The Student Room Group

£22000 puts you into the top 1% income earners - do you need any more?

Scroll to see replies

I'm wealthier than some poor starving person in a third world country , i've acomplished in life. Bye

22k is not feasible in the UK for my standard of living anyway , more like 50K
Reply 41
Original post by littlenorthernlass
The people in this thread are ridiculous. I'd be made up if I ever got a £22000 salary.

It gets considerably harder once you have rent, a car, family etc.

£22k is indeed a decent salary, but not a life of luxury.
Reply 42
Original post by Bill_Gates

Lets say you own a house outright and own a car.

Realistically do you need to earn more to be happy? (i.e even if you had a high paid job you could give the rest to charity for example).

Also, £22k gross does not put you in the top 1%, it puts you in the 2.50%

First link below is used to show that £22k gross is about £18k after tax & NI, and second link shows that £18k salary after tax & NI puts you in the top 2.50% of people in the world

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tax-calculator/
http://www.globalrichlist.com/
Reply 43
Original post by Princepieman
Same looooool. My part time job is in retail phone sales, and my annualised wage would be ~£22k including bonuses.

My first job at 16 paid about £21k if it were full time.

That was back in the days when 16yr olds could get £10+ p/h part time jobs :moon:
Yes i'm referring to the global 1% of course.

Hence why i assumed you own a house outright and a car. On the basis of purchasing power so people can't complain.

That's skewed by the hundreds/millions of people living in absolute poverty. Hence, your figure is highly misleading.
Original post by Reue
Why use a global income figure without also mentioning relative costs of living?

There's no point trying to compare a UK income to that of a country where you can feed your family for a week on 5p.

Which country is that?
Reply 46
Original post by Juichiro
Which country is that?

I've no idea, but there would be no point in comparing it :wink:
I don't care. I'm not greedy like a lot of people on here they're a bunch of corporate slaves
The people in this thread are ridiculous. I'd be made up if I ever got a £22000 salary.

Not ridiculous. So much money will go after electricity bills and water bills etc, food will cost quite a bit every month, clothes (lets say you buy something every 4 months) will take away some of that, gifts etc during christmas, nights out etc and after tax it would be a bit less. One cannot live comfortably earning 22K there's a reason why this salary is below average.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49

Lets say you own a house outright and own a car.

Realistically do you need to earn more to be happy? (i.e even if you had a high paid job you could give the rest to charity for example).

If I own my home outright, sure.

I can easily live on that.

I could easily live on that with rent/ mortgage where I am. After food (£130); gas, electric + water (£100), petrol + car maintenance, insurance and tax (£100), income tax + NI(£330); I would have £844 left each month. Even if I had to pay rent, I'd still have £300 left each month. Assuming non London prices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reue
My first job at 16 paid about £21k if it were full time.

That was back in the days when 16yr olds could get £10+ p/h part time jobs :moon:

Hahaha, my job before this paid just below that annualised, and I was 16 too haha.

What job was it out of interest?
Reply 51
Original post by Princepieman
Hahaha, my job before this paid just below that annualised, and I was 16 too haha.

What job was it out of interest?

Lifeguard
Original post by Reue
Lifeguard

I've heard about lifeguards having such a chilled job hahaha. That's very cool!
Reply 53
Original post by Katty3
If I own my home outright, sure.

I can easily live on that.

I could easily live on that with rent/ mortgage where I am. After food (£130); gas, electric + water (£100), petrol + car maintenance, insurance and tax (£100), income tax + NI(£330); I would have £844 left each month. Even if I had to pay rent, I'd still have £300 left each month. Assuming non London prices.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So with that spare 300 a month you'd have to save some emergency funds (cars break down, jobs get terminated), pay for clothes, holidays, save for retirement, eat out/entertainment, pay your cell phone/land phone bills, pay any medical not covered by the NHS. There's a list as long as my arm of things that 300 quid would have to cover. It's simply not enough.
Original post by Reue
Why use a global income figure without also mentioning relative costs of living?

There's no point trying to compare a UK income to that of a country where you can feed your family for a week on 5p.

erm as you can see i said you already outright own a home and a car?

SMH. This forum.
Reply 55
my dad earns about 95k a year as a senior consultant for the NHS doubt that makes him part of that 1%
Reply 56
Original post by Howard
So with that spare 300 a month you'd have to save some emergency funds (cars break down, jobs get terminated), pay for clothes, holidays, save for retirement, eat out/entertainment, pay your cell phone/land phone bills, pay any medical not covered by the NHS. There's a list as long as my arm of things that 300 quid would have to cover. It's simply not enough.

That's £300 if I was paying mortgage/ rent. It is enough. I have a cheap phone, I rarely eat out and I included 1 meal out per month in my calculations, books are free from the library and I have no health needs that aren't covered by the NHS. I included money to spend on car breakage, but I calculated for a Nissan Micra. They are known for reliability and the availability of parts.

My ideal holiday involves a tent in the middle of nowhere. My whole family does that for less than £500 for 2 weeks. That's 5 of us and the dog.

I get my clothes from the charity shop, and I spend about £20 a month on them.

Netflix is £6 a month.

Even with added costs, I'd have £220 left per month.

I intend to work as a teacher. Teachers don't tend to lose their jobs unless they're appalling teachers. I'm not.

I don't watch TV. Ever.

£220 is plenty of disposable income.

Anyway, op said that I'd own the house outright so no rent/ mortgage. So I'd have £770 disposable income.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reue
I've no idea, but there would be no point in comparing it :wink:

:redface:
Reply 58
Original post by Katty3
That's £300 if I was paying mortgage/ rent. It is enough. I have a cheap phone, I rarely eat out and I included 1 meal out per month in my calculations, books are free from the library and I have no health needs that aren't covered by the NHS. I included money to spend on car breakage, but I calculated for a Nissan Micra. They are known for reliability and the availability of parts.

My ideal holiday involves a tent in the middle of nowhere. My whole family does that for less than £500 for 2 weeks. That's 5 of us and the dog.

I get my clothes from the charity shop, and I spend about £20 a month on them.

Netflix is £6 a month.

Even with added costs, I'd have £220 left per month.

I intend to work as a teacher. Teachers don't tend to lose their jobs unless they're appalling teachers. I'm not.

I don't watch TV. Ever.

£220 is plenty of disposable income.

Anyway, op said that I'd own the house outright so no rent/ mortgage. So I'd have £770 disposable income.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, I guess we all live our lives differently. Having 20 quid a month to spend on clothes from a charity shop isn't my idea of fun. Nor is 2 weeks in a tent in the middle of nowhere. But again, it's horses for courses.

Wait until you pay taxes, bills, insurance, debts... 22k will find you living very uncomfortably.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending