The Student Room Group

Why do Northern Irish students get less student finance?

I'm thinking of applying to university in London. The max student finance NI loan I can get is up to £6,780. Compared to student finance England up to £12,010. Why is the amount available to Northern Irish students studying in London nearly half as low? Clearly, the living costs don't differ for all UK students?
Hiya, I’m not entirely sure tbh. This sounds so discriminatory. I think it’s because universities in NI have a much lower tuition fees compared to the rest of the UK but then again idk how this links to the maintenance loan or studying in London. Surely it’s only fair if u were to receive the same amount as English students?
Original post by Malthedon
Hiya, I’m not entirely sure tbh. This sounds so discriminatory. I think it’s because universities in NI have a much lower tuition fees compared to the rest of the UK but then again idk how this links to the maintenance loan or studying in London. Surely it’s only fair if u were to receive the same amount as English students?

Yes very true. It just made me think about how students are supposed to even cover their accommodation fees. The cheapest accommodation option provided by my university is £7392 for 42 weeks. Not sure what Arlene is thinking there! 😂
Original post by Mirekalexander
Yes very true. It just made me think about how students are supposed to even cover their accommodation fees. The cheapest accommodation option provided by my university is £7392 for 42 weeks. Not sure what Arlene is thinking there! 😂

Umm.. unless ur not a millionaire that should be no bother haha. How cruel. Why do u lot not have the same opportunities as many of us? Without a maintenance loan, I'm sure no student would survive in London.
Reply 4
I’m studying in London at the minute. QMUL, SFNI gives me about £9000, my equivalent English counterparts get like you said about £12000. Both of us get a means assessed bursary of about £1650 from QMUL. It isn’t really liveable, especially if you have social commitments but I just saved some money on a gap year and i work throughout the year and over summer. Imperial gives bursaries of up to £6000 I think for lower income students. A hard university to get into given the grade requirements but definitely the most viable option for lower income NI residents wanting to study in London. If you do get the grades to study at Imperial it’s also worthwhile to apply for the all Ireland scholarship scheme. £5500 for the top 25 A level scorers in Northern Ireland that register. Student bank accounts are a necessary. During exam time you want to take time off work to study but your expenditure will roughly be the same, the arranged overdraft just lets you go a bit negative before summer so you can work it back into positive ahead of the next year. Helps with deposits on housing too, where you mightn’t have received student finance yet. Obviously use with caution, you will have to pay it back at some stage and there is a limit on the overdraft. I think I’m late to reply to this feed but hopefully it helps anyone faced with a similar issue. Just check out what bursaries the universities offer which are means assessed
Original post by Mirekalexander
I'm thinking of applying to university in London. The max student finance NI loan I can get is up to £6,780. Compared to student finance England up to £12,010. Why is the amount available to Northern Irish students studying in London nearly half as low? Clearly, the living costs don't differ for all UK students?

it's honestly a joke. I'm thinking of sending a letter to the MP about this cause even though there was a rise it's still 2k less than England's and even England's student finance isn't enough!
I love the way it was "40% increase" I haven't even got 20% more
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by courtzbella
it's honestly a joke. I'm thinking of sending a letter to the MP about this cause even though there was a rise it's still 2k less than England's and even England's student finance isn't enough!

Yes it's supper unfair as it makes NI students more disadvantaged.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending