Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel - M3 - 18th May 2016 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)
    24/49 = 0.490 and 8 hours 19 mins. How did you do the elastic string one? It was so easy yet I might have messed it up - got 11/16. These are the only two that could pretty much make or break my paper
    I think you should have forgotten the pie
    v= 24pie/49 = 1.54... mhr^-1

When you change Period into angular velocity there is a pie involved

If you hv forgot the pie for angular velocity, your answer for part B is most likely wrong. Your method is exactly same as mine i have checked, apart from the pie you missed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    This is how inconsistant edexcel is. In the UK paper in one question they used T>=0 and the other question the use T>0, they really need to sort it out!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was confused because from past papers I'd assumed they were always non-strict

In terms of theory, surely they are non-strict?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ombtom)
    Do you think it's worthy of a Hitler video?
    I'm pretty sure difficulty is no longer a pre-requisite for a Hitler video

They made one for C1...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euclidean)

They made one for C1...
    I was going to say that but couldn't word it so eloquently. :h:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euclidean)

They made one for C1...
    I believe they made MORE than 1 for C1... I have seen at least 3...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    Lmao I noticed that. Very slack of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    See what you did there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pyslocke)
    See what you did there
    Too much tension in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    Lmao I noticed that. Very slack of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Terrible Krol, absolutely terrible.

ReputationRep:
    So can we agree on some grade boundary estimates? Based off the poll and last years grade boundaries, 70/71 for 90ums and 64/65 for 80ums?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiva4Eva)
    Exactly. Although my personal vendetta is one year it will be >= and the next year > . We need consistency!!!
    The question specifically stated that BOTH strings were taught, which means neither tension could equal 0, hence why the tension in BP was > 0 not >= 0.

ReputationRep:
    on the lamina question i solved the integrals to get 6 but then absently forgot to subtract 6 from 9 to get the correct answwr of 3, how many marks would i have lost if its out of 6

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamie.mair)
    The question specifically stated that BOTH strings were taught, which means neither tension could equal 0, hence why the tension in BP was > 0 not >= 0.
    Fair enough. I got the symbol right this time though I think. I also cannot remember the question word for word so I think I forgot that bit. Thanks for clearing that up.

ReputationRep:
    I did the same for the first question... Hoping I won't lose any marks but they can't penalise anymore than 1 or 2 if we do... the method to get there was right at most we probably lose an Accuracy mark? Hopefully.

With regards to the T>=0 I have no idea, logically again it might be one or 2 but shouldn't be too many, not enough to affect a grade overall unless you are borderline... hopefully someone agrees with me on this though...
    Huh? I thought it would be T>0? Because when T = 0 the string is slack

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Huh? I thought it would be T>0? Because when T = 0 the string is slack
    Logically I agree, but in the question it AB>=l/2. although I suppose that would still fit with my working if I said T>0 as well... To be honest I cannot remember the questions, just what I wrote. But yes if T=0 the string is slack so...

ReputationRep:
    Logically I agree, but in the question it AB>=l/2. although I suppose that would still fit with my working if I said T>0 as well... To be honest I cannot remember the questions, just what I wrote. But yes if T=0 the string is slack so...
    1 mark max anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jahovasfitness)
    on the lamina question i solved the integrals to get 6 but then absently forgot to subtract 6 from 9 to get the correct answwr of 3, how many marks would i have lost if its out of 6
    you will most likely lose only 1 mark, i made a very silly mistake too on tension question which will cost me 4 marks i think... hate silly mistakes when you know this paper was a paper everyone should have got 100% on

ReputationRep:
    completely unrelated question but as your online... how may marks do you tjink i would have droppped for putting the answer as 6cm rather than 3cm for the lamina question i.e for not subtracting 6 from 9 at the end

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    1 mark max anyway
    True.

ReputationRep:
    is anyone going to post unofficial mark scheme

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jahovasfitness)
    completely unrelated question but as your online... how may marks do you tjink i would have droppped for putting the answer as 6cm rather than 3cm for the lamina question i.e for not subtracting 6 from 9 at the end
    1 (A1) ?... Everything to get there was right I am assuming, although they do like their M1A1 . But I can't remember how many marks the question had and to be honest I haven't read past mark schemes thoroughly enough to be able to know for sure...

sorry can't be more helpful

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.