The Student Room Group

How long would it take to become an obstetrician with ltft training from st1

How long would I take to become an obstetrician with less than than full time training from st1
Reply 1
Original post by ppjk
How long would I take to become an obstetrician with less than than full time training from st1

You have to do the equivalent of a full-time 7 years ST training to reach your CCT. The length it takes you to that depends on how much LTFT you do - you can do up to 50%, in which case that 7 years will take you 14 years (as each year is only worth 6 months out of a possible 12). You can do less, for example 70% LTFT would take 10 years 3 months rather than 7 years.

e: I am assuming you mean obstetrics consultant?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Beska
You have to do the equivalent of a full-time 7 years ST training to reach your CCT. The length it takes you to that depends on how much LTFT you do - you can do up to 50%, in which case that 7 years will take you 14 years (as each year is only worth 6 months out of a possible 12). You can do less, for example 70% LTFT would take 10 years 3 months rather than 7 years.

e: I am assuming you mean obstetrics consultant?

Do you think it seems manageable to complete this in 10 years with 2 children and one on the way

These people make it look easy OP
Reply 4
Original post by ppjk
Do you think it seems manageable to complete this in 10 years with 2 children and one on the way

I have absolutely no idea and wouldn't want to even guess!

Original post by homeland.lsw

These people make it look easy OP

Isn't that 'Call The Midwife'? Midwifery isn't obstetrics...!
Reply 5
Original post by ppjk

Depends how much mat leave you were planning on taking and what %LTFT you ended up being. But it's not a race! You may want to do research along the way, or a subspecialty fellowship, which will all add to your time in training. You're getting paid all that time and gaining valuable experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending