The Student Room Group

Quant with a Chemistry PhD?

So being a quant for an investment bank sounds interesting. I've heard they like Maths and Computer science PhDs so what chance do I stand if I was to get a PhD in a physical or computational area of Chemistry? I qualified for the British Math Olympiad which shows my apptitude for Math, I'm assuming this will help. I'm also very confident of meeting my offer for Warwick which I know investment banks like.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump
Original post by Lucasium
So being a quant for an investment bank sounds interesting. I've heard they like Maths and Computer science PhDs so what chance do I stand if I was to get a PhD in a physical or computational area of Chemistry? I qualified for the British Math Olympiad which shows my apptitude for Math, I'm assuming this will help. I'm also very confident of meeting my offer for Warwick which I know investment banks like.

If the PhD involves computer programming then they'll be interested, if not then they won't. It's likely to be as simple as that. I don't mean to be mean and I might not have been that good at interviews but there did seem to be a definite bias toward Oxbridge/French grand Ecoles/Ivy League at some places. With a Warwick maths PhD (that was reasonably well related to the sort of maths they do in finance) it took me 9 months in 2011 to find a fairly mediocre quant risk job at a big investment bank. I didn't find it particularly interesting nor was the money so fantastic I couldn't leave either, hence 15 months later I moved onto pastures new and I don't have any regrets about doing so either.
Reply 3
Original post by CharlieGEM
If the PhD involves computer programming then they'll be interested, if not then they won't. It's likely to be as simple as that. I don't mean to be mean and I might not have been that good at interviews but there did seem to be a definite bias toward Oxbridge/French grand Ecoles/Ivy League at some places. With a Warwick maths PhD (that was reasonably well related to the sort of maths they do in finance) it took me 9 months in 2011 to find a fairly mediocre quant risk job at a big investment bank. I didn't find it particularly interesting nor was the money so fantastic I couldn't leave either, hence 15 months later I moved onto pastures new and I don't have any regrets about doing so either.

Were you just looking for quant jobs in the Uk?
Were you just looking for quant jobs in the Uk?

The US and Japan as well. Had a phone interview for GS in New York before I finished the PhD, didn't go brilliantly I have to confess.

Judging from your post it doesn't look like you have done much research. Quant jobs are hard to find and it is an extremely competitive field to break into. You need to do a lot of research into what they actually do and you need to try and network with people to get connections to quant traders/programmers. Your degree is fine as long as it is very quantitative and computational chemistry sounds good.

But don't do a PhD just so that you can get a quant job. A PhD requires a lot of commitment and passion for the subject. Tbh, I feel that people waste their talents by going into quant jobs instead of into scientific research. Life is not all about money. If money is what you are after, don't bother doing the PhD. Just apply for investment banking/trading internships and get a full time offer from there.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by hoping4Astars
Judging from your post it doesn't look like you have done much research. Quant jobs are hard to find and it is an extremely competitive field to break into. You need to do a lot of research into what they actually do and you need to try and network with people to get connections to quant traders/programmers. Your degree is fine as long as it is very quantitative and computational chemistry sounds good.

But don't do a PhD just so that you can get a quant job. A PhD requires a lot of commitment and passion for the subject. Tbh, I feel that people waste their talents by going into quant jobs instead of into scientific research. Life is not all about money. If money is what you are after, don't bother doing the PhD. Just apply for investment banking/trading internships and get a full time offer from there.

Chemistry is interesting but there are bleak job prospects http://sciencenotes.org/working-as-a-chemist-what-real-chemists-have-to-say/
Reply 7
The US and Japan as well. Had a phone interview for GS in New York before I finished the PhD, didn't go brilliantly I have to confess.

Why didn't your interviews go very well?
Why didn't your interviews go very well?

That particular one because I wasn't having my most intelligent day and the interviewer sounded like an Ivy Leaguer who was trying to make a point of proving that someone from a "no-name" school wasn't up to the GS standard.

In general, I didn't have many problems at all with the maths side of interviews but realistically being a quant was a pragmatic financial decision (due to the awful job market in science) rather than something I'm passionate about, something I tried to hide but might have come across in some interviews. My other weakness in interviews is that I enjoy strength sports as a hobby (I'm 5'8" 19st and most of that is muscle) and most interviewers in investment banks are fairly closed minded individuals.

To be honest I didn't find working as a quant satisfying in any sense: intellectually (the products traded are way simpler than pre-2007), morally (the job is really just helping those with more wealth than they deserve become even more wealthy), socially (being surrounded by a narrow section of society whose main goal is money is not fun) or financially (the pay is a small fraction of what it was pre-2007 for a number of reasons).
Reply 10
That particular one because I wasn't having my most intelligent day and the interviewer sounded like an Ivy Leaguer who was trying to make a point of proving that someone from a "no-name" school wasn't up to the GS standard.

In general, I didn't have many problems at all with the maths side of interviews but realistically being a quant was a pragmatic financial decision (due to the awful job market in science) rather than something I'm passionate about, something I tried to hide but might have come across in some interviews. My other weakness in interviews is that I enjoy strength sports as a hobby (I'm 5'8" 19st and most of that is muscle) and most interviewers in investment banks are fairly closed minded individuals.

To be honest I didn't find working as a quant satisfying in any sense: intellectually (the products traded are way simpler than pre-2007), morally (the job is really just helping those with more wealth than they deserve become even more wealthy), socially (being surrounded by a narrow section of society whose main goal is money is not fun) or financially (the pay is a small fraction of what it was pre-2007 for a number of reasons).

Thanks for the detailed replies. I'm confused here because I thought Warwick is liked by banks, maybe your guy was just a dick. What were the Math questions like?
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks for the detailed replies. I'm confused here because I thought Warwick is liked by banks, maybe your guy was just a dick. What were the Math questions like?

Warwick is liked by banks to a point. In the US, I doubt anyone will have heard of Warwick: Oxford and Cambridge are the famous ones. Banking is elitist and a lot of the technical division directors especially the more prestigious ones will have a masters or PhD from Oxbridge or a Grand Ecole. Don't get me wrong I think Warwick is a great university and my supervisor won a Fields Medal and was in no way inferior to anyone at those universities but I get the impression that for a front office position Oxbridge and even Imperial are favoured whether that is logical or not.

To illustrate, I did an undergraduate masters at Warwick (4 year MMath) and got the top first (probably one of the highest overall marks in the last 20 years or so) as well as doing a PhD with an advisor who won a Fields Medal. I think I got 4 interviews in total including phone interviews and a couple of hedge fund interviews (one was scheduled at the same time as an interview at Citibank hence I couldn't even go and where I did decide to attend caused a massive strop on the other end of the phone: "no one turns down Brevan Howard"). So realistically a pretty lukewarm return.

Probably the most common topic are probability questions of various kinds. Evaluating integrals seemed to be another common one. I was asked to derive the Black Scholes a couple of times. Then there were more esoteric questions like measures on a sphere and whether I could divide a plane with any number of points on it with any number of points on one side of the line.

Your best return for time invested would probably concentrating on probability, game theory and financial maths.

Olympiad math is not university math (UG) and UG math is not PG math. A quant traditionally does research and writes papers, some even create models to generate their own pnl.

Research in math is rather weird. Unlike a theoretical research, whereby you formulate a hypothesis, test its validity and conclude, research in math involves devising something unique that's not investigated before. How would one know that your topic will take 3 years (and not 3 days or 30 years) is anybody's guess, so it does take a certain type to enjoy that kind of work.

There are three main qualities recruiters for quants are seeking:

mathematical ability
programming experience
financial knowledge

From my experience, major investment banks recruit French and German graduates and postgraduates principally because of the quality of their degree content, even more so than Oxbridge, who may have the academic rigour but not the broad range of practical skills demanded.

Add to that the language skills (and bias towards their own nationalities) and it's not difficult to understand why they (French and Germans) have a strong presence.

Warwick is liked by banks to a point. In the US, I doubt anyone will have heard of Warwick: Oxford and Cambridge are the famous ones. Banking is elitist and a lot of the technical division directors especially the more prestigious ones will have a masters or PhD from Oxbridge or a Grand Ecole. Don't get me wrong I think Warwick is a great university and my supervisor won a Fields Medal and was in no way inferior to anyone at those universities but I get the impression that for a front office position Oxbridge and even Imperial are favoured whether that is logical or not.

To illustrate, I did an undergraduate masters at Warwick (4 year MMath) and got the top first (probably one of the highest overall marks in the last 20 years or so) as well as doing a PhD with an advisor who won a Fields Medal. I think I got 4 interviews in total including phone interviews and a couple of hedge fund interviews (one was scheduled at the same time as an interview at Citibank hence I couldn't even go and where I did decide to attend caused a massive strop on the other end of the phone: "no one turns down Brevan Howard"). So realistically a pretty lukewarm return.

Probably the most common topic are probability questions of various kinds. Evaluating integrals seemed to be another common one. I was asked to derive the Black Scholes a couple of times. Then there were more esoteric questions like measures on a sphere and whether I could divide a plane with any number of points on it with any number of points on one side of the line.

Your best return for time invested would probably concentrating on probability, game theory and financial maths.

There are other countries other than the US, :smile:

Where did you end up, may I ask?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by curiousquest

Where did you end up, may I ask?

I left finance after 15 months, worked in engineering for 6. Did odd jobs mainly as a security guard and bouncer for a few years until I found out through a few chance events/friendships that medicine is really what I want to do. So I will start work as a healthcare assistant in the NHS in the next few weeks and am part way through an application cycle to graduate entry medicine.

I am one of those people who thinks life is too short to do something you hate and not to chase your dreams in life (especially when working pays so badly as it does nowadays). Therefore I won't be going back to maths or a corporate job (ever).
I left finance after 15 months, worked in engineering for 6. Did odd jobs mainly as a security guard and bouncer for a few years until I found out through a few chance events/friendships that medicine is really what I want to do. So I will start work as a healthcare assistant in the NHS in the next few weeks and am part way through an application cycle to graduate entry medicine.

I am one of those people who thinks life is too short to do something you hate and not to chase your dreams in life (especially when working pays so badly as it does nowadays). Therefore I won't be going back to maths or a corporate job (ever).

I am quite sad to hear that a person of your mathematical calibre is not in a profession which uses this skill or is not in a profession that rewards you for your intellect.

I know money is not everything and the richest guy in the world is not the cleverest and conversely the richest is not the cleverest but it ought to have some correlation.

Regardless (and I am sticking my neck out now), I would say you are not an ex-public schoolboy / don't have the contacts for finance. From my own experience, I have seen and worked with many mediocre candidates in top jobs (though never technical), being paid somewhere in the region of £0.25M a year, holding managerial positions. Admittedly to do one of those jobs, one need to have (not nice) people skills, :smile:

Whilst I don't want to put you off the medical profession, I also have friends, who at 18 wanted to save lives (and the world for that matter) only to be disillusioned after 5 years medical training and 70+ hour weeks working as a junior doctor.

Add to that, being a surgeon (as opposed to physician) has a lot to do with fitting in and unfortunately, politics plays a major part.

If you had sought advice before turning your back on finance, I would have suggested you try (finance) abroad. You may find the working conditions, including prospects, colleagues, work / life balance, would have suited you more.

Nevertheless, I wish you success in your chosen profession.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by curiousquest
I am quite sad to hear that a person of your mathematical calibre is not in a profession which uses this skill or is not in a profession that rewards you for your intellect.

I know money is not everything and the richest guy in the world is not the cleverest and conversely the richest is not the cleverest but it ought to have some correlation.

Regardless (and I am sticking my neck out now), I would say you are not an ex-public schoolboy / don't have the contacts for finance. From my own experience, I have seen and worked with many mediocre candidates in top jobs (though never technical), being paid somewhere in the region of £0.25M a year, holding managerial positions. Admittedly to do one of those jobs, one need to have (not nice) people skills, :smile:

Whilst I don't want to put you off the medical profession, I also have friends, who at 18 wanted to save lives (and the world for that matter) only to be disillusioned after 5 years medical training and 70+ hour weeks working as a junior doctor.

Add to that, being a surgeon (as opposed to physician) has a lot to do with fitting in and unfortunately, politics plays a major part.

If you had sought advice before turning your back on finance, I would have suggested you try (finance) abroad. You may find the working conditions, including prospects, colleagues, work / life balance, would have suited you more.

Nevertheless, I wish you success in your chosen profession.

Thanks, you are pretty astute in your summing up 😉.

Going abroad was something I considered but was unable to do given the financial situation of one of my parents (they divorced when I was in my teens) who was out of work and needed my support.

I was initially put off by what you describe about the medical profession until I dated a junior doctor for a while and saw that it was liveable with. I did also get a glimpse that politics and similar fitting in would be involved in becoming a surgeon, but to be honest I favour psychiatry or emergency medicine for a variety of reasons.

It might be a waste of some of my talents but unfortunately the world is as it is. Who knows, I haven't got in yet.

my brother had a former bb analyst in his medical year group at kcl, I hope it works out for you
Original post by Table dust
my brother had a former bb analyst in his medical year group at kcl, I hope it works out for you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending