The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Richmond park or Sheavyn House?

Hi there
just going through the accomodation brochure and deciding which accomodations to put down. i missed the accomodation open day since i only received the accomodation stuff y day. Ive looked around and i think fallowfield is where i'd like to stay for my 1st year. Ive narrowed it down to richmond park and sheavyn house? what ones better in your opinions and which would be nicer to live in etc.
Also, how far is fallowfield from the campuses (off oxford road), and how far to the city town from fallowfield?

any views would be much appreciated. thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

You need three choices. they recommend you put one high demand and two not high demand, but I just put three high demand. If I dont get them, I dont get them and they stick me somewhere else, big deal.
I thought they were both as nice as eachother, but bear in mind that Sheavyn is part of Ashburne.
Fallowfield is quite a distance from the city centre and the main campus, people say it can be really noisy, but a good place to live.
If the distance is putting you off, dont let it. Id say its a good 30 min walk from fallowfield to the main campus, but there are buses running down oxford road day and night, so that isnt a problem.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
is that a disadvantage that its located next to ashburne hall? :s-smilie:

tbh they both look nice,,,only differences i can see from booklet is that sheavyn house has a music room, a telephone link in each room, sporting facilites and its non smoking. any views on this?

What do people think of Oak house (also in fallowfield)? its the cheapest one at £64 a week but it does lack the ensuite, however is there any other bad points about this place....are the room sizes decent? sociable? etc

thanks
Reply 3
i live in sheavyn house and so to be honest there realli isnt much difference between sheavyn and richmond, apart from richmond is bigger in terms of number of people and in sheavyn theres beautiful gardens. its a 30 second walk from one to the other!!!!Rooms are both same size, although id say sheavyn was an inkling bigger. my best mate lives in richmond, so we're always at eachothers and realli both of the places feel like the same place. also sheavyn gets cleaners monday- friday whereas richmond has them once a week, and trust me 5 times a week is an absolute necessity even though everyone may be personally hygenice and stuff! lol. But realli stay in fallofield and u will have made the best decsion, i luv beiung here for my first year and im a medic, so i party way too much, so fallowfield is purrrffect for me!!!!! lol. it takes 20 mins to walk to uni everyday, and there ois always a buss there minute of the day so u never have to wait for one, apart from at night where they cum every 5 mins. its 4 quid 4 a buss pass for a WHOLE week, so money shudnt be an issue!!!
Reply 4
oh yeh and it takes bt 20 mins on the bus to get from fallofield to the city center, which i realise sounds like a lot, but realli isnt! TRUST ME!
Reply 5
hi spatel16
thanks for that info i applied online and put 1st as richmond,,,2nd as sheavyn and 3rd as oak house. wouldnt mind either 1st or 2nd since you mentioned there both really nice.
Does richmond park and sheavyn have internet access in the rooms?
jakeharris11
Does richmond park and sheavyn have internet access in the rooms?

I think so :s-smilie:
Reply 8
I've put Richmond as my first choice and Sheavyn as my second, because I think from reading the threads that they are both similar but
Reply 9
Richmond seems to be more sociable and lively...
mei_mei
Richmond seems to be more sociable and lively...

I've put richmond as first and sheavyn as second too :smile:
Reply 11
Yellowmarshmellow
I've put richmond as first and sheavyn as second too :smile:

Cool, what course you doing? I'm doing bio-med...

C u in September!
mei_mei
Cool, what course you doing? I'm doing bio-med...

C u in September!

Classics but hopefully switching to english lol, what did you put as your third choice?
Reply 13
hi there,
i put richmond n sheavyn as 1st n 2nd aswel :smile:....3rd was oak house...
Reply 14
I put Richmond 1st and Sheavyn 3rd...
Reply 15
Wahey some similar choices as mine, I have Sheavyn, Burkhardt then Richmond!!
Sheavyn, Richmond and Pankhurst :biggrin:
Reply 17
What's so special about these two?
Sheavyn House is my 2nd choice (after a slight change of accomm. application details), it looks ace :biggrin:
Reply 19
I live in Richmond Park and I'm really happy with it. The rooms are of decent size, lovely on suite bathrooms, and nice big kitchen areas. I find Richmond a really good medium coz its far enough away from owens park to not get all the noise, but near enough to it to get the good, lively atmosphere. The only downside for me about Richmond Park is that it isn't as socialable as say Owen Park because of the flat situation. You tend to get really close to your own flat but not really many others. Owens park just has corridors of rooms so you get to know more people.
Saying that, I've met some lovely people in Richmond who I'm moving into a house with next year. And believe me, the on suite's are SUCH a blessing

Latest

Trending

Trending