The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yes; you'd normally just call it ethylbenzene though.
Reply 2
MadNatSci
Yes; you'd normally just call it ethylbenzene though.

thanks, when would you use the word phenyl usually?
Reply 3
Hmm, that's tricky now I think about it... I usually use instinct! I'd normally use phenyl when the attached group was quite large, say phenylethanoate - not that that's especially huge but I guess it just sounds better. There's nothing wrong with phenylethane, so far as I know; it's just the convention is that if the substituent group is an alkane you say ~ylbenzene.
Reply 4
MadNatSci
Hmm, that's tricky now I think about it... I usually use instinct! I'd normally use phenyl when the attached group was quite large, say phenylethanoate - not that that's especially huge but I guess it just sounds better. There's nothing wrong with phenylethane, so far as I know; it's just the convention is that if the substituent group is an alkane you say ~ylbenzene.

thanks alot.. i really appreciate your help
Reply 5
but for something like phenylamine you would use phenyl, not call it benzeneamine or something like that.
Reply 6
It really is just a case of knowing it.
~ylbenzene
phenylamine
benzoic acid
chlorobenzene

trichlorophenol / tribromophenol, etc. (however that's a variation on phenol, not benzene)

There aren't that many that come up in A-level Chemistry, though
Reply 7
T.r.i.n.i.t.y
thanks, when would you use the word phenyl usually?

Phenyl- refers to a molecule that has the benzene ring as a side chain. The molecule displays properties that are not very benzene-like.

Phenylethane is not usually called ethylbenzene because the molecule behaves more like ethane than benzene.

Latest

Trending

Trending