The Student Room Group

GCSEs & Medicine

Okay so are my GCSE's good enough for medicine at uni?!

Eng lit A
Eng lang B
Maths A
Core Science A
Additional Science A
Further Additional Science A
Spanish A
ICT A
History A*
Art B

Currently I am an AS Student, and taking Biology/Chemistry/Maths/Extended Project (on cardiovascular diseases). I am hoping to get all A grades at AS, and my university prospects are:

Brighton and Sussex medical school

Kings College school of medicine

Barts and the London (queens mary) school of medicine

St Georges University London medical school

Are my GCSEs okay for the unis I want, providing I get A's at AS/A2? Also my extended project is equivalent to half an AS but does it count for most med school (especially those listed above)?

Thankyou
Original post by Rhema

Eng lit A
Eng lang B
Maths A
Core Science A
Additional Science A
Spanish A
ICT A
History A*
Art B

Currently I am an AS Student, and taking Biology/Chemistry/Maths/Extended Project (on cardiovascular diseases). I am hoping to get all A grades at AS, and my university prospects are:

Are my GCSEs okay for the unis I want, providing I get A's at AS/A2? Also my extended project is equivalent to half an AS but does it count for most med school (especially those listed above)?

Thankyou

Yes those GCSEs are good enough for plenty of medical schools. However its too soon to narrow your options down so much, it will depend hugely on what you get in the UKCAT
Reply 2
Original post by Rhema

Eng lit A
Eng lang B
Maths A
Core Science A
Additional Science A
Spanish A
ICT A
History A*
Art B

Thankyou

Your GCSEs seem OK, you'll need to investigate the exact requirements as these can differ from uni to uni. Be sure to check out this useful link:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15897-medical-school-gcse-requirements

As you can see, you'll be ok for BSMS, Kings, Barts. St Georges will depend on your pre-interview score - they score GCSEs. Be wary of unis such as Birmingham, Oxford as they require high A* percentage. Also, you may want to bear in mind that applicants for Kings generally have a few A*s since they admissions team use this to score before interview in combination with your UKCAT score. However, if your UKCAT is very strong, your GCSEs will matter less. Hope that useful! As ForestCat has mentioned, UKCAT is a significant factor that could sway your options!
(edited 8 years ago)
Are you only doing 3 AS levels? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Rhema

Eng lit A
Eng lang B
Maths A
Core Science A
Additional Science A
Spanish A
ICT A
History A*
Art B

Thankyou

An EPQ won't be made part an offer but "the skills are valuable" (and apparently may be a favourite topic for interview questions at some unis) for all the places I've applied to.

St George's use a point scoring system for GCSE - go to their website and check - as long as you meet the minimum point score and get 500 and above in all sections AND a total score of above a threshold (2600 this year) in UKCAT you are guaranteed an interview (I'm applying this year.) Again, this is medicine - you have to apply tactically to the places you are most likely to get an offer based on your GCSEs, AS levels, Predicted grades, UKCAT/BMAT and work experience/PS, so be open to any med school right up until you apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Barts is going to be a bad choice if you're only doing three as levels. They look at UCAS tariff and UKCAT score.
to be honest they don't pay as much attention to your GCSEs as they would to say, your UKCAT/BMAT, AS grades/A2 predictions, your personal statement etc

to answer your question though, they're very good results and you will be absolutely fine
don't try to narrow down on which med schools you want to apply to though, many vary a lot in how they select their applicants so don't worry about these just yet
Reply 7
Thanks everyone for replying. As I'm technically only doing 3 AS's + EPQ does anyone think it's a good idea for me to stay in college an extra year and do a fourth AS before applying/do the 4th AS in Year 13, whilst doing my A2's?!

Thanks for all the advice, you guys are right I need to keep my options open, but thanks for boosting my confidence in medicine, as I thought I would never get in with my GCSEs.
Original post by Rhema
Thanks everyone for replying. As I'm technically only doing 3 AS's + EPQ does anyone think it's a good idea for me to stay in college an extra year and do a fourth AS before applying/do the 4th AS in Year 13, whilst doing my A2's?!

Thanks for all the advice, you guys are right I need to keep my options open, but thanks for boosting my confidence in medicine, as I thought I would never get in with my GCSEs.

Don't do it in a third year, it will disqualify you from a lot of places. I'm not sure how the change in a levels is going to pan out in regards to medicine offers and grade requirements so it will be a case of waiting for universities to announce their requirements for 2017 entry. Keep checking their websites to see what they say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending