The Student Room Group

No idea what to do after A-level's [3 options]

I feel lost in what I'm supposed to do with my life, I have no passion and just picked my subject choice cause it seemed semi interesting & not because I wanted a career in it.
I was predicted AAB, dealt with heavy depression and chronic health issues, didn't revise enough [completely my fault] & ended up with CDE, but my insurance grade still accepted me [It was ~CCC, it wasn't unconditional].

I have 3 options on what to do:
1) take up my insurance university & study a subject I don't particularly want a career in. As it's a subject for a kind of competitive career, I feel like my A-level results will screw me over in the long run, especially as I'd need at least a Masters degree to even get anywhere.
2) try going through clearing and taking up a foundation course in a subject I think I'd be more interested in a career in. However, it has the same A-level problem as option 1 & requires ~2 hours public transport one way to get to those universities [~4 hours travel daily].
3) resitting A-levels to hopefully get a better grade & then applying for university in 2024. However, it's more costly & my old school doesn't offer it [so I'd most likely have to do it digitally].I think I'd be able to do a better job this time as
I've managed to get accepted for therapy [referrals take time & my parents wouldn't spend money] and am trying to get prescriptions [my parents wouldn't allow any] to deal with my health issues.

I just don't know what I'm supposed to do.
Original post by Mike123412341
I feel lost in what I'm supposed to do with my life, I have no passion and just picked my subject choice cause it seemed semi interesting & not because I wanted a career in it.
I was predicted AAB, dealt with heavy depression and chronic health issues, didn't revise enough [completely my fault] & ended up with CDE, but my insurance grade still accepted me [It was ~CCC, it wasn't unconditional].

1) take up my insurance university & study a subject I don't particularly want a career in. As it's a subject for a kind of competitive career, I feel like my A-level results will screw me over in the long run, especially as I'd need at least a Masters degree to even get anywhere.
2) try going through clearing and taking up a foundation course in a subject I think I'd be more interested in a career in. However, it has the same A-level problem as option 1 & requires ~2 hours public transport one way to get to those universities [~4 hours travel daily].
3) resitting A-levels to hopefully get a better grade & then applying for university in 2024. However, it's more costly & my old school doesn't offer it [so I'd most likely have to do it digitally].I think I'd be able to do a better job this time as
I've managed to get accepted for therapy [referrals take time & my parents wouldn't spend money] and am trying to get prescriptions [my parents wouldn't allow any] to deal with my health issues.

Hi @Mike123412341Firstly, congratulations on your results, even if it wasn't what you hoped for you still have three A levels and done well :smile:

I think you've done the first bit of breaking up your options. Now you need to have a think of what is right for you.

I don't think your A level results will 'screw you over' at all, remember going off to University and studying for a degree is completely different to studying A levels, so don't let that put you off.

My advise is to do some research and find options that suit you through clearing :smile:

Hope this helps, good luck :smile:

Sera

Hi there :hugs:

Do you mind sharing the subject/career?
You've definitely got lots of options and it sounds like it has been a tricky time for you :cube:

There are definitely ways you can go forth and progress your career but also it might be good to consider what is best for you right now + how you want to use that time.
Everyone does life/career/uni differently, there is no one path + so please don't worry about that.

Sending big hugs :smile:
Cheese
Reply 3
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Hi there :hugs:

Do you mind sharing the subject/career?
You've definitely got lots of options and it sounds like it has been a tricky time for you :cube:

There are definitely ways you can go forth and progress your career but also it might be good to consider what is best for you right now + how you want to use that time.
Everyone does life/career/uni differently, there is no one path + so please don't worry about that.

Sending big hugs :smile:
Cheese

The subject I'd want to do is Computer Science [I took it for GCSE, but couldn't for A level as non of the schools in my area offered it, but I've done small coding projects in my own time as a hobby]

Thank you for the encouragement <3
(edited 8 months ago)
The subject I'd want to do is Computer Science [I took it for GCSE, but couldn't for A level as non of the schools in my area offered it, but I've done small coding projects in my own time as a hobby]

Thank you for the encouragement <3

Oh that's awesome.

Honestly I don't feel like you need super duper A levels or a master's to progress in the area of CompSci but that's just my opinion (I don't know much about the field).

I reckon, sleep on it and figure out which option you are leaning towards. Chat to friends, family and maybe your parents (do remember it's your life and your decision though!). Take some time and don't rush, no pressure to do anything at all, you have time.

TSR Advisors are still going to be about if you did want any further help/advice, feel free to reach out :smile:

Have a fab evening,
Cheese

Hey @Mike123412341 :smile:

Firstly, just wanted to say congratulations on the grades and offer!

It's great that you're looking for advice and guidance and going through your options during a time that seems uncertain and challenging, everyone feels lost at some stage in their life so you're not alone in your feelings.

Many skills learned in the degree course could be transferable to other careers, not everyone ends up in a career directly related to their degree. If you did choose this option you could look into internships, part-time jobs, other activities on the side that align with your interests outside your degree.

Foundation courses can be a good way to transition into a subject you're a lot more interested in, but like you said the daily commute could impact your well-being and it could also impact the time you have to focus on your studies. Resitting your A-Levels is a valid option, but again you need to take time to consider the things you mentioned like the cost, studying digitally etc.

Also, really glad to hear that you're going to be starting therapy, it just shows how strong of a person you are, and I know you'll take this strength into your educational journey as well. You'll figure it out, some things take time, you don't want to rush into a decision and regret it, it's good that you're talking about it and exploring all your options. Other options could be discussing your options and what you want to do as a career with an academic advisor and just gaining a new perspective, think about a gap year to focus on yourself, gain work experience, explore all your interests.. It's your decision and only yours, so just believe in yourself that you'll make the right one for you :smile:

Best of luck!

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest