The Student Room Group

Computer Science

I'm facing a challenging situation and could really use your assistance. I'm currently 22 years old and hold three GCSE qualifications, with a grade 4 in math, and grade 5 in both English language and literature. My aspiration is to pursue a computer science degree at university; however, my current qualifications are inadequate. I have two potential options to address this issue.

Option 1 involves returning to college to obtain two additional GCSE qualifications. Following that, I plan to pursue three A-levels, which will likely take approximately three years to complete. If I choose this path, I anticipate completing my studies and obtaining the necessary qualifications by the age of 25. My goal is to apply to Brunel University for their computer science program.

Option 2 is an alternative route known as Access to Higher Education (HE) in IT. This option requires enrolling in a one-year course focused on IT, which is specifically designed to prepare individuals for higher education. The estimated cost for this course is around £3,500. After completing the Access to HE course, I can directly apply to Brunel University for their computer science program.

I would greatly appreciate your help in making a decision regarding these options. Brunel University is my preferred institution, and I am seeking guidance to determine the best path forward.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.
So in the one hand, you have a delayed education oppurtunity. In the other, you have to pay a load of money.

My advice, list down ALL the pros and then ALL the cons of each option. Be detailed about them. Then try to rate them from 1-10 on how much they align with our personal goals. 1 being definitely not and 10 being hell ya! It will give you a chance to see what your options are and think more clearly about them. You might also discover new pro and cons while you're writing them down.
The next step is pretty simple: compare your results. If one list has more cons and less pros than the other, go for the other. If one list has an equal amount of pros (or cons) with the other, then consider the weight of those pros (or cons) instead with the number value you assigned to them. Same thing for if they have the same number of pros or cons.

If you don't want to do that, then just go for whichever is the cheaper option. It seems that both your paths are quite doable, seeing as they both lead you to where you want to be, so it's just a matter of going for the one that won't put you in debt.

All the best!
P.S check out weekly wins and woes in the mental health section for more advice:hello:
Reply 2
Original post by PiltoverQueen
So in the one hand, you have a delayed education oppurtunity. In the other, you have to pay a load of money.

My advice, list down ALL the pros and then ALL the cons of each option. Be detailed about them. Then try to rate them from 1-10 on how much they align with our personal goals. 1 being definitely not and 10 being hell ya! It will give you a chance to see what your options are and think more clearly about them. You might also discover new pro and cons while you're writing them down.
The next step is pretty simple: compare your results. If one list has more cons and less pros than the other, go for the other. If one list has an equal amount of pros (or cons) with the other, then consider the weight of those pros (or cons) instead with the number value you assigned to them. Same thing for if they have the same number of pros or cons.

If you don't want to do that, then just go for whichever is the cheaper option. It seems that both your paths are quite doable, seeing as they both lead you to where you want to be, so it's just a matter of going for the one that won't put you in debt.

All the best!
P.S check out weekly wins and woes in the mental health section for more advice:hello:

Option 1: Pursuing A Levels
One option is to enrol in three A Level courses, which would take approximately two years to complete. The cost for exams alone would be around £450, excluding study materials and tuition fees. If I choose this route, my goal would be to achieve grades of AAB, ABB, or BBB.

Pros:

A Levels provide more options: They are widely recognised by universities, allowing me to choose from a wider range of institutions. I wouldn't have to worry about whether they accept Access to HE qualifications or not.
Flexibility: A Levels offer the flexibility to switch to a different field of study if I change my mind about computer science.
Cons:

Longer duration: The two-year timeframe for completing A Levels means a longer commitment before starting my university education.
Independent studying: Since I would be too old to attend classes with teenagers, I would have to study mostly on my own. Private tutoring would be necessary, which can range from £25 to £70 per hour.

Option 2: Access course in IT/Computing
Another option is to undertake an Access course in IT/Computing, which typically takes between six months and a year to complete. The cost for an Access to HE course can range from £1200 to £4000, depending on the college or provider. If I successfully complete the course with 23 Distinctions and 22 Merits, I would be eligible to enter university the following year.

Pros:

Shorter duration: The Access course would allow me to start my university education sooner, as it takes less time to complete.
Early exposure: The course would provide me with an early introduction to the field of computer science, helping me determine if it's the right path for me.
Emphasis on coursework: Access courses often focus more on coursework rather than exams, which may suit my learning preferences.
Cons:

Higher cost: The expense of an Access course can be significantly higher compared to A Levels, with fees ranging from £1200 to £4000.
Time limitation: The Access to HE qualification expires after five years. If I don't commence my university studies within that timeframe, I would need to consider alternative options.
Good job with the pros and cons breakdown.
As for the time limitation, do you see any reason why you would not be able to pursue Uni immediately after your course? If not, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Seems the only thing you have left to consider are costs.
That one seems simple. Try calculating the overall maximum total costs of both options and compare them. Then go for the cheaper one. Both options seem to have really good pros to consider about them but I think the goal here is to allow you to start a career debt free!
Reply 4
Good job with the pros and cons breakdown.
As for the time limitation, do you see any reason why you would not be able to pursue Uni immediately after your course? If not, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Seems the only thing you have left to consider are costs.
That one seems simple. Try calculating the overall maximum total costs of both options and compare them. Then go for the cheaper one. Both options seem to have really good pros to consider about them but I think the goal here is to allow you to start a career debt free!

I might not complete my studies due to unexpected personal circumstances or if work becomes overwhelming.

For costs, each A Level exam carries a price tag of £150, and there is an additional £650 for the practical exam, amounting to a total of £1,100 so far. Not sure how much im going to spend for books and private tuition over the next two years. Doing some research i can get an A level Maths tutor at 25 quid an hour. I could booking in 1/2 sessions a month.

On the other hand, the Access course ranges from £1,200 to £4,000. Just thinking about paying up to four grand is unattractive considering my other responsibilities being 22 and all. Despite these financial concerns, I find myself leaning towards option 1. Nevertheless, I am a bit fearful about returning to education after a five-year gap, particularly in regards to A Level Math. Any help on that loL.
Ok...
So, let's consider the total costs of option 1 because option 2 is insane!
1. How many theory exams will you be doing?
2. Find the price of the total theory exams
3. How many practical exams will you be doing?
4. Find the price of the total practical exams exams
5. What is the most amount you are willing to spend on books?
6. Do you really need to pay private tuition (can't you just homeschool?) (does private tuition mean you'll be learning at the school or you'll just have access to the content but don't need to attend the physical classes?)
7. If no (you really do need to pay private tuition), find out the least it could cost over the next two years.
8. If yes (you don't really need to pay private tuition, you can homeschool and access the courses' syllabusses online), find out the most amount of hours you would need tutoring daily
9. Find out the least good tutor could cost. (check out edumentors. They will help you if you explain your circumstances and low budget)
10. Add all that together.
11. let me know what you come up with.

(lol. I just gave you an algorithm, sorta. this should be easy to follow)
Hi,

It's great you are thinking of completing a computer science degree and really good that you have completed a pros and cons list for both options. It may also be worth contacting Brunel and finding out if they have a mature offer entry scheme. So at York St John University, we have a mature offer entry scheme where if you have been out of education for more than three years and have a grade C in English Language you are eligible for the entry scheme.

Otherwise I would probably say go for option 1. As you've said A Levels are looked upon favourably and will probably give you more options

Good luck with things

Rebecca YSJ Student Ambassador
Reply 7
Ok...
So, let's consider the total costs of option 1 because option 2 is insane!
1. How many theory exams will you be doing?
2. Find the price of the total theory exams
3. How many practical exams will you be doing?
4. Find the price of the total practical exams exams
5. What is the most amount you are willing to spend on books?
6. Do you really need to pay private tuition (can't you just homeschool?) (does private tuition mean you'll be learning at the school or you'll just have access to the content but don't need to attend the physical classes?)
7. If no (you really do need to pay private tuition), find out the least it could cost over the next two years.
8. If yes (you don't really need to pay private tuition, you can homeschool and access the courses' syllabusses online), find out the most amount of hours you would need tutoring daily
9. Find out the least good tutor could cost. (check out edumentors. They will help you if you explain your circumstances and low budget)
10. Add all that together.
11. let me know what you come up with.

(lol. I just gave you an algorithm, sorta. this should be easy to follow)

I just had another conversation with the exam officer, and here's what I got.

For the A Level exams, the costs have been clarified. The Maths exam will cost £270, Business will cost £250, Religious Studies (thinking of doing) will also cost £250, and the Physics exam will cost £250. Additionally, there is a practical exam for Physics, additional cost of £750. However, I don't have to pay for the exams this year; I can pay for them in the year I plan to sit the exams, so that would be 24/25 academic year.

All subjects have three papers, including Maths, Business, Religious Studies, and Physics. It's important to note that the practical exam for Physics cannot be conducted at my college, so I will need to go to a separate center in Birmingham for that. The exam officer mentioned that some universities may not require the practical exam, so I should check the specific requirements of the universities I am interested in.

Physics paper breakdown:

A Level Paper 1 (7408/1): 34%
A Level Paper 2 (7408/2): 34%
A Level Paper 3 (7408/3): 32%

There will be practical work in Physics, which involves performing 12 assessed laboratory exercises throughout the year. These exercises aim to enhance my understanding of physics in various scenarios and develop my experimental skills, enabling me to conduct my own investigations. The practical work is now internally assessed.

Considering all this information, here's the revised breakdown of the costs for the A Level exams.

Mathematics: £270
Business: £250
Religious Studies: £250
Physics (including practical): £1,000

All papers included ^^
Reply 8
Original post by Rebecca YSJ
Hi,

It's great you are thinking of completing a computer science degree and really good that you have completed a pros and cons list for both options. It may also be worth contacting Brunel and finding out if they have a mature offer entry scheme. So at York St John University, we have a mature offer entry scheme where if you have been out of education for more than three years and have a grade C in English Language you are eligible for the entry scheme.

Otherwise I would probably say go for option 1. As you've said A Levels are looked upon favourably and will probably give you more options

Good luck with things

Rebecca YSJ Student Ambassador

Hi Rebecca,

The Mature student scheme is a brilliant idea I hadn't thought of that. Thank you. Unfortunately, York St Johns university is outside my radius, i'm only looking at universities in London. I will speak with Brunel's admissions team when I get back from work. CHEERS
Original post by Rashid0101
Hi Rebecca,

The Mature student scheme is a brilliant idea I hadn't thought of that. Thank you. Unfortunately, York St Johns university is outside my radius, i'm only looking at universities in London. I will speak with Brunel's admissions team when I get back from work. CHEERS

Hi

No worries. Good luck with things
Hey dude. How's your decision making going?
Reply 11
Hey dude. How's your decision making going?

Hey Queen*, I think were making progress. I am going with option one. I will use the next few days deciding what A levels I want to take next year. Im thinking Business, Sociology, Religious studies or Economics and either between Maths or Physics. Business guaranteed. I will use 23/24 academic year studying, doing past papers and lots of 1 to 1s with tutors.
Sound like a plan:yy:
Best of luck!
Reply 13
Sound like a plan:yy:
Best of luck!

Cheers 🍻

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending