The Student Room Group

NMR Spectroscopy

So I understand the carbon environments for C13
And for proton nmr I understand the splitting pattern, the integration, the peaks etc and how to analyse these peaks for eg this is a quartet therefore it will have 3 hydrogens on the neighbouring molecules but I can not determine the structure of the molecule correctly in exam questions any advice for this?
I do OCR A a2 chemistry btw
Thank you
Original post by spiritless98
So I understand the carbon environments for C13
And for proton nmr I understand the splitting pattern, the integration, the peaks etc and how to analyse these peaks for eg this is a quartet therefore it will have 3 hydrogens on the neighbouring molecules but I can not determine the structure of the molecule correctly in exam questions any advice for this?
I do OCR A a2 chemistry btw
Thank you

I think it's a case of writing down everything you can figure out about the molecule first, and every possibility of which groups are attached, then going by process of elimination. "It can't be this because of that...so it must be this...which means this must be this too...". It takes a lot of practice admittedly! I'm still working on it too (OCR A :wink: )
Reply 2
http://www.spcollege.edu/SPG/Science/Musgrave/nmr.htm
There are some important (for this website, rather than for doing NMR) bits of information on the front page, so read it before you start the exercises, i.e. there is information below number 50.
Original post by Laurasaur
I think it's a case of writing down everything you can figure out about the molecule first, and every possibility of which groups are attached, then going by process of elimination. "It can't be this because of that...so it must be this...which means this must be this too...". It takes a lot of practice admittedly! I'm still working on it too (OCR A :wink: )

Thank you!!
Yeah it does take a lot of practice
I just studied it yesterday and starter the practice Qs today - hopefully with practice it gets better

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pigster
http://www.spcollege.edu/SPG/Science/Musgrave/nmr.htm
There are some important (for this website, rather than for doing NMR) bits of information on the front page, so read it before you start the exercises, i.e. there is information below number 50.

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest