The Student Room Group

Repeating year 12

I wanted to ask whether I should repeat year 12 or not. I started year 12 doing an extended diploma BTEC in Engineering as originally my mind was fixed on becoming an engineer. But after a few months of the BTEC I really have started to hate engineering and feel like it isn't the correct career choice for me. Now I have the option to switch to A-levels next academic year so I would be 17 when I start the A levels and I am thinking of doing A-level Biology,Chemistry and Maths.

Please Help is this a stupid choice, should I just stick to Engineering. And will repeating the year with different subjects affect or discourage me getting into University. I spoke with Newcastle Uni on the phone, which is local and they said if you repeat year 12 with different subjects then it won't discourage you for any of the courses. Is this the same for all Universities?

Also, if i switch to the A-levels Maths,Chemistry and Biology what are my career options with them. I was thinking Dentistry or Medicine but they are extremely competitive and hard to get into so I am worried that I won't get the space. I know salary shoudn't be what I look at but whatever job I do I hope to earn a decent comfortable salary.

Please Help Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by zak.sa1
I wanted to ask whether I should repeat year 12 or not. I started year 12 doing an extended diploma BTEC in Engineering as originally my mind was fixed on becoming an engineer. But after a few months of the BTEC I really have started to hate engineering and feel like it isn't the correct career choice for me. Now I have the option to switch to A-levels next academic year so I would be 17 when I start the A levels and I am thinking of doing A-level Biology,Chemistry and Maths.

Please Help is this a stupid choice, should I just stick to Engineering. And will repeating the year with different subjects affect or discourage me getting into University. I spoke with Newcastle Uni on the phone, which is local and they said if you repeat year 12 with different subjects then it won't discourage you for any of the courses. Is this the same for all Universities?

Also, if i switch to the A-levels Maths,Chemistry and Biology what are my career options with them. I was thinking Dentistry or Medicine but they are extremely competitive and hard to get into so I am worried that I won't get the space. I know salary shoudn't be what I look at but whatever job I do I hope to earn a decent comfortable salary.

Please Help Thanks

Well with that maths and chem a-level you would definitely still be able to do engineering just Incase you go back to your original choice. I would say if you had the chance to pick the a-levels as it just gives you a better shot in life plus with a Btec you can’t go into medicine straight away if you decide to do that.
For most universities the courses are the same and they won’t need anything specific like an engineering a-level/Btec just maths is what is in common.
If you do decide to switch to those a levels then your career options would mostly be surrounding stem jobs which are also high paying such as becoming a chemist, pharmacist, chemical engineer, materials scientist, research scientist, data analyst, or even pursuing a career in finance or actuarial science.
If your heart is set on medicine you can always take a foundation year if it become to competitive.

Hope this helps xx
Reply 2
Thank you Bethany that really helped. I did feel like the A-levels were the better option but I just wanted to clarify that. But do you know whether repeating the year with different subjects so i would be 19 finsihing A -levels affects me getting into university. Or is it the same as a gap year. I dont want to end up doing the A levels next year but get declined into University as a result. Is this the case?
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by zak.sa1
Thank you Bethany that really helped. I did feel like the A-levels were the better option but I just wanted to clarify that. But do you know whether repeating the year with different subjects so i would be 19 finsihing A -levels affects me getting into university. Or is it the same as a gap year. I dont want to end up doing the A levels next year but get declined into University as a result. Is this the case?

Repeating year 12 won't make any difference to your uni application so if A levels are a better option for you, then go for it. :smile:

In the meantime, start researching possible careers and attend uni open days and go to some course talks to see what might interest you. You could consider a natural sciences degree, environmental science, biomedical science, marine biology, orthoptics, radiotherapy, etc., etc. Some useful links:

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/

https://www.england.nhs.uk/ahp/role/
Reply 4
Original post by zak.sa1

No when going to university you can be any age as long as your over 18 so it’s basically the same as you taking a gap year then going to uni

Quick Reply

Latest