The Student Room Group

Is 23000/year take home salary good?

I am living overseas and recently got a job offer in Reading with around 23000/year take home salary.
I am still struggling if I should move to the UK or not. I know that the inflation and energy price in the UK is getting crazy recently, so I am not quite sure if this salary supports a good living lol
I will be living with my boyfriend so we hope to live in a one room or studio apartment. My boyfriend hasn't started job hunting yet. Assuming his take home pay is similar as mine, can anyone advise if we can live nicely in Reading with around 45000 take home salary for two people? thanks guys
Original post by Naomi's_trying!
Hey,
Whilst it does depend on how frugal you usually are, how often you like to eat at restaurants/go to bars etc. here are some things you may want to consider:

1. £23k is below the average yearly salary (£38k) and only a little above the average pay for a part-time job (£13k). You're right, gas and petrol prices have inflated hugely, but so have basic necessities such as food. It's getting harder and harder to live here, especially for those who aren't well off.
2. Reading is actually quite a nice place to live (I live in Oxford which is near-ish). But, it is the 7th most expensive place to live in the UK with the average house price in Reading being 40% higher than the UK average.
I, personally, don't think that now is the time to move to the UK. The country is a bit of a state at the moment and living will probably be very challenging until you've settled down. However, if you really feel it in your heart, go for it! <3

Thanks for your advise Naomi! May I know the average salary you mentioned is before or after tax & NI?
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for your advise Naomi! May I know the average salary you mentioned is before or after tax & NI?

The average salary is after several years of employment. 23k for a new grad outside London is decent.
Reply 3

£23k is below the average yearly salary (£38k)

Where on earth have you heard the average net salary is £38k.....?
i dont know anyone even close to 38k. 23k is completely fine even if your boyfriend works minimum wage. Financially you're ok, you just have to weigh up all your options with such a big move
When they said average salary of 38k, this refers to the mean, which includes people who gain extreme amount of pay, e.g. 60k-200k+ region, which pull the salary higher.

The median salary, which is more representative as it isn't warped by very higher earners, is 32k annually in 2021 according to the ONS, for a full-time role.
Hey,
Whilst it does depend on how frugal you usually are, how often you like to eat at restaurants/go to bars etc. here are some things you may want to consider:

1. £23k is below the average yearly salary (£38k) and only a little above the average pay for a part-time job (£13k). You're right, gas and petrol prices have inflated hugely, but so have basic necessities such as food. It's getting harder and harder to live here, especially for those who aren't well off.
2. Reading is actually quite a nice place to live (I live in Oxford which is near-ish). But, it is the 7th most expensive place to live in the UK with the average house price in Reading being 40% higher than the UK average.
I, personally, don't think that now is the time to move to the UK. The country is a bit of a state at the moment and living will probably be very challenging until you've settled down. However, if you really feel it in your heart, go for it! <3

What the hell are you talking about? 38k is NOT the average yearly salary. Besides, OP has a TAKE HOME PAY of 23. I'd imagine their salary to be decent
38k IS the average yearly salary according to the ONS in 2021. However, this refers to mean average, which is skewed by high-earners. The median (32k) is a much better salary to look at for comparative purposes. (I don't know if this median is before or after tax).
It is very bad in this day and age
Reply 9
I am living overseas and recently got a job offer in Reading with around 23000/year take home salary.
I am still struggling if I should move to the UK or not. I know that the inflation and energy price in the UK is getting crazy recently, so I am not quite sure if this salary supports a good living lol
I will be living with my boyfriend so we hope to live in a one room or studio apartment. My boyfriend hasn't started job hunting yet. Assuming his take home pay is similar as mine, can anyone advise if we can live nicely in Reading with around 45000 take home salary for two people? thanks guys

You will be fine on that level of income, particularly once your boyfriend has a job and as the income quoted is take home rather than gross. A quick look at Rightmove suggests you can get a nice one bedroomed apartment for £1150 a month or a studio for £750 and you would always have the option of getting a room in a shared house with bills included for a few months while you get settled and your boyfriend found a job.
Reply 10
Original post by Ira Acedia
38k IS the average yearly salary according to the ONS in 2021. However, this refers to mean average, which is skewed by high-earners. The median (32k) is a much better salary to look at for comparative purposes. (I don't know if this median is before or after tax).

Gross not net....

Are you sure that the 23000/year is take-home? In the UK the convention is that salaries are given (and advertised) as gross figures (i.e. before income tax and national insurance is deducted).
Depends on a variety of factors.
Your location, age, industry, job role, educational & employment experience, hours per day/week/month and amount of antisocial hours shifts you are allocated.
Reply 13
Original post by martin7
Are you sure that the 23000/year is take-home? In the UK the convention is that salaries are given (and advertised) as gross figures (i.e. before income tax and national insurance is deducted).

Goodday Martin7. Thank you for that response. If you can add on a detailed breakdown It wil be helpful from that 23k/yr gross
What is the percentage of income tax, national insurance,
Cost of accommodation if 1 bedroom or studio better secured, groceries, utilities, transport if its 5km or less from work.
General calculations i did with 15% tax, accommodation £560, groceries £300 & utilities £300 you wil be left with around £400 how much will you send home & save. Seems life is a bit tough for now in UK. But enlightening us wil be great.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending