The Student Room Group

University Expenditure???

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TSRFT8
Someone break down how much money they spend weekly/monthly at university.

I will be getting the minimum loan (£3800) or something like that. My accommodation will be roughly £5,500.

So taking out the biggest expenditure how much more money will i roughly need monthly or weekly in order to get by.

I want an average for things like food, going out etc etc etc

Also can someone tell me if it is worth taking a car to university? And what the pros and cons of it are? :smile:

£90 a month on food, can't help with going out :tongue:
-Rent is 2.6k annually
-Bills £500 annually
-Food £20-25 weekly
-Transport £300 annually
-Toiletries £5 a month

They're the absolutely necessary expenses.

On top of that I probably spend on average around £20 a week on non essentials.
I don't go out very much any more, but it can be done cheaply if you're willing to pre-drink and not go to clubs where you have to pay entry or where the drinks are really expensive. Usually if I go out I won't spend more than £15-20, and that is without pre drinks. If I pre drink I might not spend any money at all when out except on transport.

Completely depends on you and your area whether taking a car is worth it. If you're going to live in a big city with good transport links it'll probably be a complete waste of money to take it. You also need to think about where you can park it, and whether it's going to be pricey to do so.
Reply 3
Original post by TSRFT8
Also can someone tell me if it is worth taking a car to university? And what the pros and cons of it are? :smile:

It's basically a huge, unnecessary cost... when you're so tight on funds as it is, it really ain't worth it unless you're going to be doing a lot of travelling.
Original post by SophieSmall
-Rent is 2.6k annually
-Bills £500 annually
-Food £20-25 weekly
-Transport £300 annually
-Toiletries £5 a month

How do you keep your costs so low? Also can i ask what you deem as non essential?

Original post by claireestelle
£90 a month on food, can't help with going out :tongue:

WHAT?!? HOW?? :O

Original post by Alexion
It's basically a huge, unnecessary cost... when you're so tight on funds as it is, it really ain't worth it unless you're going to be doing a lot of travelling.

The cost isnt the problem, i sort of want to know whether the cost is worth it.. In terms of things like accessibility, transport links and stuff. However i dont think public transport is really all that great.
Original post by TSRFT8
How do you keep your costs so low? Also can i ask what you deem as non essential?

I don't go for expensive accommodation or "luxury" it's just a waste of money in my eyes. I'm in a shared house and I share a bathroom and kitchen and it's a nice house and completely fine. When I'm happy with this place I'd be a complete fool to go for a place several thousand pounds more expensive.

I keep food costs low by shopping at places like adli/lidl and home bargains and asda for some other stuff. I know which shops are best for which stuff in terms of price. I can also cook and know how to do so cheaply, healthily and with variety at that cost.

Unnecessary to me is basically anything you don't need to survive (food, transport, rent). But in being frugal with my money with those things it means I have quite a lot of spare money lying around for when I actually want to spend money on something I enjoy. It's about a balance really, on a tight budget you can't have luxuries all the time. You need to find a balance you can afford, and to me that balance is only buying what is necessary so I don't have to worry about buying luxuries every now and again. Because I am careful with the amount of money I spend on food shopping I can afford to go out to dinner when my friends ask at the drop of a hat. And because I always shop within a budget when I want or need new things like clothes or shoes I can afford to do so more often than if I just bought something regardless of cost.

I probably sound like I don't have much of a life or must live life uncomfortably, but I actually live very comfortably and can afford to do so because of the way I budget.

Also £90 a month for food as the other user said is very easy to do.
Original post by TSRFT8

Meal planning made it really easy and never wasted anything.
Original post by SophieSmall
-Rent is 2.6k annually
-Bills £500 annually
-Food £20-25 weekly
-Transport £300 annually
-Toiletries £5 a month

I don't go out very much any more, but it can be done cheaply if you're willing to pre-drink and not go to clubs where you have to pay entry or where the drinks are really expensive. Usually if I go out I won't spend more than £15-20, and that is without pre drinks. If I pre drink I might not spend any money at all when out except on transport.

Completely depends on you and your area whether taking a car is worth it. If you're going to live in a big city with good transport links it'll probably be a complete waste of money to take it. You also need to think about where you can park it, and whether it's going to be pricey to do so.

£20-25 on food per week?

I remember that was my my budget during uni too. Guessing your diet is mostly tesco/asda value?

Thankfully made some money during my summers and didnt have to live like that for my whole 3 yrs.
Original post by Gucci Mane.
£20-25 on food per week?

I remember that was my my budget during uni too. Guessing your diet is mostly tesco/asda value?

Thankfully made some money during my summers and didnt have to live like that for my whole 3 yrs.

Nothing wrong with the value products if we're talking about cupboard staples like kidney beans and chopped tomatoes. Just senseless to buy branded. But I don't live of tesco value custard creams and yoghurt and noodles if that is what you mean.

I eat very well on that amount of money and don't at all feel deprived or like I even have to try to eat for that amount of money.

Quick Reply

Latest