The Student Room Group

is 'taxi driver' classed as a job of a lower socio-economic background?

(i posted this on the general chat section too bc i wasnt sure of what topic to post this question under)
im applying for a work experience programme targetting socially mobile backgrounds and one question asks if "The occupation of your main household earner when you were aged 14 is categorised as a lower socio-economic background". I live in a single income household, with the income being less than £16,000 a year and my dad is a taxi driver. the social mobility commission's toolkit classifies 'taxi owner' as being a small business owner who employs <20 employees, but my dad doesnt employ anybody, he is an employee of a taxi company. what category do i fall under? am i classed as having a lower socio-economic background?

link to smc toolkit: https://socialmobilityworks.org/wp-c...d_July2021.pdf
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
A taxi driver once won mastermind!
Also Robert de Niro famously had a stint behind the wheel of a yellow cab.
'Probably'

As you note, there's a significant difference between a hired driver and an owner/operator - not hating on it, it is what it is. I'd say a hired driver counted as 'Routine, semi-routine manual and service occupations' rather than business owner

Quick Reply

Latest