The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE or Oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beam314159
LSE is unconditional, Oxford I'm not actually sure (the email just said "we will give you an offer)

What specifically should I consider/research when deciding between the two universities?

Just saw your SAT And AP results which explains why you are unconditional. Excellent results. I thought the conditions would make the decision for you but that is not the case.

Your probably have applied to Ivy league schools and I expect you will get offers based on those results. So your problem is going to get bigger. You have plenty of time and probably need to get advice from someone with experience e.g High School teacher.

If you want to study Economics LSE is the place to go. You should be able to transfer to straight economics after Year 1 , you will need a first ( percentage > 75%) best to check with LSE.

Please note the Math is a at higher level then SAT II. I sat SAT II (Math II -750 and CHEM -800 ) and I am finding the Math challenging but OK. Heavy emphasis on Calculus.

Also note with the tier 4 visa you can work in London and can apply for Investment Bank internships during the Summer and Spring Break.
Both LSE and Oxford students are highly sought after.

If you want to complete a Masters or Higher Oxford would be the place.There is a lot to consider . Good Luck
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Well what exactly do Oxford PPE grads do for a career? For the LSE the path is quite clear...

Also, how does one go from ppe to grad school in econ? They seem to have very little math

Look up Ed Miliband. He made the transition.
The real question or crux of the matter may simply be just this ------

Are you ready to pass up the chance to go to Oxford to read its most famous course?

If not, all the other considerations are just that.
What does your gut tell you? I would say, visit both again and discuss it with students.

Oxford PPE is an incredible degree that is intellectually wide ranging. I think that LSE is more focused on econ, less on politics. It depends on what you want.

At any rate, congrats. YOu must be an exceptional student.
Reply 24
Original post by alcibiade
What does your gut tell you? I would say, visit both again and discuss it with students.

Oxford PPE is an incredible degree that is intellectually wide ranging. I think that LSE is more focused on econ, less on politics. It depends on what you want.

At any rate, congrats. YOu must be an exceptional student.

OP has an offer for Philosophy and Economics at LSE, not Politics.
Original post by h3110
OP has an offer for Philosophy and Economics at LSE, not Politics.

Uh, yeah, I did notice that. It's why I wrote that - it depends on what the OP wants.
Reply 26
Original post by alcibiade
Uh, yeah, I did notice that. It's why I wrote that - it depends on what the OP wants.

Sorry I was just confused as to why you wrote "I think that LSE is more focused on econ, less on politics." when OP has applied to Phil + Econ there.
OP is bluffing
Please note LSE will visit North America in Feb 2016 in DC and NYC.
You can ask specific questions at the end of the session.
They discuss Masters course as well.

I expect Oxford will make similar visits.

Location details below.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/meetLSE/LSEVisitsYou/LSEVisitsNorthAmerica.aspx
Original post by Jazzy Foot
OP is bluffing

He's just bragging.
Original post by GandalfWhite
He's just bragging.

We all know he'll pick Oxford.

Only a fool would put themselves through the Oxbridge admissions process to turn them down for the LSE.

I wanted to say a lesser university which technically LSE is of sorts even though I consider it an elite, world-class institution.

Oxbridge just has that....you know....the bragging rights (as you rightly pointed out).
We all know he'll pick Oxford.

Only a fool would put themselves through the Oxbridge admissions process to turn them down for the LSE.

I wanted to say a lesser university which technically LSE is of sorts even though I consider it an elite, world-class institution.

Oxbridge just has that....you know....the bragging rights (as you rightly pointed out).

I suppose OP need to be honest with ownself and with others in TSR. Nevertheless, we are happy for OP and congratulate OP for gaining offers from Oxford and LSE.
Oxford PPE vs PhilEcon at LSE
I have an offer from both, what are the relevant considerations?

Hey, what did you finally end up deciding on?
You need to understand what you are looking for. Of all the various answers here, you get assumptions about what is best for you - name recognition, the experience, etc. Are any of them relevant to you and what you want?

At Oxford, you'd get the tutorial style of teaching, very intense but also not for everyone. LSE is more lecture style, it lacks the intimacy of membership in the separate colleges. Both are great for jobs, but what kind of job do you want? (Academic, finance industry, etc.)

I would suggest going to visit both, talk to students and sort out what you want. Trust your gut feeling.
This is an old post.

IMO it's a no brainer. To get into Oxford is a far more rigorous admissions process than the LSE, the perks of being an Oxford student are far greater than LSE. LSE is great, it's world-class and it certainly won't hinder your job prospects but Oxford is Oxford. There's a reason why Oxford and Cambridge are feted as the two greatest universities in the country and two of the best in the world. They are global brand names that have been at the forefront of academia and research etc for years and some much so you only need to say the word "Oxford" or "Cambridge" and people instantly know what you are talking about and are aware of its prestige. Unless it were for say an Ivy School on a full scholarship or MIT/Stanford, you don't decline Oxbridge, you just don't.
This is an old post.

IMO it's a no brainer. To get into Oxford is a far more rigorous admissions process than the LSE, the perks of being an Oxford student are far greater than LSE. LSE is great, it's world-class and it certainly won't hinder your job prospects but Oxford is Oxford. There's a reason why Oxford and Cambridge are feted as the two greatest universities in the country and two of the best in the world. They are global brand names that have been at the forefront of academia and research etc for years and some much so you only need to say the word "Oxford" or "Cambridge" and people instantly know what you are talking about and are aware of its prestige. Unless it were for say an Ivy School on a full scholarship or MIT/Stanford, you don't decline Oxbridge, you just don't.

..Yeah I was just wondering where the thread-starter finally ended up going, so
Oxford
Original post by Reaver Daniels
Oxford you cretin.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Then why the dilemma bleh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending