The Student Room Group

how can i get an internship

I'm currently living in london and I need work experiences at veterinary practices in order to apply for veterinary courses for uni. I've emailed a few vet clinics and they have all replied and said they did not need interns. what do i do now? Any help would be appreciated
In response to your question, you just have to keep trying. Ensure that you're completely clear with your wording; I'd hesitate to describe work experience as an internship. If you can't get an ongoing placement, try and get single weeks during school holidays. You may find that after doing a week or so they're more inclined to have you there on a weekly basis if that's what you want. In the meantime, be flexible with the dates you offer to go and be persistent.

This website may be of some help: http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/ Where abouts in London are you? If it's NW I may have some contacts for you that definitely take work exp.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by tifflcy
I'm currently living in london and I need work experiences at veterinary practices in order to apply for veterinary courses for uni. I've emailed a few vet clinics and they have all replied and said they did not need interns. what do i do now? Any help would be appreciated

You need to ask larger structures, because vets are often working alone and they won't be able to simply accommodate you in their office.

Try zoos or animal parks.
Original post by Josb
You need to ask larger structures, because vets are often working alone and they won't be able to simply accommodate you in their office.

Try zoos or animal parks.

I've done work experience at a couple of places where there was only one vet. That's not true.

Placements at zoos and wildlife parks, while good to do, aren't absolutely necessary (unlike placements at vet practices) and offer less insight into the profession.
Reply 4
Original post by Little Tail Chaser
I've done work experience at a couple of places where there was only one vet. That's not true.

Placements at zoos and wildlife parks, while good to do, aren't absolutely necessary (unlike placements at vet practices) and offer less insight into the profession.

I didn't say it was impossible to do an internship with a vet, just that they probably won't have time/space for an intern.

Original post by tifflcy

Do you specifically have to do your internship with a vet? for how long?
Original post by Josb
I didn't say it was impossible to do an internship with a vet, just that they probably won't have time/space for an intern.

Work experience is a requirement for getting onto the veterinary course and it is offered by a large number of practices so I have literally no clue what you're basing this on. Often if they won't take students it's due to insurance reasons, even small practices take people on otherwise.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Apologies for the less than helpful and oh-so-hilarious advice you've received above :colonhash:

In response to your question, you just have to keep trying. Ensure that you're completely clear with your wording; I'd hesitate to describe work experience as an internship. If you can't get an ongoing placement, try and get single weeks during school holidays. You may find that after doing a week or so they're more inclined to have you there on a weekly basis if that's what you want. In the meantime, be flexible with the dates you offer to go and be persistent.

This website may be of some help: http://findavet.rcvs.org.uk/find-a-vet/ Where abouts in London are you? If it's NW I may have some contacts for you that definitely take work exp.

appreciate your help! I live in West central area, but i wouldnt mind travelling (as i'm really really desperate..)
Reply 7
Original post by Josb

Do you specifically have to do your internship with a vet? for how long?

To apply for the BVetMed you will need to have prior work experience in order to have developed animal handling skills and obtained an insight into the work of veterinary surgeons. Before you apply, you must have completed the minimum requirements:

A total of two weeks of work experience (paid or voluntary) in one or more veterinary practices

A total of two weeks in a variety of different animal environments (outside of your home environment).

this is the requirement of RVC, but for Liverpool the minimum requirements are 6 weeks of work experience and 6 weeks of working in different animal environments..
Reply 8
Work experience is a requirement for getting onto the veterinary course and it is offered by a large number of practices so I have literally no clue what you're basing this on. Often if they won't take students it's due to insurance reasons, even small practices take people on otherwise.

any idea what should i write if i were to send them emails?
Original post by tifflcy
appreciate your help! I live in West central area, but i wouldnt mind travelling (as i'm really really desperate..)

I'll drop you a PM

Original post by tifflcy
any idea what should i write if i were to send them emails?

I'd include:

Your age

Your school and which year you're in

Where possible offer them a range of dates when you're free rather than a specific week (but that's fine too!).

A little bit about anything you've done previously (when writing to my first placements I just told them that I had experience taking care of my pets, later I reflected on other placements)

Explain why you want to go (not just because you need to do the placement to meet uni requirements, because you want to gain more insight into the career)

What you expect to do (show some understanding that you won't be injecting animals and carrying out open heart surgery yourself, and that you're also not there to snuggle cute kittens all day. Expect lots of cleaning!)

At the end I always gave them my home and mobile telephone numbers in case that was a more convenient method of contact.

Remember to thank them for their time. I used to write 'I look forward to hearing from you soon' too.

I think that just about covers it. You don't have to write a novel (in fact don't- keep it to the point). Best of luck :smile:

Original post by tifflcy
for Liverpool the minimum requirements are 6 weeks of work experience and 6 weeks of working in different animal environments..

Just to clarify, the requirement for Liverpool is ten weeks; four at vet practices and six husbandry (different animal environments)
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending