The Student Room Group

Management consultant here to answer your questions

Hello,

Many years ago, this forum was invaluable in my aim to start a career in consulting. As it's the week before Christmas, and things are quiet, I have some time on my hands - so I thought I'd share some advice and wisdom.

I've worked at the Big 4 and Accenture for 5 years now and have a fairly good knowledge of the consulting industry.

If you have any questions about consulting, clients, interviewing, assessment centres, perks, salaries, bonuses, burnout, or whatever you want - please feel free to post them here and I'l try to help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there, thanks for the initiative!

Three questions:

1) How possible do you think it is for a banker to switch to consulting or viceversa? Which route is easier?

2) How easy is it to lateral from one consulting firm to another after a year into the job?

3) How are Capgemini (Management Consulting, not tech consulting) and AT Kearney considered reputation-wise?

Thanks a lot!!
Reply 2
Original post by ConsultioConsult
Hello,

Many years ago, this forum was invaluable in my aim to start a career in consulting. As it's the week before Christmas, and things are quiet, I have some time on my hands - so I thought I'd share some advice and wisdom.

I've worked at the Big 4 and Accenture for 5 years now and have a fairly good knowledge of the consulting industry.

If you have any questions about consulting, clients, interviewing, assessment centres, perks, salaries, bonuses, burnout, or whatever you want - please feel free to post them here and I'l try to help!

Bump, in case you didnt see my reply
Original post by vgold
Hi there, thanks for the initiative!

Three questions:

1) How possible do you think it is for a banker to switch to consulting or viceversa? Which route is easier?

2) How easy is it to lateral from one consulting firm to another after a year into the job?

3) How are Capgemini (Management Consulting, not tech consulting) and AT Kearney considered reputation-wise?

Thanks a lot!!

1) It happens a LOT. For Retail and Commercial Banking, it is easy to move each way. If you move from banking to consulting though, it'll be in part due to your expertise and knowledge, so you'll struggle to work outside of financial services (i.e. if you moved from banking to consulting, and wanted to work for private sector clients, it will be tough).

For investment banking, it tends to be IB --> Consulting, rather than the other way, but it depends on your consulting experience. If you've worked on capital market projects for a couple of years, you will have a good shot at moving to an investment bank.

If you've worked at a consultancy for 4-5 years+, it can be very lucrative to move to a bank as a contractor, where rates are £500 per day+ (and various tax benefits).

2) Fairly easy after 2 years. After one year, people will wonder why you are moving so soon, and they won't expect you to have developed a core consulting skill set - in short, it's not impossible but will raise questions.

3) CapGemini are in good regard, but not seen by clients nor other consultancies as on the same level as the Big4, Accenture, or MBB. I've not had any experience with ATKearney so cannot comment.
Realistically, what degree do you need to have to get on in consulting?
Reply 5
1) It happens a LOT. For Retail and Commercial Banking, it is easy to move each way. If you move from banking to consulting though, it'll be in part due to your expertise and knowledge, so you'll struggle to work outside of financial services (i.e. if you moved from banking to consulting, and wanted to work for private sector clients, it will be tough).

For investment banking, it tends to be IB --> Consulting, rather than the other way, but it depends on your consulting experience. If you've worked on capital market projects for a couple of years, you will have a good shot at moving to an investment bank.

If you've worked at a consultancy for 4-5 years+, it can be very lucrative to move to a bank as a contractor, where rates are £500 per day+ (and various tax benefits).

2) Fairly easy after 2 years. After one year, people will wonder why you are moving so soon, and they won't expect you to have developed a core consulting skill set - in short, it's not impossible but will raise questions.

3) CapGemini are in good regard, but not seen by clients nor other consultancies as on the same level as the Big4, Accenture, or MBB. I've not had any experience with ATKearney so cannot comment.

Thanks a lot, this is really helpful!

Two other queries, if I may. What are the exit opps like from a 2nd/3rd tier Management Consulting job (eg. KPMG, Capgemini, etc) and when is the "best" time to leave? I know "best" is rather subjective, but I guess young consultants would have a wider breadth of exit opps than Partners. Or am I wrong? When do most people go for exit opps?

Thanks again!
Original post by jambojim97
Realistically, what degree do you need to have to get on in consulting?

That depends significantly on the particular graduate programme you are applying to, but in general they are looking for strong A-Level results and a challenging degree.

Once you are on a graduate scheme, with a couple of years under your belt, no one cares where you went to uni (at all).
Original post by vgold
Thanks a lot, this is really helpful!

Two other queries, if I may. What are the exit opps like from a 2nd/3rd tier Management Consulting job (eg. KPMG, Capgemini, etc) and when is the "best" time to leave? I know "best" is rather subjective, but I guess young consultants would have a wider breadth of exit opps than Partners. Or am I wrong? When do most people go for exit opps?

Thanks again!

I've observed that people often leave after 2 years, and then after 5 years (yes, yes, of course there are exceptions)

After 2 years, it is often a move into another junior but challenging position - e.g. with a start-up or tech company, another consultancy, or a bank. I've never seen someone leave consulting to join another graduate programme.

After 5 years, people leave either because they are burnt out or have had enough of consulting, or they are attracted by a senior management position in industry with an equivalent salary, but better hours and more stability in terms of location (as mentioned, moving into contracting with 5 years experience is VERY lucrative - taking home £6-8K per month after tax is not unusual). Some people do move to other consultancies, to get a promotion, but this doesn't happen as often as the work doesn't vary that much from firm-to-firm and you have to rebuild your network at a new employer.

Whether it is 2 years...3 years...10 years...you will eventually start to question life on the road and the long hours. To a certain degree it is those who can make life work, despite the instability of the job, that stick it out for the long haul.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
I've observed that people often leave after 2 years, and then after 5 years (yes, yes, of course there are exceptions)

After 2 years, it is often a move into another junior but challenging position - e.g. with a start-up or tech company, another consultancy, or a bank. I've never seen someone leave consulting to join another graduate programme.

After 5 years, people leave either because they are burnt out or have had enough of consulting, or they are attracted by a senior management position in industry with an equivalent salary, but better hours and more stability in terms of location (as mentioned, moving into contracting with 5 years experience is VERY lucrative - taking home £6-8K per month after tax is not unusual). Some people do move to other consultancies, to get a promotion, but this doesn't happen as often as the work doesn't vary that much from firm-to-firm and you have to rebuild your network at a new employer.

Whether it is 2 years...3 years...10 years...you will eventually start to question life on the road and the long hours. To a certain degree it is those who can make life work, despite the instability of the job, that stick it out for the long haul.

Thanks!

Are exit opps outside Consulting still attractive if you start at a 2nd/3rd tier Consulting firm?
Original post by vgold
Thanks!

Are exit opps outside Consulting still attractive if you start at a 2nd/3rd tier Consulting firm?

Yes, fundamentally you're still working in management consulting, which (regardless of your employer) is challenging work. After two years in the job, recruiters will magically get hold of your personal mobile number, and you'll never answer a blocked call in the same way again.
Reply 10
Yes, fundamentally you're still working in management consulting, which (regardless of your employer) is challenging work. After two years in the job, recruiters will magically get hold of your personal mobile number, and you'll never answer a blocked call in the same way again.

Thanks again for doing this. Great to see some people are still willing to help out.

May I ask what your future plans are? Do you see yourself staying in Consulting for the foreseeable future?
Original post by vgold
Thanks again for doing this. Great to see some people are still willing to help out.

May I ask what your future plans are? Do you see yourself staying in Consulting for the foreseeable future?

My opinion on this changes regularly - monthly at best, daily at worst! It really depends on the particular project you are working on and how it aligns to your goals. This is an inherently stressful and demanding job, and it is absolutely not for everyone.

I'm now at a cross roads where I will do one of three things:

1) Stay in consulting and push for senior management. The draw here is security, good money, and good experience.
2) Move into a start up or fin tech company
3) Move into contracting for a couple of years, save a decent sum £50-75K, and either start a business or go travelling (or ideally, both)

I'm currently learning towards (3) but will wait until early in the new year to make a call.
Reply 12
Hi,

is it common to interview people who go to university outside of the UK like it is for banks who recruit from Bocconi, HEC etc for their London office? Or are candidate expected to apply to their home countries?

Thank you very much.
Original post by uiopü
Hi,

is it common to interview people who go to university outside of the UK like it is for banks who recruit from Bocconi, HEC etc for their London office? Or are candidate expected to apply to their home countries?

Thank you very much.

Interesting question. For graduate programmes I've often seen a mix, however I would say the large majority of candidates have at least studied in the UK (whether they are British or not). Experienced hires can come from anywhere though, but again have typically studied or worked in the UK first.
how many years of experience do you need to becomes a contractor (reputable and trustworthy)?

Also would you say big four / accenture is a good enough selling point for you? Wouldn't organisations just go to contractors who have previsouly worked for an MBB firm?

I do know some people who charge about £1k a day for consultancy to do with real estate development projects, so I'm guessing you can make a decent amount as a contractor.
I'm in audit at a big 4. How easy is it/is it possible to move once I qualify? How do the hours and pay compare to big 4 audit?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by blue-city
how many years of experience do you need to becomes a contractor (reputable and trustworthy)?

Also would you say big four / accenture is a good enough selling point for you? Wouldn't organisations just go to contractors who have previsouly worked for an MBB firm?

I do know some people who charge about £1k a day for consultancy to do with real estate development projects, so I'm guessing you can make a decent amount as a contractor.

Most contractors do not take the leap from consulting until they have at least 4-5 years of experience under their belt. The issue is that once you move into contracting, it is hard to increase your daily rate. A consultant may move into contracting after 5 years and earn £500-600 a day, but if they stayed in consulting until they were a senior manager, and then moved into contracting, they could demand £1000+ per day. It depends on your personal circumstances and goals, and the direction you want to take your career.

I would say that Big4/Acn experience is enough to move into contracting; I've seen plenty of colleagues do it. Remember that organisations need a) lots of contractors; there isn't such a large pool of MBB alumni looking to move into contracting and b) contractors who can manage projects and delivery, MBB alumni will have experience that is more focussed on strategy and design, which does not necessarily translate into making a good contractor if a client needs people to project manage something or map some processes.

(That said, there are of course contracting opportunities for ex-MBB if that is the path they want to take).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by stirkee
I'm in audit at a big 4. How easy is it/is it possible to move once I qualify? How do the hours and pay compare to big 4 audit?

I don't know many people in Audit. But from what I know (this may not be the case everywhere) the pay is slightly higher in consulting but the hours significantly longer.

I have only ever seen people move from Consulting into Audit, never observed a movement the other way.
(edited 8 years ago)
As you have worked in Accenture, I am quite interested in the firm. Obviously in the news the company seems to be growing and developing positively. How is it like working there? I heard there is a lot of analysts at the lower levels and there can be a lot of bureaucracy (e.g. in terms of promotion, surely not every analyst will be promoted after 2 years). Also what is the work like at Accenture? Is it mainly technology implementation? And where do you see the future of technology consultancy? Most people are only interested in strategy/management but do you see a good/prosperous career in technology too?

And lastly, how are the people like in the firms you have worked in? Is it very diverse in terms of ethnicity/degree/universities and always a few that you are very close friends with?

Thanks in advance
What % of consultants were Oxbridge at Big 4 and then at Accenture?Also, what is contracting exactly?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending