The Student Room Group

Summer Internships help

I have just finished my first year of uni and I'm now looking for summer internships during the summer so that I can get work experience and more skills but all the summer interns that I have minimum requirements of graduated uni or at last year of university.
Please can someone give me advice on where I can get successfull internships specifically towards the IT field thanks.
This is not the case, you can certainly find internships in you first year, however for this summer - I would say you are far too late, you may find an internship now however most internships open early September (some even August) and most are closed by December - this is for Computer Science - I saw you say IT but I dunno if you meant CompSci. There are some good websites that I can suggest that even filter internships down to available for first years as majority do want a 2nd year to apply so they can get the student when they graduate.

Here's a good link: https://www.gradcracker.com - great place to start and allows you to filter via being a first year. If you can confirm you meant CompSci I can certainly try to help more :smile:

Original post by Anonymous
I have just finished my first year of uni and I'm now looking for summer internships during the summer so that I can get work experience and more skills but all the summer interns that I have minimum requirements of graduated uni or at last year of university.
Please can someone give me advice on where I can get successfull internships specifically towards the IT field thanks.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Afrrcyn
This is not the case, you can certainly find internships in you first year, however for this summer - I would say you are far too late, you may find an internship now however most internships open early September (some even August) and most are closed by December - this is for Computer Science - I saw you say IT but I dunno if you meant CompSci. There are some good websites that I can suggest that even filter internships down to available for first years as majority do want a 2nd year to apply so they can get the student when they graduate.

Here's a good link: https://www.gradcracker.com - great place to start and allows you to filter via being a first year. If you can confirm you meant CompSci I can certainly try to help more :smile:

Hello #Afrryn thanks for your help I appreciate it so the course that I'm studying at uni is BSc Business Computing so I don't mind if I get internships related towards computer science or business related as my course has a combination of computing and business related modules. I think it would be good if I start early so that I can get more experience and it would also look good in my CV. Currently I work part time at Sainsburys at the checkouts and as a supervisor, I would like to get work experience related towards my course, thanks.
Original post by Anonymous
Hello #Afrryn thanks for your help I appreciate it so the course that I'm studying at uni is BSc Business Computing so I don't mind if I get internships related towards computer science or business related as my course has a combination of computing and business related modules. I think it would be good if I start early so that I can get more experience and it would also look good in my CV. Currently I work part time at Sainsburys at the checkouts and as a supervisor, I would like to get work experience related towards my course, thanks.

So I am not exactly sure how the business side works to be honest, I know a mate of mine got a business internship role this summer even though he is only CompSci, however if you are looking for the CompSci side of things, which is what I have done, you will be expected to perform some sort of coding puzzle generally, very much like a leetcode: https://leetcode.com/problemset/all/ You should also require a general understanding of how to. work out the complexity of any code as well as an understanding of common data structures, this is very general advice, if you were applying for Web Application Internship, I would say some experience with possible React, some knowledge about REST and what not, so I guess whilst you can start practising these things know, if you know what part you are going into, you can learn about the deeper topics that make you look better than other candidates.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending