Why do Northern Irish students get less student finance?

Watch
Mirekalexander
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm thinking of applying to university in London. The max student finance NI loan I can get is up to £6,780. Compared to student finance England up to £12,010. Why is the amount available to Northern Irish students studying in London nearly half as low? Clearly, the living costs don't differ for all UK students?
Malthedon
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hiya, I’m not entirely sure tbh. This sounds so discriminatory. I think it’s because universities in NI have a much lower tuition fees compared to the rest of the UK but then again idk how this links to the maintenance loan or studying in London. Surely it’s only fair if u were to receive the same amount as English students?
Mirekalexander
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Malthedon)
Hiya, I’m not entirely sure tbh. This sounds so discriminatory. I think it’s because universities in NI have a much lower tuition fees compared to the rest of the UK but then again idk how this links to the maintenance loan or studying in London. Surely it’s only fair if u were to receive the same amount as English students?
Yes very true. It just made me think about how students are supposed to even cover their accommodation fees. The cheapest accommodation option provided by my university is £7392 for 42 weeks. Not sure what Arlene is thinking there! 😂
Malthedon
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Mirekalexander)
Yes very true. It just made me think about how students are supposed to even cover their accommodation fees. The cheapest accommodation option provided by my university is £7392 for 42 weeks. Not sure what Arlene is thinking there! 😂
Umm.. unless ur not a millionaire that should be no bother haha. How cruel. Why do u lot not have the same opportunities as many of us? Without a maintenance loan, I'm sure no student would survive in London.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (186)
5.01%
Uncertainty around my education (543)
14.63%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (413)
11.13%
Lack of purpose or motivation (511)
13.77%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (183)
4.93%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (222)
5.98%
Loneliness (313)
8.43%
Financial worries (136)
3.66%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (145)
3.91%
Exposure to negative news/social media (168)
4.53%
Lack of real life entertainment (211)
5.68%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (332)
8.94%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (349)
9.4%

Watched Threads