The Student Room Group

What Alevels should I choose?

I don’t know what job I want to want to keep my options open so far i’m thinking of choosing:
-Maths
-Business
- Enrichment (either AS psychology or student support)
- Another Alevel

But i’m not sure what my last option should be i’m thinking law, psychology or biology. I’m not sure about doing biology as it’s a lot of content and one of the hardest subjects but also apparently it’s one of the better ones as psychology and law are seen as soft a levels and so not sure if unis will look down on them.

I have to choose my options by 10am tomorrow and can’t change them after this so if anyone has any ideas of what the best options are please tell me im thinking if i do law i may do AS psychology as-well but if I do psychology I’ll do student support. Not sure what to do will biology. Thanks!!!
Original post by Kelly0121
I don’t know what job I want to want to keep my options open so far i’m thinking of choosing:
-Maths
-Business
- Another Alevel

But i’m not sure what my last option should be i’m thinking law, psychology or biology. I’m not sure about doing biology as it’s a lot of content and one of the hardest subjects but also apparently it’s one of the better ones as psychology and law are seen as soft a levels and so not sure if unis will look down on them.

I have to choose my options by 10am tomorrow and can’t change them after this so if anyone has any ideas of what the best options are please tell me im thinking if i do law i may do AS psychology as-well but if I do psychology I’ll do student support. Not sure what to do will biology. Thanks!!!

Hi there,

I am a third year Mathematics and Statistics student at Lancaster University. Do you want to pursue any of these at degree level or is there a specific job you want in future?

If you are wanting to pursue a maths degree or similar I would suggest looking into further maths. But given the options there I think psychology could be useful as it is a more essay based subject which demonstrates different skills than the other subjects. I never studied law or biology so I can't really comment on them.

Regardless don't stress too much, I did maths, further maths, psychology and geography at A-Level just because I liked them all and it worked out okay. At the end of the day enjoying them should be your top priority.

Please feel free to ask me any questions.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:
Reply 2
-Maths
-Business
- Another Alevel

There are NO soft A levels - are you thinking about going to uni?
Reply 3
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi there,

I am a third year Mathematics and Statistics student at Lancaster University. Do you want to pursue any of these at degree level or is there a specific job you want in future?

If you are wanting to pursue a maths degree or similar I would suggest looking into further maths. But given the options there I think psychology could be useful as it is a more essay based subject which demonstrates different skills than the other subjects. I never studied law or biology so I can't really comment on them.

Regardless don't stress too much, I did maths, further maths, psychology and geography at A-Level just because I liked them all and it worked out okay. At the end of the day enjoying them should be your top priority.

Please feel free to ask me any questions.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:

Hey thanks Amy i’ve honestly got no clue what I want to do at uni or for a job my ideas keep changing. I may go into something maths based however I don’t think i’ll do to well at further maths so wasn’t planning on studying that. I was thinking i may need a essay based subject but didn’t want to go for anything like english or history but again both law and psychology are essay based so not sure what is better, i think psychology may widen options as it’s a social science so different from my other options. Thanks.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
There are NO soft A levels - are you thinking about going to uni?

Yes i think i’ll go uni but no idea what I want to study nor what I want as a job so want to keep options open so maybe psychology or law is better as they are essay based.
Reply 5
Yes i think i’ll go uni but no idea what I want to study nor what I want as a job so want to keep options open so maybe psychology or law is better as they are essay based.

https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer

Try different combinations to see where they could lead

Quick Reply

Latest