The Student Room Group

computer science hard?

is computer science hard? why? what do you have to do? any revision resources?
The coursework is brutal don't take it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by lilsadkitty

Posted from TSR Mobile

what do you mean?
it's extremely hard, time consuming and just boring- not worth it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lilsadkitty

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find the theory even worse than the CAs.

Original post by geek567

Don't do it.
Original post by geek567

don't...just don't...
if you try it, i guarantee months later you will remember this reply

on the plus side you have the choice to drop it so if you really really want to give it a try go ahead.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Username3097486
don't...just don't...
if you try it, i guarantee months later you will remember this reply

lol
the thing is I've already picked it for next year as an option so looking at the comment I'm going to drop it.
i only picked it because i thought i would be interesting but ...
Original post by geek567
lol
the thing is I've already picked it for next year as an option so looking at the comment I'm going to drop it.
i only picked it because i thought i would be interesting but ...

to be honest i think u could try it ONLY because you can drop it so theres not really any pressure. if you aren't interested DROP IT
Reply 8
to be honest i think u could try it ONLY because you can drop it so theres not really any pressure. if you aren't interested DROP IT

if i don't drop it what do you learn?(in detail, please):smile:
Pretty much what people have been saying but the theory is quite easy, but the coursework (60% of the GCSE I think) are 2 pieces of coursework, which are very long and very arduous. A451 is the theory and is what you'll take your exam on (devices, topologies, algorithms, software stuff like that). A452 is using the Linux command line to complete tasks (Boring tasks) and A453 is programming in python (hard to get a good grade on because even if you're a master at python, you get the marks from saying what it does, making testing tables, taking screenshots and loads more).
Reply 10
Original post by AxSirlotl
Pretty much what people have been saying but the theory is quite easy, but the coursework (60% of the GCSE I think) are 2 pieces of coursework, which are very long and very arduous. A451 is the theory and is what you'll take your exam on (devices, topologies, algorithms, software stuff like that). A452 is using the Linux command line to complete tasks (Boring tasks) and A453 is programming in python (hard to get a good grade on because even if you're a master at python, you get the marks from saying what it does, making testing tables, taking screenshots and loads more).

thsnks
Original post by geek567
if i don't drop it what do you learn?(in detail, please):smile:

well you do 60 percent of the controlled assessment from year 10 to a certain point. (We only finish this on wednesday because we had the worst teacher in existance who wasted our time by giving us the wrong tasks) Anyway I got from an E to an A because of a new teacher so thats ok.

After you learn just theory which is 40%. The course is somewhat short but I basically need to self teach it before the exam so i'll do that in the Easter. U just memorise stuff and need to be relatively good at programming

here is the content http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/ict-and-computer-science/gcse/computer-science-4512/subject-content/overview-of-the-subject-content
Reply 12
[QUOTE="Username3097486;63583459"]well you do 60 percent of the controlled assessment from year 10 to a certain point. (We only finish this on wednesday because we had the worst teacher in existance who wasted our time by giving us the wrong tasks) Anyway I got from an E to an A because of a new teacher so thats ok.

After you learn just theory which is 40%. The course is somewhat short but I basically need to self teach it before the exam so i'll do that in the Easter. U just memorise stuff and need to be relatively good at programming

here is the content http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/ict-and-computer-science/gcse/computer-science-4512/subject-content/overview-of-the-subject-content[/QUOTE

thanks you've helped a lot:smile:
well you do 60 percent of the controlled assessment from year 10 to a certain point. (We only finish this on wednesday because we had the worst teacher in existance who wasted our time by giving us the wrong tasks) Anyway I got from an E to an A because of a new teacher so thats ok.

here is the content http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/ict-and-computer-science/gcse/computer-science-4512/subject-content/overview-of-the-subject-content

Could I see how you much you did for your coursework for Python and App inventor? Mine's due soon too.:s-smilie:
Original post by hassangh
Could I see how you much you did for your coursework for Python and App inventor? Mine's due soon too.:s-smilie:

Can't risk getting disqualified for plagiarism. Sorry
Original post by geek567

Wouldn't say it's hard, just incredibly time-consuming. Theory's boring and questions can be worded weirdly, although there are always a few nice ones on binary/hex/denary conversions or identifying variables in a program

Controlled assessment will take ages to complete and you get hardly any marks for the actual coding. I can't count the number of lunches and after school sessions I've been to just to finish it.

Take it if computing's something that interests you, but do take into account how much work it is and whether you want a workload like that when you have exams to be revising for (currently me atm lol)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest