6a) sqrt(3gl/2)
    b) Shown
    7a) SHM Proved Period 2pi/5
    b) 4 ms-1
    c) 0.483 s
    d) SHM Proved Omega=sqrt(125/8)
    e) 0.632 m
    (Original post by Insight314)
    Agree. I think I got 100 UMS but what about missing the units in question 2?
    How do you remember all these answers!!?
    Looks like I may have got full marks, or maybe dropped 1 or so.
    Does full marks guarantee 100 UMS? If most people get 75/75 do they all get 100ums?

I am feeling pretty awesome atm, I am basically guaranteed an A in further maths and if I get 100UMS in this m3 then I can afford to get 79 or 80 in FP2 for an A*!

ReputationRep:
    You should be fine. If the A boundary is even it will 74 for 100ums. So many 100ums people! Then agian this is tsr.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How did you guys prove the second SHM?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DesignPredator)
    My answers are

1a) 1/3 N
    b) 7 s
    2 3cm
    3a) 3.57m
    b) 24 ms-2
    4a) Shown
    b) 18.4
    5 Shown
    6a) sqrt(3gl/2)
    b) Shown
    7a) SHM Proved Period 2pi/5
    b) 4 ms-1
    c) 0.483 s
    d) SHM Proved Omega=sqrt(125/8)
    e) 0.632 m
    Got all the same answers apart from the question about period for circular motion because I didn't do it. (the 4 mark one)

A few things:

for 3b) did you need the answer from part a? I got 24ms^-2 but dont remember what answer to part a was

For question 6b) My method was correct but I got this as my last equation

g(l-x) = u^2 - g(l-x)

where x = AB and u = part a answer

It was suppose to be

g(l-x) = u^2 - 2g(l-x)

so my answer was l/4 for minimum value of AB...
    How many marks would I lose?

I wrote all correct assumptions: i.e Tension is zero at highest point(90* to the horizontal)

(Original post by Insight314)
    Correct. I got the same. And then the final answer is 3.57 to 3 s.f.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    3+3root6 all over 5

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Phew, I got that and thought I must have been wrong. I spent the last 30 minutes of the exam trying to 'correct' my answer. I tried it a few more times, using different methods, each time getting a different answer lol so I stuck with that

ReputationRep:
    It's probably going to be 72 for A*, I highly doubt that Edexcel would set A* as 72+, despite the paper difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    It's probably going to be 72 for A*, I highly doubt that Edexcel would set A* as 72+, despite the paper difficulty.
    So happy right now!! This means I am almost guaranteed an A and I just need a decent FP2 for A*!!

ReputationRep:
    You should be fine. If the A boundary is even it will 74 for 100ums. So many 100ums people! Then agian this is tsr.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks!

M8, I am really glad for your 100UMS. One step closer to Cambridge!

I actually panicked on Question 6 b) for like a minute, but then realised I had enough time to finish Question 7 and get back to it.

I think the paper was pretty standard except that I think 6 b) caught out a few people.

Anyway, with (hopefully) 100UMS banked I think I will be fine with A* in Further Maths, since it counters any potential flops in M4 and M5; and same for you with the Stats and Decision modules.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Likely not then, my bad

ReputationRep:
    when will a mark scheme go up?

ReputationRep:
    Add a vote please in
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4094789

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    How did you guys prove the second SHM?
    Do -T=(newmass)a
    That was it, it was only 3 marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How did you prove the second SHM after the coalescing? F = -T but with the new mass?

ReputationRep:
    Do -T=(newmass)a

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yea exactly as I did 100% UMS then if I didn't misround any of the answers.

ReputationRep:
    Do -T=(newmass)a

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was actually baffled at how easy it was. Probably caught out a few people, I am not joking. I was scared that I got it wrong lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It will not be 72 for a* lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBeyond)
    It will not be 72 for a* lol
    I think it would be way lower. TSR does not represent how most people found the exam, and 6 b) would've caught quite a few people off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys did you notice that the mass of the particle is 2m(not m) in question 6??

To people worrying - Every year the people who did well on the paper on TSR underestimate the general difficulty and overestimate the grade boundaries, it was definitely not a hard paper but it wasn't easy enough to justify S2 level boundaries. Personally can't see A* going above 70 but just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maths2002)
    Hey guys did you notice that the mass of the particle is 2m(not m) in question 6??
    Yeah that irritated me so much. I kept writing 1/2 mv^2... mgh.. then realising I had to stick a stupid 2 in there

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.