The University of Edinburgh: #10 (#3 in the UK)
King's College London: #18 (#5 in the UK)

Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2024 by subject: arts and humanities
The University of Edinburgh: #12 (#4 in the UK)
King's College London: #20 (#5 in the UK)

U.S. News & World Report 2022-2023 Best Global Universities for Arts and Humanities
The University of Edinburgh: #6 (#4 in the UK)
King's College London: #22 (#5 in the UK)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending