The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan at open university

Hi Everyone
I desperately need some clarity on this topic. I want to study full time at open university and require a maintence loan has it will assist me with my daily living cost. I do fall below the threshold has i am on the low earning bracket and would find it difficult in maintaining a household and still be in full time study.

I have been researching this online and have been on the Gov Website ( see link below). On the Web Site i completed the eligibility page and i do qualify due to me being a low income earner and the course intensity is over 25% but when i contact student finance they tell that i dont qualify has open university is distance learning.

On the online website ( see link below) it says you can get maintenance loan if you study open university based if you a low income earner and the course intensity. I dont mind doing a means test in order to prove i am a genuine student.

My dream is to attain this degree to improve the quality of my life and future. It has been my life long dream but i would not be able achive this without a maintenance loan. Please can some kind person help me with this search and navigate me in the right direction. I will be dearly greatful for every bit assistance i can get.

Thanking you in advance
Jesse

https://quickshare.samsungcloud.com/7snz3s3V0VjF
Original post by Jessel James
Hi Everyone
I desperately need some clarity on this topic. I want to study full time at open university and require a maintence loan has it will assist me with my daily living cost. I do fall below the threshold has i am on the low earning bracket and would find it difficult in maintaining a household and still be in full time study.

I have been researching this online and have been on the Gov Website ( see link below). On the Web Site i completed the eligibility page and i do qualify due to me being a low income earner and the course intensity is over 25% but when i contact student finance they tell that i dont qualify has open university is distance learning.

On the online website ( see link below) it says you can get maintenance loan if you study open university based if you a low income earner and the course intensity. I dont mind doing a means test in order to prove i am a genuine student.

My dream is to attain this degree to improve the quality of my life and future. It has been my life long dream but i would not be able achive this without a maintenance loan. Please can some kind person help me with this search and navigate me in the right direction. I will be dearly greatful for every bit assistance i can get.

Thanking you in advance
Jesse

https://quickshare.samsungcloud.com/7snz3s3V0VjF

Hi Jesse,

Open University students are eligible for a Tuition Fee Loan only. However, new students who are studying a Distance Learning course due to a disability will be eligible for the Part Time Maintenance Loan. Students who are distance learning at with a HEP that would otherwise require attendance can also be eligible for the Part Time Maintenance Loan. Evidence will be required to prove the student is unable to attend due to a disability.

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi Jesse,

Open University students are eligible for a Tuition Fee Loan only. However, new students who are studying a Distance Learning course due to a disability will be eligible for the Part Time Maintenance Loan. Students who are distance learning at with a HEP that would otherwise require attendance can also be eligible for the Part Time Maintenance Loan. Evidence will be required to prove the student is unable to attend due to a disability.

Thanks,
Claire

Thank You Claire for the information. I really appreciate the update.

Regards
Jesse
Original post by Jessel James
Thank You Claire for the information. I really appreciate the update.

Regards
Jesse

You're welcome, Jesse - if you have any further questions feel free to ask.

Thanks, Graeme
Hello, I have mental health issues which prevent me from attending university and would like to apply for the Part Time Maintenance Loan but how do I do this? My course with open university will start in October.
Original post by Lorraine84
Hello, I have mental health issues which prevent me from attending university and would like to apply for the Part Time Maintenance Loan but how do I do this? My course with open university will start in October.

Hi Lorraine,

When the part-time applications open this Summer you just need to apply online here:

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-register-login

When you do you can indicate that you'll be studying distance learning due to a disability: we'll then send you a form to complete that confirms this.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending