The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Postgraduate Offer Holders 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Black_Materia_
Hi, I applied about the middle of last month but you may well hear something back sooner.

I actually heard back from St Chad's this morning after applying this weekend - very speedy.

See you in Durham!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by AzueroG
Yes! I had the dates wrong. Fortunately I checked them before buying anything. Since I'm Colombian I need a visa and can only start applying to it on early july and they don't recommend buying anything before getting the visa and for some reason you can't book anything anymore. You need to buy it. I guess it's gonna be more expensive than I thought.

Yeah the international office doesn't recommend buying tickets yet.... A friend suggested buying a open ticket where you can decide the dates later so now I am asking around tour agents to compare their schedule and price.
Original post by MoreTeaVicar?
Thanks :smile: just deciding on a college now! Which ones did you go for?

I am in St Cuth but for self catered at Parson Field. You received St Chad right? Congratz!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 163
Original post by jhssapphire
Yeah the international office doesn't recommend buying tickets yet.... A friend suggested buying a open ticket where you can decide the dates later so now I am asking around tour agents to compare their schedule and price.

They don't do that in Colombia for some reason. I checked with a travel agency. I guess I'll save money on accommodation and food. I've learned to cook many delicious and cheap meals thanks to a great guy so I guess I'll be just fine. The Union recommended me not to look for a house just yet since without a visa I can't actually sign or agree on anything, but to wait until I had my visa and I've been talking to an Italian guy doing my same course and he started looking for a house after getting to Durham; It took him a week.
Yesterday I was accepted onto the MA Politics and International Relations course. Have yet to look at college options etc.
Hello!
I received an offer for the MA in International Studies, haven't accepted it yet tought! As an international student coming from Italy I'm still confused on what could be the best choice!

Is anyone here going to attend the same program? :smile:
Congrats everyone! I just got an offer for the MA in Modern History programme. I'm coming in from the States and I'm trying to figure out the whole college thing--does it really effect us too much since we are PG students? I figure, I'll want to go to a very formal/small college b/c that seems to be the whole point of the college experience (traditionalism) but maybe I'm missing something? Any thoughts?
Reply 167
Original post by Newkidintown
Congrats everyone! I just got an offer for the MA in Modern History programme. I'm coming in from the States and I'm trying to figure out the whole college thing--does it really effect us too much since we are PG students? I figure, I'll want to go to a very formal/small college b/c that seems to be the whole point of the college experience (traditionalism) but maybe I'm missing something? Any thoughts?

To be honest, the 'formal/small colleges' are likely pretty full by now :frown:
Reply 168
Hi, I applied to Durham uni on Friday - I know its only been twp days but does anyone know how long it will take them to reply? I applied for MA politics and international relations (political theory).

Durham is most likely my first choice, but I think I NEED to secure the finance in order to enrol. I plan to apply for the vice chancellor's and taught post grad scholarship. I live 2hrs away so dont plan to commute, other unis I intend to apply for our within commuting distance. However the deadline for these two scholarships is in like literally 10 days

I phoned Durham post grad admissions regarding finance, and they said you need to be offered a place on the course in order to apply. But after completing the application process, it now says it takes 4-6 weeks to process :frown:
Original post by ozzy12
Hi, I applied to Durham uni on Friday - I know its only been twp days but does anyone know how long it will take them to reply? I applied for MA politics and international relations (political theory).

Durham is most likely my first choice, but I think I NEED to secure the finance in order to enrol. I plan to apply for the vice chancellor's and taught post grad scholarship. I live 2hrs away so dont plan to commute, other unis I intend to apply for our within commuting distance. However the deadline for these two scholarships is in like literally 10 days

I phoned Durham post grad admissions regarding finance, and they said you need to be offered a place on the course in order to apply. But after completing the application process, it now says it takes 4-6 weeks to process :frown:

Its been 6 weeks today, since the day that my application was under consideration-and I still haven't received a decision. so, I would suggest that you start expecting a response in a month. good luck! :biggrin:
Original post by ozzy12

Hi! Good luck with your application. I received an offer exactly 4 weeks after applying.
Reply 171
Hello Everyone just got an offer for msc management (international business). Would be comming from Nigeria☺ Any suggestions on the college to choose? Would be getting a private accomodation tho.
Just accepted my offer to study MA in Medieval History!

Anyone got an idea over which of the "formal" colleges, ie the ones which wear gowns, is most likely to still be available?
Are there any folks looking to privately rent, as opposed to living in a college-owned place? I'm not sure when I should start looking. I'm guessing any time soon is good considering other postgrads will be moving out soon. Right?

Bit lost on this issue!

Original post by KatieStepek
Just accepted my offer to study MA in Medieval History!

Anyone got an idea over which of the "formal" colleges, ie the ones which wear gowns, is most likely to still be available?

Congrats on your offer!

I think they're all getting pretty full up now, but you'll be more likely to get a place at your desired college if you opt for membership only. I applied for membership at St Chad's (a smaller and more traditional college, with 'formalities' such as gowns at dinners etc) and got a place.

I honestly think you'll be happy whichever college you're at though - they all look lovely. My brother went to Collingwood and loved it, and my sister was at John Snow on Queen's Campus and enjoyed that too.
Reply 174
Original post by MoreTeaVicar?
Are there any folks looking to privately rent, as opposed to living in a college-owned place? I'm not sure when I should start looking. I'm guessing any time soon is good considering other postgrads will be moving out soon. Right?

Bit lost on this issue!

Hey!

I applied for private accommodation last November (a bit over prepared, I know!). The majority of landlords will have a good idea of when people will be moving out/if they're staying or not. I think it's well worth getting in contact with estate agents and landlords now, they'll be looking to fill the rooms in anticipation of people leaving, even if they haven't gone yet :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Sorry the super late reply! Was caught up with school's exam...we just have the same basic pay like most, but you can consider it sort of a stable job. We went tomb sweeping too. Had to wake up at 4am zzzzzzz. Great to hear that you made good food! Our family simplified our offerings so mostly it's just fresh fruits, buns and dumplings. But sometimes they brought the durian, the king of fruits too...Anyway I am planning to fly to Newcastle myself. I don't think I am up to another long train journey after a whole day of flight. Plus Durham offer welcome service to arrivals from 28-30th of Sept, so you can book with them from the international office website.

I was wondering why the thread went silent until I found out that I accidentally turned off the reminder...sorry for this super late reply! I've already booked the flight to Manchester on Sep.28 (yep this would be tiring but also could save me a handsome amount of money). Hope all is well with you. Love~
Plus, I'm a huge fan of durian!
Original post by AzueroG
They don't do that in Colombia for some reason. I checked with a travel agency. I guess I'll save money on accommodation and food. I've learned to cook many delicious and cheap meals thanks to a great guy so I guess I'll be just fine. The Union recommended me not to look for a house just yet since without a visa I can't actually sign or agree on anything, but to wait until I had my visa and I've been talking to an Italian guy doing my same course and he started looking for a house after getting to Durham; It took him a week.

Hey sorry for the late reply! Somehow I couldn't sign in to TSR for quite a while so I am excluded from what's happening here... Anyway after consulting with my education consultant she also ask me to hold back on the ticket till my visa's apporved. A week sounds a bit worrying but I hope all the best for you. Have you planned when are you going to Durham?
Original post by Shirley_Wholock
I was wondering why the thread went silent until I found out that I accidentally turned off the reminder...sorry for this super late reply! I've already booked the flight to Manchester on Sep.28 (yep this would be tiring but also could save me a handsome amount of money). Hope all is well with you. Love~
Plus, I'm a huge fan of durian!

No worries! Something went round with my laptop and I am out cold here for a while. NIce! I am planning to fly by 27th Sept and reach Newcastle by 28th morning (hopefully) but I haven't book anything yet as I am advised not to until my visa's approved. So I'll probably meet you around the 29th?

Haha your timing is lovely: it's durian season now! You should see the the congested traffic and crowds of durian lovers up in the durian estates.... It's fattening season combined with rice dumplings from Dragon Boat festival.
Reply 178
Original post by RJD7
Hey!

I applied for private accommodation last November (a bit over prepared, I know!). The majority of landlords will have a good idea of when people will be moving out/if they're staying or not. I think it's well worth getting in contact with estate agents and landlords now, they'll be looking to fill the rooms in anticipation of people leaving, even if they haven't gone yet :smile:

Yeah.

Most students are house hunting right now so if you are British I guess you could go to Durham and in a week you might have found what you need. An Italian guy from my course got me into this facebook group. You write what you wan and other members reply with offers or just publish the houses and rooms that are available. Good luck house hunting
https://www.facebook.com/groups/162824307101648/?multi_permalinks=1188808077836594&notif_t=group_highlights&notif_id=1465605283864593
Reply 179
Hey sorry for the late reply! Somehow I couldn't sign in to TSR for quite a while so I am excluded from what's happening here... Anyway after consulting with my education consultant she also ask me to hold back on the ticket till my visa's apporved. A week sounds a bit worrying but I hope all the best for you. Have you planned when are you going to Durham?

Maybe 26 or 27 of September since my flight might last an entire day (the more direct the flight the more expensive it is. As soon as I have my visa I will literary run to buy my ticket. I heard you can find great offers near midnight so fingers crossed for my August bought. I'll receive my answer about my government student loan in 16 days so as soon as I get that loan (or a bank one if I get rejected) I'll start applying for my visa. I'm under a lot of stress not knowing..

Do you have everything in order? I really hope we can all meet there. Not kidding. I obviously know no one there and will be so far away from home.

Quick Reply

Latest