The Student Room Group

Predicted degree class for internship

I’m an engineering student in first year and I want to know how internship applications works as they have a degree classification requirement. I am aiming for a first but I’m in the 2.1s and I want to apply for internship in my second yr.

How does it work
Original post by AlevelMaths16
I’m an engineering student in first year and I want to know how internship applications works as they have a degree classification requirement. I am aiming for a first but I’m in the 2.1s and I want to apply for internship in my second yr.

How does it work

Hi @AlevelMaths16,

It's great that you're taking an active role in looking at internship opportunities already. So how the degree requirement work is generally a lot of trust provided by the company. Generally for application forms you will be asked what your predicted grade is and what modules you have undertook - their grades, modules you are currently taking - their predicted grades, and they may ask which modules you will be taking. When asking for a predicted grade you can take it one of two ways: you can say this is what I predict I am going to get knowing my strengths and my abilities or you can play it safe and just write what grade you're currently at.

Most of the time, they don't ask for proof - it's only if you were offered a graduate job do they want proof of your degree.

I hope this helps!

- Amaani (Mechanical Engineering, FST Ambassador)
Reply 2
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @AlevelMaths16,

It's great that you're taking an active role in looking at internship opportunities already. So how the degree requirement work is generally a lot of trust provided by the company. Generally for application forms you will be asked what your predicted grade is and what modules you have undertook - their grades, modules you are currently taking - their predicted grades, and they may ask which modules you will be taking. When asking for a predicted grade you can take it one of two ways: you can say this is what I predict I am going to get knowing my strengths and my abilities or you can play it safe and just write what grade you're currently at.

Most of the time, they don't ask for proof - it's only if you were offered a graduate job do they want proof of your degree.

I hope this helps!

- Amaani (Mechanical Engineering, FST Ambassador)

I understand now. Thank you
Original post by AlevelMaths16

How does it work

There is no standard process as every company is different. Universities don't typically provide predicted grades either. If the requirement is a 2:1, you say or confirm you are on track to achieve that, any apply.
Reply 4
Original post by Smack
There is no standard process as every company is different. Universities don't typically provide predicted grades either. If the requirement is a 2:1, you say or confirm you are on track to achieve that, any apply.

That makes sense

Quick Reply

Latest