The Student Room Group

Council take houses earmarked for immigrants & give them to British flood victims

Common sense at last, Council who said they would take immigrants & give them housing have changed their mind & will now give the houses to British flood victims instead- http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/636903/Migrant-homes-flood-victims-Council-common-sense-council-cumbria-refugees

Should Brits be entitled to social housing before immigrants/refugees? https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/107787

Scroll to see replies

Completely the right thing to do.

As a country our moral obligation is to the people of this country above all else
Finally a step in the right direction. We should not be housing any migrants.
I don't think there is any 'common sense' in that. What happens to these immigrants (?)

Humanity - what a piece of BS after all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good. Brits should always come before immigrants.
Original post by Leukocyte
I don't think there is any 'common sense' in that. What happens to these immigrants (?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree. We shouldn't be providing resources to our own in times of need. We should be giving them instead to random Albanians blokes pretending to be Syrian and also actual Syrian blokes who left their wives and children behind in a warzone

Posted from TSR Mobile

They can stay wherever they are. Why should our own citizens be left homeless when there are houses for the taking?
Reply 7

Posted from TSR Mobile

“To date, all the refugees that have come to the UK have been successfully allocated to other parts of the country.

The joys of living in a wealthy country. We can house both our own populace, whilst making other arrangements for those we have agreed to take.
Original post by KimKallstrom
I agree. We shouldn't be providing resources to our own in times of need. We should be giving them instead to random Albanians blokes pretending to be Syrian and also actual Syrian blokes who left their wives and children behind in a warzone

It's not nice just to target one specific group. It's not good to make weak assumptions about immigrants if you don't know the facts. The Syrians have left the country for a reason or has that not crossed your mind?

Original post by MildredMalone
They can stay wherever they are. Why should our own citizens be left homeless when there are houses for the taking?

Wherever they are (?)
I'm sorry but why should the immigrants be left homeless? They're humans also and the fact that all the above posts mention "our citizens". Funny thing is these immigrants will eventually become citizens lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sorry but why should the immigrants be left homeless? They're humans also and the fact that all the above posts mention "our citizens". Funny thing is these immigrants will eventually become citizens lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why should the flood victims be left homeless? And why should it matter to us if people on the other side of the world have a home or not?
Original post by MildredMalone
Why should the flood victims be left homeless? And why should it matter to us if people on the other side of the world have a home or not?

They can stay wherever they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
They can stay wherever they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So can the migrants.
Hey kids, here's a thought:

How about we just build enough houses for EVERYONE?

"What are you, some kind of communist?"
Original post by scrotgrot
Hey kids, here's a thought:

How about we just build enough houses for EVERYONE?

"What are you, some kind of communist?"

Sadly it's not that easy, cheap or quick to do. We leave in one of the most grossly overpopulated countries in the world, which I think is crux of many people's (myself included) problem with immigration or refugees or asylum seekers or whatever the current label is. Yes there is space in the countryside but a) the decline of the countryside in Britain is a tragedy in itself and b) migrants tend not to come here to go and live in the Yorkshire dales or the Peak District they want to live in the big city areas where they have their own communities i.e. Manchester, Birmingham, London etc.
It's not nice just to target one specific group. It's not good to make weak assumptions about immigrants if you don't know the facts. The Syrians have left the country for a reason or has that not crossed your mind?

Wherever they are (?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why should OUR own citizens be homeless ? Charity starts at home FFS
Reply 15

Sure they have but how does that justify them trying to force themselves into Britain?

If they had left their country purely out of fear for their safety, then surely they would have stopped in one of the countless safe countries before they reach Britian? There is clearly also economic reasons behind this.

Wherever they are (?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

We have homeless in this country too, if we reach a point where our homeless population is 0% and we have homes going spare then fair point. But at the moment you are justifying leaving British people homeless to justify homing people from the other side of the world.

Unfortuantley there is and will continue to be conflicts like this all over the world, you cannot just pick up and move the civilian population to a select group of countries every time this happens. We would have evacuated the civilian population of like 10+ countries in the last 10 years alone.
The flood victims need to toughen up. I think it's highly irresponsible and outright disgusting to give the safe houses that were designated for immigrants to flood "victims". The flood victims have family, friends and the resources to find somewhere else to live temporarily like a B2B or a hotel. This move is too rash.
Original post by sparky3212
Sadly it's not that easy, cheap or quick to do. We leave in one of the most grossly overpopulated countries in the world, which I think is crux of many people's (myself included) problem with immigration or refugees or asylum seekers or whatever the current label is. Yes there is space in the countryside but a) the decline of the countryside in Britain is a tragedy in itself and b) migrants tend not to come here to go and live in the Yorkshire dales or the Peak District they want to live in the big city areas where they have their own communities i.e. Manchester, Birmingham, London etc.

How is Britain overpopulated? :lolwut:
Original post by Danny McCoyne
The flood victims need to toughen up. I think it's highly irresponsible and outright disgusting to give the safe houses that were designated for immigrants to flood "victims". The flood victims have family, friends and the resources to find somewhere else to live temporarily like a B2B or a hotel. This move is too rash.

Immigrants who aren't even in this country should have priority over those who have lost there homes in the UK through no fault of their own

No wonder people are getting more and more angry over the migrant issue
Original post by Danny McCoyne

"Victims of police shooting should toughen up."

See the similarity? Or do you only care about people that are affected by issues you care about?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending