The Student Room Group

York PPE vs Durham Philosophy & Politics

I've just sent my UCAS application through. These are some of my insurance/safe options - which one would be more employable generally?

I know that Durham is much further up in the rankings but would absence of economics significantly affect employability? I'm not really that interested in the economics component and I don't study maths at A-Level so I couldn't apply for Durham PPE.

Thanks!
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 1
Both Russel Group universities so both are very employable. Simple. Pick whichever one you think suits you better.
Employers don't care if you studied economics unless you're applying to an economic policy based role in the civil service or in central banks or similar. For anything else it's no better or worse than any other subject.

I know that students seem to think economics magically makes them "employable" if it's on their degree title but that's really not how it works. And the correlation between higher initial salaries for economics graduates does not imply a causal relationship between the degree title - and it's much more likely that the kinds of students choosing to study economics in the first place are very career oriented and thus likely to engage in the activities needed to get more lucrative graduate roles. If the same students did another degree they would most likely have a similar outcome.
Original post by Castherius
I've just sent my UCAS application through. These are some of my insurance/safe options - which one would be more employable generally?

I know that Durham is much further up in the rankings but would absence of economics significantly affect employability? I'm not really that interested in the economics component and I don't study maths at A-Level so I couldn't apply for Durham PPE.

Thanks!

Hi!

It's great to hear you are interested in York! Both universities offer great courses so I'm sure you will have a fab time wherever you choose. At York, we have a dedicated 'School of PPE' so students are supported by the School across all areas of PPE. Students on all our programmes have the option of a placement year which will give you some real life experience to help you with your employability. There is also the Club of PEP who organise a range of events outside of the course which all PPE students can attend to give you insight into future career opportunities. These include alumni speakers as well as industry figures. Finally, if you aren't too interested in the Economics component, we do also offer a Philosophy and Politics course at York.

I hope this gives you a bit more information - feel free to get in touch if you have any questions!

Hazel :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending