The Student Room Group

Cyber Security or Finance???

Both degrees are absolute fantastic if wanna earn potential 6 figures whilst also not doing loads of stuff like accountants you have to pass like 13-15 exams depending on what accounting exam you wanna do or uni offers which is better getting a degree in and is useful like can get in good jobs with it like for example I was thinking of this getting a degree in finance work in audit for like 5-6 years then move to and apply for the big 6 figure cyber security jobs like cisa or ciso and grc and work my way up because 2 dream uni offers for me is accounting and finance at Durham or cyber security at Warwick and this is someone who is in year 11 stuck in what a levels to pick I don’t wanna pick maths computer science physics further maths statistics all those hard subjects I wanna pick subject that get top grades because none say need those kind of subject just Warwick for cyber security preferred stems I’m thinking of doing economics,law and sociology thoughts???
Reply 1
Original post by aryc_30
Both degrees are absolute fantastic if wanna earn potential 6 figures whilst also not doing loads of stuff like accountants you have to pass like 13-15 exams depending on what accounting exam you wanna do or uni offers which is better getting a degree in and is useful like can get in good jobs with it like for example I was thinking of this getting a degree in finance work in audit for like 5-6 years then move to and apply for the big 6 figure cyber security jobs like cisa or ciso and grc and work my way up because 2 dream uni offers for me is accounting and finance at Durham or cyber security at Warwick and this is someone who is in year 11 stuck in what a levels to pick I don’t wanna pick maths computer science physics further maths statistics all those hard subjects I wanna pick subject that get top grades because none say need those kind of subject just Warwick for cyber security preferred stems I’m thinking of doing economics,law and sociology thoughts???

Someone pls may answer
Reply 2
Original post by aryc_30

What do you want out of life? Is money the most important thing or is life experience / satisfaction the most important? If money is the most important thing then you are wasting your time with university. Why waste all that time and money when you could start a business up tomorrow that is turning over several million in three years time. Remember, the definition of small to medium in business is anything up to £10 to £50 million turnover a year.

But if that isn't for you, what do you enjoy because frankly cyber security and finance are at completely opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of skill requirement. Finance is technical and detail focussed. Cyber security is multi-faceted and generally people oriented. But either way, where as there are job roles in each industry that attract 6 figure salaries these are usually for senior figures e.g. not 5 year graduates and attract the best of the best. Are you the best of the best? In most industry jobs, the middle earners get very much less than the headline figures banded about by optimistic undergrads like you.

So if I were you, I would decide what your motivation in life is and go there but if I can offer one piece of advice, it is that money doesn't bring you happiness. You might think it does, but it really doesn't. And the respect the wealthy get is not genuine respect. It is shallow and superficial.
Reply 3
Original post by hotpud
What do you want out of life? Is money the most important thing or is life experience / satisfaction the most important? If money is the most important thing then you are wasting your time with university. Why waste all that time and money when you could start a business up tomorrow that is turning over several million in three years time. Remember, the definition of small to medium in business is anything up to £10 to £50 million turnover a year.

But if that isn't for you, what do you enjoy because frankly cyber security and finance are at completely opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of skill requirement. Finance is technical and detail focussed. Cyber security is multi-faceted and generally people oriented. But either way, where as there are job roles in each industry that attract 6 figure salaries these are usually for senior figures e.g. not 5 year graduates and attract the best of the best. Are you the best of the best? In most industry jobs, the middle earners get very much less than the headline figures banded about by optimistic undergrads like you.

So if I were you, I would decide what your motivation in life is and go there but if I can offer one piece of advice, it is that money doesn't bring you happiness. You might think it does, but it really doesn't. And the respect the wealthy get is not genuine respect. It is shallow and superficial.

I’m saying which has better job satisfaction and makes more money and is better
Without Maths at AL you’re really going to struggle to get into a decent undergrad course for either discipline. (It’s not essential for cyber at Warwick but they state that they prefer STEM subjects).

Another way of looking at it is if you’re not going to put in some hard work now, six figure salaries are unlikely to be on the radar because there are countless candidates who want to work in those fields who will.

And just to add that I worked in finance for over a decade. I think I may have met less than 10 people who were likely on six figures. The reality of most roles is much more mundane.
Reply 5
Hi - just pondering - how strong at maths are you? I think that might make a difference.
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
Without Maths at AL you’re really going to struggle to get into a decent undergrad course for either discipline. (It’s not essential for cyber at Warwick but they state that they prefer STEM subjects).

Another way of looking at it is if you’re not going to put in some hard work now, six figure salaries are unlikely to be on the radar because there are countless candidates who want to work in those fields who will.

And just to add that I worked in finance for over a decade. I think I may have met less than 10 people who were likely on six figures. The reality of most roles is much more mundane.

What do you think should do then in this place
Reply 7
Original post by aryc_30
I’m saying which has better job satisfaction and makes more money and is better

Hang on - you are confusing two things. What is more important? Job satisfaction or making money. Making money is just that. You single goal is making money and most people who pursue money will pretty much put up with everything so long as they achieve their goal of money.

Job satisfaction is a different kettle of fish and usually revolves around making a difference or doing something meaningful. Finally, you need to add in personality types. I teach. I love teaching. Way more satisfying and enjoyable than sitting in an office bored to tears, talking to no one, but making double the amount of money.

There are jobs out there that are satisfying and make money but my advice is pursue the enjoyable jobs and if they make money, that is a bonus. Money really is not worth it if a 1/5th of your life is unbearable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending