The Student Room Group

Muslims please

Salaam, I am 23 years old I have made my intentions clear to my mother and the girl (21) who I love that I want to marry her she has the same intentions as me. I’ve recently graduated and I am on the search for a postgraduate job I’ve successfully had interviews but was unlucky to not go pass through the recruitment stage yet but I will In Sha Allah, I’ve been told that for me to have my wedding with the girl I’d like to marry I would have to work to fund for it and I am working non stop raising money towards my savings and for our marriage. The issue is my mother is so insistent on getting the phone number of her parents in particular the father although he is strict, quite hard to approach too that was what I got told by the girl anyway what do I do. If the both of us want to marry each other how do we go about this the girl tried speaking to her mother her mother was reluctant to listen on two occasions and it’s frustrating my mother of her having to wait for the chance to talk to her parents.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Salaam, I am 23 years old I have made my intentions clear to my mother and the girl (21) who I love that I want to marry her she has the same intentions as me. I’ve recently graduated and I am on the search for a postgraduate job I’ve successfully had interviews but was unlucky to not go pass through the recruitment stage yet but I will In Sha Allah, I’ve been told that for me to have my wedding with the girl I’d like to marry I would have to work to fund for it and I am working non stop raising money towards my savings and for our marriage. The issue is my mother is so insistent on getting the phone number of her parents in particular the father although he is strict, quite hard to approach too that was what I got told by the girl anyway what do I do. If the both of us want to marry each other how do we go about this the girl tried speaking to her mother her mother was reluctant to listen on two occasions and it’s frustrating my mother of her having to wait for the chance to talk to her parents.

Wa 'alaykum as-salaam,
The problem here akhi, may Allaah bless you, is that you did not approach her father first, as you were supposed to. Now you are in a difficult situation. It is not appropriate for two people to plan to get married without getting the permission of the woman's guardian first. The permission of the woman's guardian is a condition for the validity of the marriage as the Prophet said (meaning): "There is no marriage except with a guardian." If her father does not want to marry her off to you, then leave her.
It does not make sense for two people to chat behind the scenes and hope that later her father will accept. By doing this, you risk falling for her and may get disappointed later on. It only makes sense to first ask her father if you have permission to marry her and if he accepts, then you can arrange to meet her in the presence of her father and get to know her. This way prevents any suspicious and dishonourable activities from happening. It is hard to give advice as you are in quite a difficult situation, but I hope that this gives you a warning for the future and so that you can inform others.
You post on a generalised forum so why do you address your comments to 'muslims' as if they are the only replies you are willing to listen to? This is discrimination by any other title? If someone were to post and put 'Christians please' there would be I am sure outrage from many?

If you open your eyes and ears to a wider audience you may get a much richer response to your post and ultimately to your life in general? Otherwise why bother making such a post?
Reply 3
You post on a generalised forum so why do you address your comments to 'muslims' as if they are the only replies you are willing to listen to? This is discrimination by any other title? If someone were to post and put 'Christians please' there would be I am sure outrage from many?

If you open your eyes and ears to a wider audience you may get a much richer response to your post and ultimately to your life in general? Otherwise why bother making such a post?

Not at all. This person is clearly Muslim and its pretty obvious that with both Islam and Christian the guidance for going about the situation is different. Its not "discriminatory" for someone to want help from people of the same religion. Christians may have a different approach which wouldn't be right for him. Its not generalised and you wouldnt understand.

Just post anyway. I've posted on other threads that only ask for Muslim opinions, I don't care. It's a public forum and anyone can post on any thread, if OP doesn't want to listen to your opinion then fine but they can't stop you posting.
Reply 5

Honestly it's worth trying to speak to at least one of her parents and then ask whichever parent about the phone number thing and go from there, you could ask your partner to organise a meetup?

You're not really going to get anywhere if you haven't spoken to her parents and anyone would find it odd that you skipped the formality of meeting your partner's parents from any religious perspective. It's probably because of this that your partner's mother seems so hesitant about all this, because in her eyes you're a stranger despite your feelings for her daughter. You need to meet up with them regularly so they can familiarise themselves with you and then take things from there - this situation is a little rushed.

I hope things work out for you both, Good Luck! :smile:
Reply 6

because its to do w the islamic culture/religion ??? looool it must be hard trying to be mad at everything
Has your partner told her parents?

Why do you post the same thing over and over again? If you want relationship advice, TSR is not the place.
Reply 9
Has your partner told her parents?

She’s tried telling her mum her mum has refused to listen on this topic
She’s tried telling her mum her mum has refused to listen on this topic

Does that mean that even though you both want to get married, that basically it’s impossible for you to marry her until her parents give permission?

Do her parents know about you dating her? Have they met you yet?
Reply 11
Does that mean that even though you both want to get married, that basically it’s impossible for you to marry her until her parents give permission?

Do her parents know about you dating her? Have they met you yet?

I’m not dating her but this more or less is love marriage it’s her parents to whom I’m waiting permission for to marry her
I’m not dating her but this more or less is love marriage it’s her parents to whom I’m waiting permission for to marry her

I thought you were dating her as you said you love her. Is she also keen to get married? If yes, why doesn't she tell her parents about this topic? Is there a reason why they are saying no?
Reply 13
I thought you were dating her as you said you love her. Is she also keen to get married? If yes, why doesn't she tell her parents about this topic? Is there a reason why they are saying no?

We do have feelings for one and other since we met at work and the understanding between the both of us is there she’s keen on getting married well she’s in her second year of university her mother wants her to complete university before getting married although I offered a flexible choice in which we have our wedding and she stays with her parents until she’s ready to move in
We do have feelings for one and other since we met at work and the understanding between the both of us is there she’s keen on getting married well she’s in her second year of university her mother wants her to complete university before getting married although I offered a flexible choice in which we have our wedding and she stays with her parents until she’s ready to move in

Okay I understand your point. Since it seems like you need her parents permission, why don't you wait until she has finished university then? What's the rush? How does she feel about what her mum said - is she desperate to get married right now or does she not mind to wait until she has finished university?
Reply 15
Okay I understand your point. Since it seems like you need her parents permission, why don't you wait until she has finished university then? What's the rush? How does she feel about what her mum said - is she desperate to get married right now or does she not mind to wait until she has finished university?

Well when we first spoke to each other she said she’d need 2-3 years that too time to tell and approach her parents even though she’s attending her second year of university as of this September the very least I could know is the response to what her parents would say or a form of assurance from either parent there’s no rush though both of us feel and wish we were married she said herself she’s desperate to get married though she appreciates the fact that I’m waiting for her
Well when we first spoke to each other she said she’d need 2-3 years that too time to tell and approach her parents even though she’s attending her second year of university as of this September the very least I could know is the response to what her parents would say or a form of assurance from either parent there’s no rush though both of us feel and wish we were married she said herself she’s desperate to get married though she appreciates the fact that I’m waiting for her

So what's the problem you have then? As you are working to fund the wedding which will take place in 2-3 years which her parents and her herself would be happy with.
Reply 17
So what's the problem you have then? As you are working to fund the wedding which will take place in 2-3 years which her parents and her herself would be happy with.

Yes I’m self funding the wedding myself saving all my money that I earn and I have a figure in mind to save towards and estimate how much this wedding will cost we want a small Nikkah no more than 50 people at a mosque with a function to celebrate for later
Yes I’m self funding the wedding myself saving all my money that I earn and I have a figure in mind to save towards and estimate how much this wedding will cost we want a small Nikkah no more than 50 people at a mosque with a function to celebrate for later

Okay sorry I misunderstood. Did you have another problem then because you started a thread about it? I hope you get married soon and it works out.
It's telling that nearly 74% of the posts on this thread are anonymous? A reminder that this is the UK right now in 2023 - a society which should vociferously defend the freedoms of speech and debate?

Have we all forgotten so quickly that only a short time ago there were a few brave women who took great risks for all of us? Those same women who had the courage to challenge the societal and religious expectations of the day? Those same women who challenged the belief that women were owned by their family and had no societal rights only to obey religious and family leaders expectations with no rights to decide their own future?

Regardless of outcome I hope you both have a happy and free life here in the UK

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending