The Student Room Group

British Empire Society

Scroll to see replies

Richy_Boi
As they say my friend; arrogance diminishes wisdom.

If this society doesn't exemplify that statement then I don't know what does.
Reply 181
biggie-n
If the massacre of the unarmed with rifles is bravery (infamous Amritsar 1919) then yes, full credit to the empire for its 'achievements'.

A lot of rubbish. Of course you can come up with some unpleasant act - it's not very difficult. Every government in history has done something of this type, it's nothing to be remotely ashamed of. Nor does it in any way lessen the ideological justifications for imperialism.

biggie-n
Yes, because the right to live in peace is so overrated right?

Hardly 'peace' when most of these developing countries are either constantly on the brink of civil war or war with their neighbours. That's what Nationalism does - and to be frank, I think it's as unacceptable as racism.

Let me guess, you don't believe in democracy either?

Not many people really do when it comes down to it.
Lib North
A lot of rubbish. Of course you can come up with some unpleasant act - it's not very difficult. Every government in history has done something of this type, it's nothing to be remotely ashamed of. Nor does it in any way lessen the ideological justifications for imperialism.
Oh please. Bring on the 'ideological justifications'. Go on. The right to freedom renders them all baseless.

Lib North
Hardly 'peace' when most of these developing countries are either constantly on the brink of civil war or war with their neighbours. That's what Nationalism does - and to be frank, I think it's as unacceptable as racism.
The current state of affairs is preferable to 'another brutal empire' as put by another gentleman. That was the statement I was replying to. I also believe nationalism is preferable to being a subject in an empire, since the very nature of empire is to leave governance in the hands of another nation. Self governance is a right and the root of anti-imperialism. Kid yourself all you want with your ideological justifications, but you can't deny the fact that ppl don't like being told what to do and it led to the fall of the British empire.

Lib North
Not many people really do when it comes down to it.

Again, I was responding to someone who said China seizing America wouldn't be a bad thing. Now if you want to justify that, be my guest. "Democracy is the worst form of government, except all others" - Churchill. Until you find another way, it is always preferable to any alternative. What system do you believe in?
Reply 183
biggie-n
Oh please. Bring on the 'ideological justifications'. Go on. The right to freedom renders them all baseless.

Nationalist nonsense. The only thing capable of being 'free' is an individual human being - and that is measured in terms of how liberal a government is. Nations, despite the amount of personified emotional nonsense is attached to them by 'patriots' cannot be free.

Ideological justifications - why do we think it's right to impose our laws on 'our own' citizens, yet not on others outwith this small group of islands? To me, that is hypocrisy.

The current state of affairs is preferable to 'another brutal empire' as put by another gentleman. That was the statement I was replying to. I also believe nationalism is preferable to being a subject in an empire, since the very nature of empire is to leave governance in the hands of another nation.

I don't think that's fundamentally true. An incorporating empire need be nothing of the sort - the French largely had that. There's no reason we could not bring about imperial federalism.

Indeed, for many British possessions, the interference from London was negligable. For many years, the American colonies had zero - and when they had a tiny measure of it, they started shooting at us.

Self governance is a right

Meaningless when tied up with Nationalism. It's no more 'self-' than Nationalist government: am I self-governed because I share my parliament with a white Cornishman instead of a chap from the Punjab?

you can't deny the fact that ppl don't like being told what to do and it led to the fall of the British empire.

I think Nationalism fundamentally tells people what their culture and identity ought to be.

Anything else is irrelevant, as it's a matter of how liberal a state is, not where its borders lie.
Polite yet straight to the point. I applaud you Lib North.

Can I have membership to this society anyway?
Lib North
Nationalist nonsense. The only thing capable of being 'free' is an individual human being - and that is measured in terms of how liberal a government is. Nations, despite the amount of personified emotional nonsense is attached to them by 'patriots' cannot be free.
Imperialist nonsense. Nations are as free as those that inhabit them. Imperial law violates the freedom of one to be governed by laws decided by one's own society. Nationalism derives from cultural differences, not from race as you would believe.

Whatever different degrees of freedom imperial law might allow for, if the people in that country do not wish to be governed by these laws, the country is not free. Most people will concede that we need some form of government in society, and they will further agree that the government should reflect their values, and not those of some faraway imperial power. As soon as you violate that freedom to self govern via imperialism, you undermine any possible justification for it. Unless of course you argue that freedom to preserve cultural values have no place in this world and believe we should all conform to one culture?

Lib North
Ideological justifications - why do we think it's right to impose our laws on 'our own' citizens, yet not on others outwith this small group of islands? To me, that is hypocrisy.
Because those 'others' value different things - different balances of free markets and government intervention, different cultural values. Because, you have no right. Consider it this way: why should the USA not impose its laws on the UK?

Lib North
I don't think that's fundamentally true. An incorporating empire need be nothing of the sort - the French largely had that. There's no reason we could not bring about imperial federalism.
The reason is popular opinion against it. The reason is that there is no one country that should be granted this ability to extend an empire. Any ideas? Should it be Britain, or America, or China, or some other country? Your idea is idealistic beyond measure. Imaginative for sure, but infeasible.

Lib North
Indeed, for many British possessions, the interference from London was negligable. For many years, the American colonies had zero - and when they had a tiny measure of it, they started shooting at us.
That's just it, any measure is unacceptable. A basic human nature to not like being told what to do.

Lib North
Meaningless when tied up with Nationalism. It's no more 'self-' than Nationalist government: am I self-governed because I share my parliament with a white Cornishman instead of a chap from the Punjab?
You are self governed because you have a choice of who represents you. Whether that be a white Cornishman or a bloke from Punjab, that's your choice. And I think you'd choose the white Cornishman because he reflects your ideals more closely than the other. And if you do not, I can assure you that the majority of the world's population would choose someone who represents their values the closest, and these values are tied up in the society, the nation. Imperialism does not allow for that.

Lib North
I think Nationalism fundamentally tells people what their culture and identity ought to be.
Nationalism doesn't tell you to do anything. It is "the belief that groups of people are bound together by territorial, cultural and (sometimes) ethnic links". And this is true in almost all the countries in the world. Just because it may not apply to the fragmented UK society does not mean it applies in every other country. Nationalism is not a crime.

Lib North
Anything else is irrelevant, as it's a matter of how liberal a state is, not where its borders lie.
In that case, how about the UK be annexed by another liberal country? It will remain liberal, and according to you, there should be no opposition.
Reply 186
biggie-n
Imperialist nonsense. Nations are as free as those that inhabit them. Imperial law violates the freedom of one to be governed by laws decided by one's own society. Nationalism derives from cultural differences, not from race as you would believe.

I am aware of the difference between nationalism and racism; I find them equally contemptable.

Whatever different degrees of freedom imperial law might allow for, if the people in that country do not wish to be governed by these laws, the country is not free.

Laws only have effect for people who do not wish to be governed by them. Otherwise they'd obey voluntarily. So that point is complete nonsense.

Most people will concede that we need some form of government in society, and they will further agree that the government reflect their values, and not those of some faraway imperial power.

I reject moral relativism. We are all human beings, we all have the same needs. This tends to be the argument used by people who support 'values' like stoning women for adultery or ignoring due process of the law.

Anyway, I don't have a government which reflects my values now the Labour Party is in power. Can I secede from Britain?

Unless of course you argue that freedom to preserve cultural values have no place in this world and believe we should all conform to one culture?

Nope, merely that it has no place in government. The government should not endorse cultures - that's an affront to the freedom of people to choose their own.

Because those 'others' value different things - different balances of free markets and government intervention, different cultural values. Because, you have no right. Consider it this way: why should the USA not impose its laws on the UK?

I wouldn't be terribly offended if it did. I assess governments on the reasonability of their laws - not the accent or skin colour of the person proposing them.

You are self governed because you have a choice of who represents you.

No I don't. Not in the least.

And I think you'd choose the white Cornishman because he reflects your ideals more closely than the other.

Nope, I choose a Punjabi liberal over a Cornish fascist, say, any day of the week. Their race and culture is irrelevant to me.

And if you do not, I can assure you that the majority of the world's population would choose someone who represents their values the closest, and these values are tied up in the society, the nation. Imperialism does not allow for that.

Imperialism does not allow for people to wallow in their own small-mindedness? Good!

Nationalism doesn't tell you to do anything. It is "the belief that groups of people are bound together by territorial, cultural and (sometimes) ethnic links". And this is true in almost all the countries in the world. Just because it may not apply to the fragmented UK society does not mean it applies in every other country. Nationalism is not a crime.

I think it's one of the worst crimes in human history.

Nationalism endorses an orthodox culture. UK society is no more fragmented than any other - however, in a liberal society, we allow INDIVIDUALS to CHOOSE their culture, not have it imposed by a government. Endorsement is as good as that, and indeed usually leads to that.

In that case, how about the UK be annexed by another liberal country? It will remain liberal, and according to you, there should be no opposition.

If it was a more liberal country, then that would be fantastic.

However it is Britain that has carried the torch of liberty for centuries in this world.
Reply 187
firstly in international politics there is no morality or moral highground only realpolitic.needs be as they must.and if one goes back far enough where all as bad as each other.it is a fact of human exsistance that we compete for resources
also open international trade on the whole raises the standard of living for all involved although there may be some short term side effects due to structual inflexibility.
to apply modern morality to judge history is fallicious mistake.our morality is a result of differant conditions and thus is bound to be differant.
the empire brought several great benifits to the world(mentioned above)
yes it did commit some 'bad' acts.but this aslo can be applyed to any country/society.if one is to remove the ultiliterian glasses and stop looking at things in numbers.the empire did bring concepts inventions which have added to the overall greatness of mankind
Lib North
I am aware of the difference between nationalism and racism; I find them equally contemptable.
Great. Your opinion. The majority of the world's population would agree that self determination is an important right. It is witnessed in the distinct lack of empires in today's world and utter distaste for foreign intervention in the smallest matters of society.

Lib North
Laws only have effect for people who do not wish to be governed by them. Otherwise they'd obey voluntarily. So that point is complete nonsense.
Wrong. People have the right to choose who should make the laws for their state. This is different from choosing which laws to obey. It implies faith in the person nominated to prevent deteriment to the electorate in the form of economic disasters or military conflict.

Lib North
I reject moral relativism. We are all human beings, we all have the same needs. This tends to be the argument used by people who support 'values' like stoning women for adultery or ignoring due process of the law.
Wrong. Differences in values can be reflected in simple economic decisions. The UK electorate may value less government intervention than the French, for example. They have their reasons, and neither system has been proven to be the 'correct' one. You may not like economics, but it underpins everything in society. And sadly there is no single system that is correct. For this reason, the UK has no right to impose its laws on a French electorate.

Lib North
Anyway, I don't have a government which reflects my values now the Labour Party is in power. Can I secede from Britain?
You can do as you wish. The majority of British people do not feel so aggreived. And anyway, you can vote, or stand for elections yourself if you so wish. Imperialim dictates that one group of people has the power to govern over all. There is no choice.

Lib North
Nope, merely that it has no place in government. The government should not endorse cultures - that's an affront to the freedom of people to choose their own.
If a culture is shared by a whole nation, then it poses no problem. Imperialism leads to a conflict of cultures.

Lib North
I wouldn't be terribly offended if it did. I assess governments on the reasonability of their laws - not the accent or skin colour of the person proposing them.
You are an exception rather than the rule. I am yet to meet another person who thinks this way. I doubt the supports of imperialism on here will suffer imperial rule by another country.

Lib North
No I don't. Not in the least.
You have a freedom to stand for election if none of the parties satisfies you. You must find like minded ppl though, or else your grievance is insignificant.

Lib North
Imperialism does not allow for people to wallow in their own small-mindedness? Good!
It is not small minded to value society and national pride as long as it is not at the expense of others. If a country leaves you alone, what right does an imperial power have to interfere? As soon as you interfere, there is a conflict of interest. You may belive, for whatever strange reason, that it is ok for you to be ruled over by a foreign power, but the majority of the world does not. That is why imperialism has failed. It has shown itself to be inherently unstable as a form of government. That is why it failed and that is why it will never work. That is why national states have survived, and are very likely to do so.

Lib North
I think it's one of the worst crimes in human history. Nationalism endorses an orthodox culture. UK society is no more fragmented than any other - however, in a liberal society, we allow INDIVIDUALS to CHOOSE their culture, not have it imposed by a government. Endorsement is as good as that, and indeed usually leads to that.
Nationalism rejects intereference from foreigners. Because a society can only be extended so far before differences between groups within become a problem. That is why the nation state is optimum given the history of a people and their binding ties in culture. Imperialism does dictates that

Lib North
However it is Britain that has carried the torch of liberty for centuries in this world.
Liberty? Defined in your narrow terms no doubt. The British empire was the antithesis of liberty - it was based on coercion and imposed authority. If it wasn't then why did so many countries rebel? Why did they not just accept the foreign rule? Because they are small minded? Well why did Britain not accept German rule in WW2?
goddamihatehull
the empire brought several great benifits to the world(mentioned above)
yes it did commit some 'bad' acts.but this aslo can be applyed to any country/society.if one is to remove the ultiliterian glasses and stop looking at things in numbers.the empire did bring concepts inventions which have added to the overall greatness of mankind
These 'progresses' were far from inevitable, as evidenced by the staggering growth in non occupied countries in the last 20 years or so. The empire did not invent all technology.

If we stop looking at numbers, we end up trying to infer motives from actions. Which is more foolish than trusting numbers.

If it is such a great system, why so much opposition? Surely people would recognise all the 'benefits' or empire and revel in them?
Reply 190
but if we stick with purely numbers what ever 51% want is what is good .if 51% want to kill the other 49% then that would be ok.ethics is much more then this .and althougth statistics can help in deciding what is good and the correct they cannot tell us the everything .and i admit infering motives is difficult but it is a vital part of what ethics is
i wasent talking about process in the last 20 years .,What i was talking about
is that britain more or less singlehandly introduced industralisation to the
world.
Also i never said that the empire would have in its operation pleased everybody no society everdoes.but again because people do not recongnise the benifits of something does not mean that those benifits do not exsist.education is an example most children and perhaps their parents do not recognise the benifits of it yet he benifits are their.
also i did not claim the empire invented everything
goddamihatehull
but if we stick with purely numbers what ever 51% want is what is good .if 51% want to kill the other 49% then that would be ok.ethics is much more then this .and althougth statistics can help in deciding what is good and the correct they cannot tell us the everything .and i admit infering motives is difficult but it is a vital part of what ethics is
world.
Also i never said that the empire would have in its operation pleased everybody no society everdoes.but again because people do not recongnise the benifits of something does not mean that those benifits do not exsist.education is an example most children and perhaps their parents do not recognise the benifits of it yet he benifits are their.
Ok, well sticking to the topic: empire. It is equally wrong to pick on one small good and amplify it until all the ills are forgotten. The fact is, the empire caused a lot of suffering to millions of people, and in no way do the 'glorious benefits' outweigh the negative. The ratio of -ve to +ve is hideously large.
goddamihatehull
world.
Ok, well sticking to the topic: empire. It is equally wrong to pick on one small good and amplify it until all the ills are forgotten. The fact is, the empire caused a lot of suffering to millions of people, and in no way do the 'glorious benefits' outweigh the negative. The ratio of -ve to +ve is hideously large. And if that is a joke to some people, then it is a sad state of affairs and compares to Holocaust denial in its 'eyes shut' approach.
Reply 193
yet the question remains at what level does suffering equate into some action as being bad .one person 10 people 1000 people 50%, this is the question a hand if we are to determine if something is bad purely on a calculus.if one says one person then one has praticaly ruled out every action by society ever.for example if one looks at the second world war ,hitler offered to britain a option to let germany have europe while britain could keep its empire ,no undoubtly this would have resulted in less suffering for people in britain while fighting caused a lot (in the millions).so by your logic this means this was the wrong action to take .again an action cannot be ruled out as evil due to the fact it caused suffering.however i would say that an action which only produced suffering would be wrong .however in some cases such as in the seconed world war they are the correct no matter how much sufering is caused.but to state the point if you are to determine that only suffering counts in an actions goodness then at what level will you fix it?
biggie-n
Ok, well sticking to the topic: empire. It is equally wrong to pick on one small good and amplify it until all the ills are forgotten. The fact is, the empire caused a lot of suffering to millions of people, and in no way do the 'glorious benefits' outweigh the negative. The ratio of -ve to +ve is hideously large.

We gave you railways, that outweighs all the bad things!

Nice Society :biggrin: don't want to join, but nice!

CapenCyber
The Nazis made genocide look dapper that's for sure.

lmao how gay
The Germans always did it better anyway, we have Bulldogs, they have Rotties **sigh**

btw I'm against nazis!! just to make it clear
Reply 196
dan_man
We gave you railways, that outweighs all the bad things!

All laid directly from the cotton fields to the nearest large port... :wink:
creak
All laid directly from the cotton fields to the nearest large port... :wink:

But didn't you hear? Its ok! Because all those who died in the construction of these railways did so in the knowledge that these magical railways would feed and clothe everyone around them. And bring years of glory since economic development is solely dependent on railways. And it doesn't matter that these railways were largely decrepit at the time of Independence and were subsequently made far more efficient than even British railways.

The only reason that British investors poured capital into railway projects was because they offered a guaranteed 5% rate of return, regardless of the performance of the invested capital. The shortfall would be paid for by extorting taxes from the population.
Reply 198
Zebedee
not sure if its been mentioned but your map of the british empire is wrong.

Modern Indonesia and Papau new Guinea i'm pretty sure were known as the Dutch East Indies (and so Dutch). Also the "british guiana" is too big, you have included french guinea (sp?).

Also we had a bit more of east africa than is pictured.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:BritishEmpire1921.png

Good thread tho.

I had already pointed this out to cookiejest. His map was very approximate and did not show the British empire at the height of it's expansion. As I mentioned, Britain gained a lot of territories following WW1: former German territories in Africa such as Tanzania and Namibia and a few mandates (including Iraq) in the Middle East from the Ottoman Empire.

Yes about the comment about British Guiana but it's not just French Guiana but also Dutch Guiana (Suriname) that had been included.
Reply 199
biggie-n

I'm sorry but that is just your personal opinion. The French government were to introduce a law that obliged people to recognise the undeniable benefits of French imperialism in the world: a country that fought two nasty colonial wars in Algeria and Indochina and in which, it was forbidden to mention these wars in the popular media for many decades.
The proposed law was shot down by pressure groups but I couldn't even see the idea of such a law ever appearing in the UK, simply because the media would never tolerate it. But the fact that a law like that can even be thought up, shows that there are many people out there that see huge benefits in colonialism: and former British colonies are faring way better than most other former colonies!

Although there were freedom movements, it was not the occupied countries that revealed to Britain the concept of self-determination and human rights. Britain was way ahead in that area. The fact is, British imperialism, no matter nasty it was, occurred at a time when countries occupied eachother if they were more powerful than their neighbour. Nothing to do with one country being nicer than the other... If India had been more powerful, had an incredible sea power and economu, then it would have been the opposite: India occupying Britain. No doubt about that.

I think in the case of India, colonialism is seen with a lot of bitterness because that part of the world was already very civilised before European powers turned up and Britain took advantage of the political divisions within the South Asian continent to occupy it. India didn't really need Britain as much as Britain needed India... in today's world, there's no denying that India benefits from its shared history with Britain and its language. But when you look at China, you realise that a similar great civilisation didn't need to be colonised to become great (however if there had not been so many exchanges with European superpowers, China wouldn't be what it is).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending