The Student Room Group

A Level Options

I'm looking to go into Medicine, or possibly biochemistry and the likes, and I'm a bit stuck for the A levels which I need to take.

I have looked at the universities, and the majority want biology, chemistry and maths or physics, + one other option.

I'm currently taking a Level 2 Further Maths Cert by AQA which covers the first part of the Maths A level, and I'm inclined to take Further Maths at A level.

This means that my first 3 options are
Biology
Chemistry
Maths and Further Maths

The last option is what I have most debate with. Initially I was thinking about Geography. It is still a facilitating subject and I enjoy it as well, and it'd provide me with a break from the sciences and maths. However now I am also considering physics. It is my favourite subject following the three which I have already chosen and I looked at the course and I'm very interested in it.

Would adding physics to the list above make it too much work and unrealistic?

Please help me decide!

Thank you,
Fiona
I've heard at lot of medical schools only count maths and further maths as one subject. You may want to look into this http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/files/Medical_Schools_entry_requirement_June_2011_1.1.pdf
If you scroll through in the comments section quite a few either don't count them as 2 subjects or would rather a wider range of subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I chose not to do further maths, as many medical schools say that they don't even count it and so it kind of feels like a waste of time/effort?
Original post by fionabu
I'm looking to go into Medicine, or possibly biochemistry and the likes, and I'm a bit stuck for the A levels which I need to take.

I have looked at the universities, and the majority want biology, chemistry and maths or physics, + one other option.

I'm currently taking a Level 2 Further Maths Cert by AQA which covers the first part of the Maths A level, and I'm inclined to take Further Maths at A level.

This means that my first 3 options are
Biology
Chemistry
Maths and Further Maths

The last option is what I have most debate with. Initially I was thinking about Geography. It is still a facilitating subject and I enjoy it as well, and it'd provide me with a break from the sciences and maths. However now I am also considering physics. It is my favourite subject following the three which I have already chosen and I looked at the course and I'm very interested in it.

Would adding physics to the list above make it too much work and unrealistic?

Please help me decide!

Thank you,
Fiona

Haha I did L2 AQA FM GCSE last year *high five*! :biggrin:
Your first 3 choices seem very good ( Biology, Chemistry, F/Maths)
I'm doing Chemistry, Maths, Physics and French
It sounds like you are very confident in your maths, this makes me think that you would be a very successful physicist as the only thing that sometimes lets me down is the maths! (It's not even hard it's just it takes me ages :wink: )
It really depends on what you think, I'm finding the workload large but definately do-able, French doesn't reduce my workload (it increases it due to speaking lessons) and I've friends who study Geography so I wouldn't pick it if you think this would be the case, you've got to pick A-Levels based on how interested you are and whether or not you are good at it as well.
Hope this helps, good luck :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest