The Student Room Group

Jane Street interview

Hey guys,

I applied to Jane Street Summer internship and I am gonna have my first interview soon but the problem is that I dont know what they are gonna ask me, know only that its gonna be maths questions :frown:. Can smb help me, pls????

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Unicole
Hey guys,

I applied to Jane Street Summer internship and I am gonna have my first interview soon but the problem is that I dont know what they are gonna ask me, know only that its gonna be maths questions :frown:. Can smb help me, pls????

Thanks in advance :smile:

Know why you want to do prop-trading, know the generic competencies of why their firm etc etc. They will also definitely ask a lot of maths/stats related questions calculating probabilities and so forth. + expect a lot of rounds.
Reply 2
Original post by TomasK
Know why you want to do prop-trading, know the generic competencies of why their firm etc etc. They will also definitely ask a lot of maths/stats related questions calculating probabilities and so forth. + expect a lot of rounds.

On the contrary. They couldn't care less why you want to do prop trading or why at Jane Street in particular. Focus on the maths questions. There is plenty info about this interview on this forum and on others.
Reply 3
Original post by salmon1
On the contrary. They couldn't care less why you want to do prop trading or why at Jane Street in particular. Focus on the maths questions. There is plenty info about this interview on this forum and on others.

Touche. I've heard that it's still useful to have some ideas at the back of your head, but yeah, predominantly loads of maths Qs.
Reply 4
Read up on them at Wall Street Oasis. Interview process is unique and sounds very hard.
Reply 5
I have a list of the majority of questions they have used in the past (as well as answers, but no guarantee they are all correct).

Moreover, be prepared to bet on your answers - more relevant after the 1st round, but you might get asked to come up with a confidence level for your answer and then be offered some amount of money at some odds and asked whether you would take that bet.
Reply 6
Why would you even go through the pain of applying there? Is it so much better than a BB?

Also although I understand the recruiting pattern in the UK (they just visit COWI as they are the best in maths) the one in the US doesnt make much sense to me. They go to some unheard of colleges rather than going to Stanford, Darmouth or UC Berkeley?
Reply 7
IIRC they say they target computer science PhDs from top programmes
Original post by Frenchous
Why would you even go through the pain of applying there? Is it so much better than a BB?

They still pay all cash bonuses without a deferred timescale.
Has anyone here had a 3rd round? Wondering what to expect.
Reply 10
Original post by Stoneroses100
Has anyone here had a 3rd round? Wondering what to expect.

Same as the first two rounds, just the problems are a little harder and they pressure you on time more.
What gets one to a Jane Street Interview or one of those elite quant firms?
Reply 12
My room mate literally just interviewed at JS, there was a heavy focus on probability/stats type questions. Oftentimes it was more so about your approach to the problem then getting to the right answer. I'd focus on practicing brainteasers.
Reply 13
Original post by okhib7t6r54d56rf
What gets one to a Jane Street Interview or one of those elite quant firms?

A grad degree in quant field from a good uni, with good grades and some nice extracurriculars
Can we talk please? Maybe a way to contact you please?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending