The Student Room Group

I'm a 3rd year student with a job offer - doesn't mention my final grade?

EDIT: TL;DR:
- I said I was predicted a 2.i a company for a grad scheme, they gave me a job offer letter via email and asked me to print it off and send them it back and then they'll send me some contracts and other documentation to sort out after

- There's a significant chance I won't get a 2.i. I'm saying about 50%.

- Can they withdraw my offer retroactively because of this even though in the initial, vague offer letter it says nothing about grades?

- I performed well in the assessment centre and some of the graduates have 2.iis and one of the recruiters at the grad fair said they sometimes accept 2.iis, though all their documentation/brochures/etc. says 2.i

- The job start date is before I get my final exam grades/formally graduate/etc.

------------------------------------------

Hi,

I applied for a graduate scheme at a reasonably small company. All I've gotten now is an offer letter, so I haven't signed any contracts or anything. I told them I'm predicted a 2.i and they didn't ask for any proof of that. At my uni a 2.i's cut-off is (basically) 57.5%, and I'm on around 62% right now. In 2nd year I scraped a 2.i average, in 1st year I got a first (though that counts to nothing).

Basically I haven't had my exams yet and they usually drag my average down by quite a bit and I've done really badly in some recent coursework. So I'm thinking there is a chance I'll graduate with a 2.ii.

I'm just wondering if in the future they will give me a contract that specifies the job offer is subject to me getting a 2.i or if the job offer letter alone is fully standing?

Also, the start date is before I graduate (I start early June), I think I start 10 days before results are formally released and a bit before graduation too? So say I were to end up with a 2.ii a month into the job would they be able to retract my job?

I did very well in the assessment centre process in terms of test scores if that means anything and I have a lot of the technical skills they're asking for.

I also asked some of the current graduates and they said they knew 1 or 2 people who had gotten 2.ii's, and at my uni's career fair one of the recruiters said to me as kind of an aside in a hushed tone that they will usually accept 2.ii's.

I don't know if I'm making any sense, I'm just super paranoid right now and I've already withdrawn from some recruitment processes/interviews after receiving the offer and I'm just worried I'm doing all of this when they could withdraw the offer from me if I end up with a 2.ii?

Thanks. I know this is a bit of a stupid post. I'm aware I'll probably get a bit of hate but right now I'm just wanting anything that can put my mind at ease a bit.
(edited 8 years ago)
You'll be fine. You have a job offer that isn't conditional upon your degree. You've been truthful about your predicted grade. You've passed the assessment centre and they obviously want you. Now go work your socks off to get the best exam results you can and in a few months time you'll be wondering what all the fuss was about. Once you've got your first job after uni you'll quickly realise that the real world cares much more about your experience and abilities than degree results! Good luck!
Reply 2
Yes, you should be fine. My boyfriend applied for a job in cisco and he put on his CV that he was predicted a 1st (which I was sure that he was going to get) but he got a 2.1 and they didn't even bother checking it. So you shouldn't worry! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending