The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tinbite1
Hi! Congrats on your amazing scores! Would you say that QR was harder than the mocks on kaplan as well?

I did not have kaplan so I do not know, but easier than the free mock!
ukcat progress sheet.jpg Here are the mock scores for every mock or timed test I did! :tongue:
Hi guys,

I just did my UKCAT today and I am quite disappointed since I was getting around 700 in my mocks but only came out with 637, Band 2 today.

I also have 6A*s 4As for GCSE and I am predicted 3As minimum with the possibility of it being A*AA at A2. (I will know for sure once I start sixth form again)

I have looked at places to apply and so far I have narrowed it down to:
UEA
Bristol
Liverpool

And I'm unsure of where else to apply hence I know my GCSEs are nor strong enough for GCSE heavy universities, and it would be risky to go for UKCAT heavy universities, or even ones with a cut off of 650.

What should I do next? Is it worth applying the year after or should I do the BMAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ipanda99
Hi guys,

I just did my UKCAT today and I am quite disappointed since I was getting around 700 in my mocks but only came out with 637, Band 2 today.

I also have 6A*s 4As for GCSE and I am predicted 3As minimum with the possibility of it being A*AA at A2. (I will know for sure once I start sixth form again)

I have looked at places to apply and so far I have narrowed it down to:
UEA
Bristol
Liverpool

And I'm unsure of where else to apply hence I know my GCSEs are nor strong enough for GCSE heavy universities, and it would be risky to go for UKCAT heavy universities, or even ones with a cut off of 650.

What should I do next? Is it worth applying the year after or should I do the BMAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely do the BMAT. Imperial, UCL and BSMS have generally fairly low BMAT averages (like middle 4's out of 9 for 1 and 2) I am not sure about leeds so even if yu are not that confident it is worth applying to one, your other choices are good though :smile:
Original post by isabella1999
I did not have kaplan so I do not know, but easier than the free mock!

alright, that's making me feel better.
thank you!
Original post by Tinbite1
alright, that's making me feel better.
thank you!

It's fine! :tongue:
I got VR:580 QR:670 AR:600 SJT: Band 1. is this enough to get an interview for dentistry?
Hey!:smile:

So I took my UKCAT a few weeks ago now and I was pretty happy with how it turned out but I'm still not 100% sure on where to apply, are there any universities that are particularly UKCAT heavy?

I got:

VR: 680
QR: 850
AR: 640
SJT: Band 2
Avg: 723

Any advice would be great, thanks guys!
Definitely do the BMAT. Imperial, UCL and BSMS have generally fairly low BMAT averages (like middle 4's out of 9 for 1 and 2) I am not sure about leeds so even if yu are not that confident it is worth applying to one, your other choices are good though :smile:

Thanks for the advice, would you suggest a 2:2 BMAT to UKCAT ratio or 1:3 when applying? I'm just so confused on if I should even apply since this score has been demotivating :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bloody hell. Sat down to do the mock exam in the 1000Qs book and got:

QR 483 yikes
AR 530
VR 573
SJT Band 2 - a few nasty trick questions meant I just missed B1

Has anybody else had a similar experience ha ha - I agree we shouldn't focus on scores and instead just keep refining technique, but I didn't think I was *that* bad?!

Not really in the position to pay for other resources and have extinguished the Official UKCAT toolkit.

Does anybody know of anything free?

Thanks*
Thanks for the advice, would you suggest a 2:2 BMAT to UKCAT ratio or 1:3 when applying? I'm just so confused on if I should even apply since this score has been demotivating :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitly still apply! and it depends on how confident you are about your personal statement! If you have had it checked loads, great feedback and are proud of it, go for 3:1 and apply to bristol. If not so much, go 2:2 as Bristol is 70% personal statement :biggrin: Your score is not bad at all, its a little above average (Think it was like 620 last year) so I wouldn't recommend 2:2 or more unless you did worse than 600 tbh as it is risky
Original post by Fleuves
Bloody hell. Sat down to do the mock exam in the 1000Qs book and got:

QR 483 yikes
AR 530
VR 573
SJT Band 2 - a few nasty trick questions meant I just missed B1

Has anybody else had a similar experience ha ha - I agree we shouldn't focus on scores and instead just keep refining technique, but I didn't think I was *that* bad?!

Not really in the position to pay for other resources and have extinguished the Official UKCAT toolkit.

Does anybody know of anything free?

Thanks*

Use the free questions from UKCAT ninja??!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3912
Original post by gabby1410
Well that went horrifically but I didn't do as bad as I thought...
VR 640
QR 750
AR 680
SJT Band 1
So average 690
I'm applying to Bristol, Exeter, Leicester and Cardiff, with 8A*s 2A's , 4 A's at As , do you think I have a good chance at getting interviews?

SJT advice please!!!!!! Cannot shift from band 2 every single time. Would really love a band 1!
Definitly still apply! and it depends on how confident you are about your personal statement! If you have had it checked loads, great feedback and are proud of it, go for 3:1 and apply to bristol. If not so much, go 2:2 as Bristol is 70% personal statement :biggrin: Your score is not bad at all, its a little above average (Think it was like 620 last year) so I wouldn't recommend 2:2 or more unless you did worse than 600 tbh as it is risky

Thanks. I guess its time for me to convince the head of my sixth form to even let me apply now, which is going to be a hard task in itself. I'm working on my personal statement, and I guess I sill make that decision once I've completed my final draft.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Use the free questions from UKCAT ninja??!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was a bit dubious of that, but if it has your blessing *
Reply 3915
Hey everyone! So relieved to get my UKCAT over and done with, honestly this thread has been my saviour over the past month!! :redface: In the end I got:

(WAY harder than any mock I have done, was getting 750-800 in them all :frown:passages are quite long, and I was so terribly nervous I probably ruined my chances for this section anyway. UKCAT mock A was probably most similar to the passage lengths, or ISC 1000Q. My advice would be STAY calm!! And do the normal scanning tecnique thing)
AR: 860
(SO SO happy. In the exam, I was convinced I did badly as I thought half the patterns had a secondary condition like the ones in basically every mock, but apparently not! The patterns were not EASY per se, I actually found them quite difficult but idk magic happens. Id say the mock most similar to it is UKCAT mock C or A, it is nowhere near as hard as B)
QR: 890
(OH MY GOD THE MOCKS ARE SOOOO DECIEVING. Every single practice question I had ever done was a million times harder. I would honestly say add 100-150 on the scores you get in the mocks and that is likely to be your score. All of the questions were simple percentage increase, average, median and mode questions, and the data was very easy to interperet. This section really calmed me down from my awful VR. HAVE HOPE EVERYONE)
SJ: Band 1
(The passages were a lot longer than in mocks and me, who usually has about 18 minutes to spare, only had 6, so if you generally finish around the time be aware of this! In general pretty similar to the mocks except there were a few ambiguous questions thar I literally changed a thousand times)

Overall total= 2430, average=810! :redface: So so relieved, bring on the BMAT now (sigh). If anyone has any questions please ask!

OMG amazing score! Please give me advice for AR as I can never find patterns. How do you find them? What do you look for? Also QR which questions did you guess and go and how do you answer them so quickly? Can you use the keypad to press the +/- button or do you have to click with the mouse? And lastly SJT how do you get band 1!!!!!!!!!! Stuck on band 2 and never mover up and so far haven't moved down but I wont feel safe until I'm getting band 1. Thank you so much and well done! You should be super proud
Original post by zoemccarthy34
OMG amazing score! Please give me advice for AR as I can never find patterns. How do you find them? What do you look for? Also QR which questions did you guess and go and how do you answer them so quickly? Can you use the keypad to press the +/- button or do you have to click with the mouse? And lastly SJT how do you get band 1!!!!!!!!!! Stuck on band 2 and never mover up and so far haven't moved down but I wont feel safe until I'm getting band 1. Thank you so much and well done! You should be super proud

For SJT I'd recommend making rules out of the ones you get wrong, because a lot of the time there's recurring themes in different scenarios (e.g. calling in sick when you're not is always D), and just practising them enough that you learn them off by heart. From the mocks i've found if you get around 60% right, 30% partial, 10% wrong its a band 1 (could be wrong) and obviously any improvement from that is good
Original post by zoemccarthy34
SJT advice please!!!!!! Cannot shift from band 2 every single time. Would really love a band 1!

What resources are you using? I've used medify and the official site, and I've written down common situations regarding patient safety, confidentially, cheating etc....after I sit the mocks. I always got band 2 but got band 1 in the real thing! Remember that cheating is always regarded as very inappropriate not matter if it will affect the person's career...also if you go to a senior consultant about a colleague then this is inappropriate but not awful as they always prefer you to resolve situations one to one in private. I don't know what else to suggest really ! But always go over the ones you get incorrect in mocks or practice Qs because similar ideas are always carried through. Good luck :smile:
Hey everyone! So relieved to get my UKCAT over and done with, honestly this thread has been my saviour over the past month!! :redface: In the end I got:

(WAY harder than any mock I have done, was getting 750-800 in them all :frown:passages are quite long, and I was so terribly nervous I probably ruined my chances for this section anyway. UKCAT mock A was probably most similar to the passage lengths, or ISC 1000Q. My advice would be STAY calm!! And do the normal scanning tecnique thing)
AR: 860
(SO SO happy. In the exam, I was convinced I did badly as I thought half the patterns had a secondary condition like the ones in basically every mock, but apparently not! The patterns were not EASY per se, I actually found them quite difficult but idk magic happens. Id say the mock most similar to it is UKCAT mock C or A, it is nowhere near as hard as B)
QR: 890
(OH MY GOD THE MOCKS ARE SOOOO DECIEVING. Every single practice question I had ever done was a million times harder. I would honestly say add 100-150 on the scores you get in the mocks and that is likely to be your score. All of the questions were simple percentage increase, average, median and mode questions, and the data was very easy to interperet. This section really calmed me down from my awful VR. HAVE HOPE EVERYONE)
SJ: Band 1
(The passages were a lot longer than in mocks and me, who usually has about 18 minutes to spare, only had 6, so if you generally finish around the time be aware of this! In general pretty similar to the mocks except there were a few ambiguous questions thar I literally changed a thousand times)

Overall total= 2430, average=810! :redface: So so relieved, bring on the BMAT now (sigh). If anyone has any questions please ask!

Oh my gosh you are literally my role model! This is amazing!!!! What resources did you use and what scores were you getting in them? I have mine next week but I'm so scared. Would you also say it was easier or harder than the websites and books you used?
*TIP*
stay as calm as you can before the test, I know it's obvious but it's vital as VR is first and it is dependant on how well you take in what you're reading and I was panicking so it meant that I wasn't actually taking in what I was reading! So yeah chill out before and I'm sure you'll ace it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending