The Student Room Group

Chemistry AQA advise

So I pan to study medicine at uni and I have only got 2 interviews, and things are not looking very good at the moment. My aim is to get the grades this year for sure, then reapply next year.

I am currently on AABBC in Biology, Economics, Chemistry, Critical thinking and Geography respectively.

So I dropped Geog and Critical thinking, and I am taking Biology and Economics and Chemistry this year.

I need all A's in these and I have AAB at AS in these. I really think chemistry is the one that I am going to mess up in the final exams...

So my question is, what tips or advise really helped you revising for chemistry? I learn really well from past papers, but these being a finite resource, I am always reluctant to start them!

I specifically do AQA chemistry at A2. Any general advise for revision and specific advise for chemistry will be very useful! Only 88 days until my first exam!!
Flashcards? Summarising notes? If you have a revision guide you can read a page, close it and try to write down everything you remember. Repeat until necessary. I was actually going to suggest past papers as well...lol.

Good luck:h:
If you run out of papers do the AQA legacy papers.

And re-do them after you finish all the AQA papers to make sure you don't repeat your mistakes...

And if even then you're still unsatisfied try some OCR logic questions. Don't go for their essay questions because you want to cater your exam technique for the AQA board.

Also remember if you don't get that Chemistry A level you will have failed at getting into medicine. Which is a chance you only get once (unless you do GEM but like @Hydeman said, who knows if that's still gonna be around).
Original post by High Stakes
Also remember if you don't get that Chemistry A level you will have failed at getting into medicine. Which is a chance you only get once (unless you do GEM but like @Hydeman said, who knows if that's still gonna be around).

Some medical schools do allow post-A2 resits, provided ABB/AAB is attained at the first sitting. But, generally speaking, yes, you should aim to get it right the first time.

GEM should definitely be a last resort option for reasons I've ranted about at length. :smile:
Original post by Hydeman
Some medical schools do allow post-A2 resits, provided ABB/AAB is attained at the first sitting. But, generally speaking, yes, you should aim to get it right the first time.

GEM should definitely be a last resort option for reasons I've ranted about at length. :smile:

You're doing GEM right? Or are planning to? For some reason I keep thinking you're doing Comp Sci but I also see you in the medicine forum so my memory is fuzzy.
Original post by High Stakes
You're doing GEM right? Or are planning to? For some reason I keep thinking you're doing Comp Sci but I also see you in the medicine forum so my memory is fuzzy.

I'm not doing either of them. :colondollar: I'm on a gap year and have applied for the regular five-year medicine courses, which is why I spend so much time preaching in the medicine forum. :ashamed2:
Original post by Hydeman
I'm not doing either of them. :colondollar: I'm on a gap year and have applied for the regular five-year medicine courses, which is why I spend so much time preaching in the medicine forum. :ashamed2:

Ooooh I see :rofl: Good luck!

And I like your preaching. You seemed to me to be well informed and really helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest