The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, I've booked the test on the 27th of September and I've also bought Medify on the 27th of August, so 1 month Subscription. I've been using it 3/4 hours a day since, because I know I won't have as much time when school starts and I guess it's helping me.
Still, I really think I won't be able to finish all the questions in the mocks or in the actual exam, so I wanted to know, did you finish ALL the questions
in QR, AR and VR or did you left out any??
I have my UKCAT in just under 4 weeks and im planning to use the 1000q book and medify to prepare. This has probably been asked before, but how long should I spend learning from the book and how long do I need to practice?
Should you genuinely answer the Decision Making questions on the UKCAT or just wing it?
Should you genuinely answer the Decision Making questions on the UKCAT or just wing it?
Reply 3704
Hey guys

I did the ukcat last yr. For people who's done the ukcat last year and this year, do you think that QR is easier compared to last yr or about the same level.
Original post by Boo_Ayres13
Im taking my UKCAT on monday and I was wondering A) does anyone have any advice for AR? I cant do it for the life of me and it drags my scores down ridiculously and B) do you bother for the decision analysis, I mean it doesnt count for anything so can I/ have you /do you skip(ed) it?

thansk

My UKCAT is on Monday too! :biggrin: With AR, it's just loads of practice. The patterns are normally similar so after a while you get quick at recognising the obvious ones eg. Odd vs even sides, number of right angles, up and down arrows etc. And if there is a super hard one you don't get guess and flag and come back to it as I bet there will be easier ones later on which you can get done to garuntee marks :smile: and with DM you don't have to do it but I feel guilty as UKCAT wanna use the data so
Has anyone done the real UKCAT
Has anyone done the real UKCAT and used medify?If so did the actual question appear at bottom of screen or at the side? I think the fact that i cant look at the information and the questions in medify (particularly QR) is slowing me down and was wondering if the real test is this format also?
Hey guys,

I just booked my UKCAT for the end of September. Anyone suggest any materials that are worth purchasing? ( I've found out that the exam has changed this year or something?. I've heard medify is pretty good but I'm not sure what else is out there
Hi not sure if this has already been asked or not but what would you say is an average score this year?

This year will be the 2nd time taking the UKCAT but since its out of 2700 (not 3600 like last year) I was wondering what would be considered a 'good score'...
Original post by Little_bird
Hi not sure if this has already been asked or not but what would you say is an average score this year?

This year will be the 2nd time taking the UKCAT but since its out of 2700 (not 3600 like last year) I was wondering what would be considered a 'good score'...

Nobody knows for sure but Liverpool said their competitive score was something like 1780-1850 or something that's from the top of my head and Sheffield want 1850. So those will count as good scores most likely but this isn't including super ukcat heavy uni's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Btw I should add Liverpool isn't definite whereas Sheffield is as Liverpool are just assuming at this point until the real averages come out^ Also you know how on medify the calculator disappears every question is that the same for the real test? Because it drives me mad

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaela__
Btw I should add Liverpool isn't definite whereas Sheffield is as Liverpool are just assuming at this point until the real averages come out^ Also you know how on medify the calculator disappears every question is that the same for the real test? Because it drives me mad

Posted from TSR Mobile

In the real test the calculator stays on screen but it's much bigger so you have to move it about to red all the question and get to the data etc
Original post by Harpal10
I think the highest I've scored in the mocks is 667 avg, my highest score for any section was 750.

VR scores fluctuated in the mocks I did - I think my highest was 33/44 and in mock C I got 709, honestly in the real thing I couldn't wait for it to be over. I'd advise to just get familiar with the walls of text and keep a steady pace. The passages weren't necessarily longer but you need a lot of practice.

QR I found the first few sets to be easy but then a couple of hard sets in a row I had to guess. AR was pretty good throughout, I probably made some silly mistakes though. SJT had clear cut answers on par with medify, they weren't as 'ethically sensitive' as the ISC 1000 questions book that I practiced with.

GL!

how do you know you got 709 in mock C? how did you convert the raw score to a UKCAT score?
Original post by ib_hopeful
how do you know you got 709 in mock C? how did you convert the raw score to a UKCAT score?

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1472903688.967115.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
I suspect I'll get a 590-600 average.

Where could I apply with that score? I'm doomed...
Original post by ib_hopeful
I suspect I'll get a 590-600 average.

Where could I apply with that score? I'm doomed...

If you've worked that out from your mocks then don't worry as people get normally get a lot higher. However, if you really believe you're going to get that score (which I'm sure you won't) there's quite a few schools you can apply to (Cardiff being one) as long as you have good stats etc and there's always the BMAT so don't worry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just did my second UKCAT official mock, a little bit better than Mock A but the abstract section was awful had to guess quite a lot of the patterns and I am normally fairly good at it :frown: I got 677 average, (730 verbal, 670 Quantitative and 630 abstract). Can anyone who has done UKCAT say how each of the mocks compare? Like the abstract is not that hard right? Thanks!
Reply 3718
Hi, thanks for the reply. appreciate the help, i will try that method. just one more question, in the real exam, how many comprehension questions came up compared to T/F/CT question ?
Original post by subash
Hi, thanks for the reply. appreciate the help, i will try that method. just one more question, in the real exam, how many comprehension questions came up compared to T/F/CT question ?

usually more comprehension Qs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending