The Student Room Group

listening to music while doing past papers

I'm doing Maths Papers, would listening to music be a bad idea?
Apparently you shouldn't listen to music with lyrics but classical music would be fine :smile:
Context-dependent memory.

I doubt it will matter very much though.
Reply 3
Original post by Blondie987
Apparently you shouldn't listen to music with lyrics but classical music would be fine :smile:

I heard it's ok if you can concentrate on the paper, so lyrics wouldn't matter?
Reply 4
Original post by ByronicHero
Context-dependent memory.

I doubt it will matter very much though.

Thanks!
Provided you don't get distracted by the music, it should be fine :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Qiameth

completely down to you, personally i never do any work without listening to music but I'm used to it i guess
Reply 7
Original post by samb1234
completely down to you, personally i never do any work without listening to music but I'm used to it i guess

Music it is then :biggrin:
Posted from TSR Mobile

I listen to Japanese music as the lyrics don't distract me or listen to white noise
Reply 9
Original post by Qiameth

umm I dunno, my sister says the massive flop of my LSE uni exams 2012-13 was down to listening to music whilst studying.
Its even worse as I was doing a History degree and that is a lot of writing and analysis, so you can easily confuse lyrics and music for your thought process and whatever you're reading. How do you think that would translate into maths work?
Just an observation. I'd say the people I know who listen to music whilst revising tend to be B/C/D students and the ones who don't tend to be more the A*/A students. Typical lyric based radio pop has to be distracting.
Original post by kc_chiefs
Just an observation. I'd say the people I know who listen to music whilst revising tend to be B/C/D students and the ones who don't tend to be more the A*/A students. Typical lyric based radio pop has to be distracting.

I disagree with this on the whole, i know a lot of people (myself included) who can work perfectly fine with music on, it just comes down to personal preference
Listening to lyric-less music should be fine, but remember - you won't have any distractions like this when you're actually sitting the exam, so closer to exam time, maybe you could try sitting past papers in exam conditions?
Actually I did exactly this during my AS levels last year for Maths and Further Maths and came out fine. So I don't think it will affect all people - no guarantees

Lyric-less songs, mind you.

Quick Reply

Latest