The Student Room Group

Women Protection Bill protested by religious leaders as 'un-Islamic'

Scroll to see replies

Original post by digistar_100
So much islamophobia and hate in this thread and on this site in general. You'd think it was a BNP/EDL right wing forum, not one with the current generations so called brightest liberal student minds. Shocking.

It's because I'm a bright liberal student I will raise my voice against this backwardness and bigotry
Reply 81
Original post by Good bloke
This is the key. You would imagine that these people might there is something wrong with their thinking when they complain about those who criticise Islam rather than condemn the Islamic preachers who are using the Koran to justify the continued repression of women, to the extent that they try to shout down a law to protect them.

I challenge any of them to come forward and state, in writing, why suppressing criticism on TSR is more important to them than the lives and well-being of the women in Pakistan that this law is intended to benefit.

@HAnwar

@digistar_100

GOD. The true GOD of Israel will bless your life
Original post by wdkmwd
GOD. The true GOD of Israel will bless your life

Eh? I seriously doubt any god will bless my life, whether of Israel or anywhere else.
Eh? I seriously doubt any god will bless my life, whether of Israel or anywhere else.

Think again, my friend...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster

I have Ramen for breakfast most days, JML stew beef or pork shoulder generally. Truly I am among the most blessed.

You are quite right: I had pasta for lunch
Reply 86
This is the key. You would imagine that these people might there is something wrong with their thinking when they complain about those who criticise Islam rather than condemn the Islamic preachers who are using the Koran to justify the continued repression of women, to the extent that they try to shout down a law to protect them.

I challenge any of them to come forward and state, in writing, why suppressing criticism on TSR is more important to them than the lives and well-being of the women in Pakistan that this law is intended to benefit.

@HAnwar

@digistar_100
It's true that there are some apologists who seem to have lost touch with their humanity. When someone will attack someone who is criticising slavery or wife-beating, rather than criticise the actual slavery or wife-beating, one has to wonder what exactly is going on. :dontknow:
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
And you have people on here saying Muslim countries are some of the best for women..

No one says that lol
Original post by teenhorrorstory
No one says that lol

You haven't seen it yourself honey
Original post by teenhorrorstory
No one says that lol

I've seen at least one regular Muslim user (whom you probably know of, but I'll save her the embarrassment) defend the driving ban for women in Saudi Arabia, and that's without counting the number of times it's been asserted that women get the same rights under Islamic law as men...
(edited 8 years ago)
Ah Pakistan. The same place where a ban on child marriages was shot down by the Council of Islamic Ideology after they declared it was also 'un-Islamic'.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/1027742/settled-matter-bill-aiming-to-ban-child-marriages-shot-down

"Another move to ban child marriages in Pakistan has fallen at the first hurdle. The bill to prohibit underage marriages has been withdrawn after the Council of Islamic Ideology (CII) declared it un-Islamic. The ruling party lawmaker, who moved the bill, withdrew her proposal on Thursday following staunch resistance from the council, which advises the legislature whether or not a certain law is Sharia-compliant."

Parliament cannot create legislation that is against the teachings of the Holy Quran or Sunnah, he had said while backing his arguments with relevant laws and a few references from the Holy Quran and Hadith."
Women's Rights Protested by TSR as Islamophobic
Original post by QE2
It's true that there are some apologists who seem to have lost touch with their humanity. When someone will attack someone who is criticising slavery or wife-beating, rather than criticise the actual slavery or wife-beating, one has to wonder what exactly is going on. :dontknow:

I've always wondered that. For example, when a cartoonists draws the prophet, or Bill Maher says a joke, there is outrage on a huge level. Muslims riot on the streets, they go on a rampage and burn busses, embassies etc. Legions of people protests and calls for Blasphemy laws in Western countries...

When Saudi Arabia, obviously being a False Islamic State, does something horrible in the name of Islam, the reaction is merely "Not True Islam". Where is the level of passion you get for blasphemers? Where is call for boycotting Saudi Arabia? Where are the street riots in Egypt and Pakistan when the Grand Mufti issues a fatwa on Pokémon, clearly bringing the religion into disrepute. Or banning women from Starbucks, or Raif Badawi.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by chemting
I've always wondered that. For example, when a cartoonists draws the prophet, or Bill Maher says a joke, there is outrage on a huge level. Muslims riot on the streets, they go on a rampage and burns busses, embassies. Legions of people calls for Blasphemy laws and protests...

When Saudi Arabia, obviously being a False Islamic State, does something horrible in the name of Islam, the reaction is merely "Not True Islam". Where is the level of passion you get for blasphemers? Where is call for boycotting Saudi Arabia? Where are the street riots when the Grand Mufti issues a fatwa on Pokémon, clearly bringing the religion into disrepute. Or banning women from Starbucks, or Raif Badawi.

I found this to be the case immediately after the Paris attacks as well. A lot of Islamists and regressive leftists on TSR forwent completely any kind of condemnation of the attacks, instead choosing to moan and cry about the potential backlash against Muslims and/or increased scrutiny of Islam (which hadn't yet materialised). So the logic seems to be:

1. 130+ (mainly) French non-Muslims die in a terrorist attack -- Eh. What're you gonna do. The world's a dangerous place, and France should have known better than to ban the burqa.

2. A potential backlash against Islam or Muslims or people of stereotypical Muslim appearance -- Oh my god! The West is so Islamophobic! This is all the West's fault because Iraq -- something something -- Afghanistan and now another Holocaust is about to take place!

#Logic. :yy:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman
I found this to be the case immediately after the Paris attacks as well. A lot of Islamists and regressive leftists on TSR forwent completely any kind of condemnation of the attacks, instead choosing to moan and cry about the potential backlash against Muslims and/or increased scrutiny of Islam (which hadn't yet materialised). So the logic seems to be:

1. 130+ (mainly) French non-Muslims die in a terrorist attack -- Eh. What're you gonna do. The world's a dangerous place, and France should have known better than to ban the burqa.

2. A potential backlash against Islam or Muslims or people of stereotypical Muslim appearance -- Oh my god! The West is so Islamophobic! This is all the West's fault because Iraq -- something something -- Afghanistan and now another Holocaust is about to take place!

Absolutely agree. Or the mass sexual assaults in Cologne and other German cities on New Year's Eve. It was like 'meh, that's bad but women get sexually assaulted all the time and it's white men who are at fault. The real tragedy is that some people might start protesting against mass immigration! Did we mention that it's all the fault of white men? And those white German women who have expensive smartphones, what did they expect? Nothing whatsoever to do with misogynistic and backwards attitudes. Blame white men. And horrors, the impending Islamophobic backlash! Muslims are the real victims!'
Original post by Hydeman

Ah, true. Although I have to point out the outrage from some Muslims was the fact that there's little coverage for other bombings that week e.g. Beirut and Baghdad which I have to admit they may have a point (though I don't know if that's how TSRians felt, that's from the wider community). However, you're right that wasn't the case for everyone. The more regressive minded people cared more about "backlash" (whilst conveniently ignoring backlash Jews face in France).

Another example is from our best friend Andalusi who immediately felt the need to point out mass shootings done by white people straight after San Bernadinho.

The Iraq war caused a lot of things and had many unintended consequence... but people need to realise that this problem in Pakistan has nothing to do it. It needs to be realised when Zia-Ul-Haq turned the country into an Islamic State - its been declining (in terms of socially anyway).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 96
Original post by Hydeman

It would be nice, just occasionally, to see a Muslim group or individuals saying that they unequivocally condemn slavery in all its forms, or that any form of domestic violence is unacceptable, or that every statement that discriminates or opresses on the grounds of gender or sexuality should be robustly denounced.

And condemnations of terrorist atrocities that did not contain a "but..." would be good as well.
As you say, the ummah is more that happy to unite in unequivocal and absolute condemnation (and some crazy ****) over a bit of ink on paper, so why not the same level of unity and condemnation over something that is actually bad, in the real world?
Reply 97
Original post by chemting
Ah, true. Although I have to point out the outrage from some Muslims was the fact that there's little coverage for other bombings that week e.g. Beirut and Baghdad which I have to admit they have a point
Not strictly true. The Beiruit bombing, especially, got a lot of coverage. I even checked the Daily Mail (when having this same discussion with someone) and it had at least a couple of articles every day for several days.

What people seem to forget when bringing this up is that there are several factors that determine newsworthiness. Two of the most important are closeness of connection, and frequency. Something that happens in London is of far more interest to British people and media than something that happens in Baghdad, and vice versa. Paris is just about the closest capital to the UK, and one of the most visited by Brits. We learn French at school. We have a close bond that is centuries old.
And if an event is a regular occurrance, it is less newsworthy that a unique event. The only mystery is why people would think that British people and media would give equal weight to the Paris attacks and the baghdad bomb!

The Iraq war caused a lot of things and had many unintended consequence... but people need to realise that this problem in Pakistan has nothing to do it. It needs to be realised when Zia-Ul-Haq turned the country into an Islamic State - its been declining.
Another thing that some people seem to have missed is that the modern incarnation of Islamist terrorism started years before the invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan, so those events can't be used as justification. There were several major attacks on US interests before they had invaded anywhere. What was the justification for those?
Original post by QE2
Another thing that some people seem to have missed is that the modern incarnation of Islamist terrorism started years before the invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan, so those events can't be used as justification. There were several major attacks on US interests before they had invaded anywhere. What was the justification for those?

The United States supported Israel. That was one of the 'provocations' cited by bin Laden, if I recall correctly.

If you really wanted to disprove this 'American foreign policy creates Islamist terrorism' nonsense, all you'd need to do is point anybody proposing this to the Barbary wars and the grievance over which they were fought. :rolleyes:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
And you have people on here saying Muslim countries are some of the best for women..

Also, there is a distinct lack of women on these threads that criticise Islam's treatment of women.

Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful for and impressed by the TSR boys that regularly appear to debate the issue, but.....where are the girls to speak up against this?!?!?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending