The Student Room Group

AS Biology OCR - Anyone else struggling?

Hi,

The two AS biology classes in my sixth form are doing really badly. Over both classes it's mostly Cs and Ds whereas the same students may be achieving As and Bs in their other subjects.

As the year progresses I'm now beginning to get quite worried.
I've found that past papers are quite unhelpful, with the old past papers not relating as much to what I'm reading in the new textbooks. Or maybe it does and I'm just being tripped up by wording, or I'm looking through the wrong past papers!

I'm wondering if this is confined to my sixth form or if everyone else is struggling with the new specification? And, if you aren't struggling, are past papers helping? if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks, L
Reply 1
Original post by Leona-L
Hi,

The two AS biology classes in my sixth form are doing really badly. Over both classes it's mostly Cs and Ds whereas the same students may be achieving As and Bs in their other subjects.

As the year progresses I'm now beginning to get quite worried.
I've found that past papers are quite unhelpful, with the old past papers not relating as much to what I'm reading in the new textbooks. Or maybe it does and I'm just being tripped up by wording, or I'm looking through the wrong past papers!

I'm wondering if this is confined to my sixth form or if everyone else is struggling with the new specification? And, if you aren't struggling, are past papers helping? if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks, L

You aren't alone ! I'm the same ! Not doing very well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Doing the same course. This is OCR Biology A, right not OCR Biology B.

What I recommened is using past papers from 1995-2004. My teacher said that that spec is closer to the one we are studying rather than the old spec
No, you're not the only one, my class is struggling too, and we all got A/A*s in GCSE. I don't even know my overall grade, but I just over 50% on my ridiculously nit picky mock, which was hand written by my teacher. SMH.
Reply 4
The thing is, even with the older spec, grade boundaries aren't tremendously high. Last year 70% was an A. So, considering this is a new spec, most people are going to be unfamiliar with exam questions. Usually, with a new spec, grade boundaries are quite low
Reply 5
Original post by SGHD26716
The thing is, even with the older spec, grade boundaries aren't tremendously high. Last year 70% was an A. So, considering this is a new spec, most people are going to be unfamiliar with exam questions. Usually, with a new spec, grade boundaries are quite low

Let's hope so :afraid:

Oh, I thought at A Levels the grade boundaries were fixed, so 80% - A, 70% - B, and so on. I must be wrong, but that's how it's always done at my school.
Reply 7
Original post by adesola15
Oh, I thought at A Levels the grade boundaries were fixed, so 80% - A, 70% - B, and so on. I must be wrong, but that's how it's always done at my school.

UMS grade boundaries are always fixed.
So,
80 UMS = A
70 UMS = B

and so on every time.

But grade boundaries change every year.
So, in one year, for example in biology, there may be a easy paper, and the grade boundary is set at 82% for an A
So 82% = 80 UMS

But in a year with a difficult paper, 72% may be an A
So 72% = 80 UMS.

Your marks get converted to UMS, using a scale, and for AS, you need 80% of UMS to get an A.
AT AS:
A: 240 UMS
B: 210 UMS.
Doing the same course. This is OCR Biology A, right not OCR Biology B.

What I recommened is using past papers from 1995-2004. My teacher said that that spec is closer to the one we are studying rather than the old spec

cn you share a site to get these past papers or drop box , google drive them ??
Reply 9
Original post by longking
cn you share a site to get these past papers or drop box , google drive them ??

The only site I know is http://pastpapers.org/foundation-biology-papers

Going to have to look for specific questions as some may be irrelevant.
anymore good resources>? ???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending