The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Postgraduate Offer Holders 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jonnn
A day after submitting my app, he asked for my CV and writing sample, and then five days after that he asked for my CV and personal statement (had already submitted my ps :confused:). And then all I had to do was wait for my referees to send their references.

I don't have an academic CV, just a professional one. How about you? I got a request through yesterday for mine, and I just don't think I can send my CV as it is now.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
No longer feel like an imposter on this thread - got an offer this lunch time! :smile:
Reply 142
Original post by Stony Steve
I don't have an academic CV, just a professional one. How about you? I got a request through yesterday for mine, and I just don't think I can send my CV as it is now.

I took the academic CV format and altered it. I'll PM my CV format to you. I wouldn't worry too much about the CV anyway because the writing sample and recommendations are most important.

Original post by MoreTeaVicar?
No longer feel like an imposter on this thread - got an offer this lunch time! :smile:

Congratz! :groovy:
Original post by AzueroG
Well, I did my research. They do let you take quite a lot of luggage with you on trains but you must buy the ticket in advance (like months) and the trip takes 3 to 4 hours. They don't warranty the safety of the bags you carry with you and some tickets are super expensive. Now imagine your plain gets delayed and you miss the train. And moving from the airport from the train station. Looking at prices I chose to fly to New Castle which has an international airport and have the Uni guys to pick me up there (they do it if you arrive between sept 30 and Oct 3). You can find flights with many stops or just 2 at different prices, some very long, some not so much.

I am planning to fly to Newcastle too. Just checked with the school's web and their welcome service starts from the 28th Sept. Are you booking your flight yet?
Original post by AzueroG
Well, I did my research. They do let you take quite a lot of luggage with you on trains but you must buy the ticket in advance (like months) and the trip takes 3 to 4 hours. They don't warranty the safety of the bags you carry with you and some tickets are super expensive. Now imagine your plain gets delayed and you miss the train. And moving from the airport from the train station. Looking at prices I chose to fly to New Castle which has an international airport and have the Uni guys to pick me up there (they do it if you arrive between sept 30 and Oct 3). You can find flights with many stops or just 2 at different prices, some very long, some not so much.

I bought the train ticket on the spot with 2 big luggages when I first came to the UK to study and didn't have a problem. I have seen anyone checking the luggage size in particular so far. I guess unless you're going bring a really big one or else it should be fine. It's generally safe to leave your luggage there, just don't put expensive items inside. Of course if you have flight to Newcastle then it would be much easier to just head there instead!
Original post by Shirley_Wholock
Art teachers are cool! I thought they also earn a lot, well at least back here they fall on the well-to-do side of jobs. I worked as TA for 5 months and yep...teasing students were really fun.

I totally agree with you on the convenience of rice cooker meals~ I mean, cooking is fun, but doing dishes? meh...
I actually just tried my hands on lots of stirring and other stuff, preparing food for 11 people(today is the Tomb-sweeping Day in China and the big family gather together to mourn the death) and the review was not bad! Confidence enhancement haha.
Just asking, I think flying to Newcastle would be the best choice, right? Not ideal for the flight price but you can't just drag your luggage all the way from London I think?

Sorry the super late reply! Was caught up with school's exam...we just have the same basic pay like most, but you can consider it sort of a stable job. We went tomb sweeping too. Had to wake up at 4am zzzzzzz. Great to hear that you made good food! Our family simplified our offerings so mostly it's just fresh fruits, buns and dumplings. But sometimes they brought the durian, the king of fruits too...Anyway I am planning to fly to Newcastle myself. I don't think I am up to another long train journey after a whole day of flight. Plus Durham offer welcome service to arrivals from 28-30th of Sept, so you can book with them from the international office website.
(edited 8 years ago)

Congratulations! See you in Durham!
Reply 147
Original post by jhssapphire
I am planning to fly to Newcastle too. Just checked with the school's web and their welcome service starts from the 28th Sept. Are you booking your flight yet?

Yes! I had the dates wrong. Fortunately I checked them before buying anything. Since I'm Colombian I need a visa and can only start applying to it on early july and they don't recommend buying anything before getting the visa and for some reason you can't book anything anymore. You need to buy it. I guess it's gonna be more expensive than I thought.
Reply 148
Original post by kellee23
I bought the train ticket on the spot with 2 big luggages when I first came to the UK to study and didn't have a problem. I have seen anyone checking the luggage size in particular so far. I guess unless you're going bring a really big one or else it should be fine. It's generally safe to leave your luggage there, just don't put expensive items inside. Of course if you have flight to Newcastle then it would be much easier to just head there instead!

Yep, best choice, no doubt
Original post by jonnn
I took the academic CV format and altered it. I'll PM my CV format to you. I wouldn't worry too much about the CV anyway because the writing sample and recommendations are most important.

Congratz! :groovy:

Original post by jhssapphire
Congratulations! See you in Durham!

Thanks :smile: just deciding on a college now! Which ones did you go for?
Anyone applying for the 2016 MSc Finance?
Reply 151
Original post by LolaAsh27
Anyone applying for the 2016 MSc Finance?

Hi :smile: This thread is full of people who have already received an offer!
MSc marketing here by the way :smile: nice to meet you
Original post by Sim0ne
Hi :smile: This thread is full of people who have already received an offer!
MSc marketing here by the way :smile: nice to meet you

Hahaha, I'm aware that I'm an imposter! Tired of checking my e-mail a gazillion times a day so thought I'd come here an pretend to be an offer holder! (Soon, Hopefully :biggrin:)

How long did they take to get back to you
Original post by Black_Materia_
Just received my membership confirmation from St Mary's, anyone else applied for the same college?

Hi, I applied to st Mary's too. :smile: how long did it take to hear back from them after you applied?
Got membership at St Chad's after applying on Sunday. Very speedy! :smile: anyone else got membership there too?
Reply 155
Got membership at St Chad's after applying on Sunday. Very speedy! :smile: anyone else got membership there too?

I have! 😊 Living out though. Think there are quite a few people on this thread who seem to have got membership there!
Reply 156

Congrats! :smile:
Original post by RJD7
I have! 😊 Living out though. Think there are quite a few people on this thread who seem to have got membership there!

:smile: I'm living out too. Have you already sorted accommodation or are you looking for a house share? I saw on the email from Chad's that they can put you in touch with other people there also looking for a house share, which I thought was a nice idea.
Reply 158
:smile: I'm living out too. Have you already sorted accommodation or are you looking for a house share? I saw on the email from Chad's that they can put you in touch with other people there also looking for a house share, which I thought was a nice idea.

Yeah, I saw the email! I think it is a good idea; half wish that I'd held out and done something like that. I have got a place, found a house share back in November and it was perfect so I just grabbed it straight away, luckily they said they'd keep it for me for September.
Hi, I applied to st Mary's too. :smile: how long did it take to hear back from them after you applied?

Hi, I applied about the middle of last month but you may well hear something back sooner.

Quick Reply

Latest