The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

No higher maths for PPE course. Will I struggle?

Hi there so I've narrowed my choices down to International Politics or Politics,
Philosophy and Economics. I'd quite like to do PPE however I do not have higher mathematics. I have a B at Int 2 and never took higher in 6th year. Do you think I would struggle in this course with the economics? I'm worried it might be a bit of a gamble instead of taking PI however on the course requirements it says a C at Int 2 is the minimum requirement so I'm not sure what to think.

Any advice/knowledge of the course is greatly appeciated.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi,
I'm currently doing a joint in Econ and Maths at Stirling.
I know a couple of people doing PPE who haven't done higher maths - they find the maths involved in Economics quite challenging. This is mainly an issue in intermediate and advanced micro and advanced macro.

However, as all other degrees, only your grades in 3rd and 4th year count towards your final classification.
It's only up to 5th semester (1st semester in 3rd year) that your cores modules are chosen for you in Econ on PPE, so after this you are free to chose any economics courses you like. So most PPE students I know are currently doing the economics modules with less maths i.e. environmental economics, behavioural economics etc. and really enjoying it!
So it might be a struggle through intermediate and advanced micro, but after that you are free to chose for yourself.
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Reply 2
Original post by Andersen94
Hi,
I'm currently doing a joint in Econ and Maths at Stirling.
I know a couple of people doing PPE who haven't done higher maths - they find the maths involved in Economics quite challenging. This is mainly an issue in intermediate and advanced micro and advanced macro.

However, as all other degrees, only your grades in 3rd and 4th year count towards your final classification.
It's only up to 5th semester (1st semester in 3rd year) that your cores modules are chosen for you in Econ on PPE, so after this you are free to chose any economics courses you like. So most PPE students I know are currently doing the economics modules with less maths i.e. environmental economics, behavioural economics etc. and really enjoying it!
So it might be a struggle through intermediate and advanced micro, but after that you are free to chose for yourself.

Thanks alot for that - you may have just swayed my opinion more towards PPE. Will have a look into it. Is it also the case if worst came to worst I could drop economics in year 3? Then continue with Politics and Philosophy?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by curtis97
Thanks alot for that - you may have just swayed my opinion more towards PPE. Will have a look into it. Is it also the case if worst came to worst I could drop economics in year 3? Then continue with Politics and Philosophy?

Yes, you can drop it in second semester of year 3 :smile: So it's only one semester that "counts" where you have to take Economics.
The IP is also a great programme, but I'd argue that PPE let's you have a broader degree and focus more on the specific topics that are cross-disciplinary!

Quick Reply

Latest